Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
I've been riding for a long time but the 09 almost bit me one day. Left for a ride, was about a half mile from home when I hit an expansion strip that threw me backwards, opening the throttle at the same time. I caught myself just before going off the bike. It shook me up to the point of considering selling the bike. I now leave home in B mode until I'm a few miles from home where there aren't so many expansion strips. Then it's either STD or A mode, depending on my mood. I will say this bike has the most sensitive/abrupt throttle I've experienced.

It is also probably the best bike I've owned.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It's not any more dangerous than any Bike I have ever owned or ridden. It's all about YOU, not the bike. I am 52 and I currently have a Tuono which is the fastest bike I have ever owned but I treat it with the respect it deserves. Throughout my 30 years of riding I have ridden or owned many bikes fast and slow, including Hyabusa's, Ducati's, built KZ 1000's, Enduro's, MX Bikes and sport bikes of all kinds. I have NEVER hopped on a bike and been scared to ride it...BUT...I have ALWAYS hopped on a bike and had respect for it....no matter what. As I think Lou mentioned....it's not about the bike, it's about YOU and whether or not you have the discipline to ride them with the respect they deserve! Adhere to that and you will be fine.

Also, for the record, the FZ-09 was one of the easier (and most fun) bikes I have ever rode and owned (plan on an ECU flash though). :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
It's a great handling bike with lots of power that can be controlled without too much problem. Run it in B mode or gear it a little taller if you're worried. I'm currently running a 17T front and 43 rear and use it 95% of the time in standard mode. It's a pleasure to ride and I don't feel out of control at any time. My only complaint is the low speed twitchyness but will cure that with a remap of the ECU.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for the reply guys, much is appreciated.

Would like to ask a few more questions before I brush up on my final decision.

My commute usually consist of a stretch of motorway and very busy roads.

When I cruise at around 80mph, is the wind that bad and does the handlebars vibrate a lot. I've seen videos where the fz09's handlebars wobble when they go past 110mph (not that ill be doing that consistently). Would you recommend a steering damper? Also, is the bike capable of cruising at very slow speeds for filering purposes and not feel 'jolty' when I pull the throttle? I've seen many reviews mentioning how the throttle doesnt engage until a certain point and when you engage it, it is too much throttle, is this true?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Check out a product called a Throttle Tamer. Your dealer should help you if you have trouble finding it. It will make a difference in how abrupt the throttle opens. For me it removed the need to have the ECU flashed. I liked it so much I added one to my Gen 2 FZ1 even after having that bike's ECU flashed.

·
Registered
841 Posts

When I cruise at around 80mph, is the wind that bad and does the handlebars vibrate a lot. I've seen videos where the fz09's handlebars wobble when they go past 110mph (not that ill be doing that consistently). Would you recommend a steering damper? Also, is the bike capable of cruising at very slow speeds for filering purposes and not feel 'jolty' when I pull the throttle? I've seen many reviews mentioning how the throttle doesnt engage until a certain point and when you engage it, it is too much throttle, is this true?
80 is fine but it depends on the day and how windy it is and whether you are riding into it or with it....just like any naked bike. If the FZ is set up right it shouldn't have any wobble...BUT....I put a GPR damper on mine and it transformed it. I would do it again....its a great mod, period. Do yourself a favor and get an ECU flash (I did Ivan's cause because his low speed driveability is the best) and you will never have a worry about jerkiness again, lol. Although what you are hearing about it being that undriveable is greatly exaggerated, lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I was originally interested in the FZ07 (but after test riding the fz07, fz09, fz10 and the xsr) i ended up liking the xsr the most (basically a fz09 for the most part).

A steering damper never hurts but its not necessary imo. Going 80 on the freeway and the wind doesn't bother me. And I lane split (filter) all the time in A mode and it works fine for me, as others have said you can get a ecu flash if you dont like the throttle. FZ10 B mode (equivalent to Fz09 A mode, silly yamaha) felt much more jerky to me.

Fz07: vibrates the most, wind got uncomfortable at 60+ mph. Best mpg thought
Fz09: Vibrates less, felt the wind much less than fz07 and you will really notice the difference of power at freeways speeds compared to the Fz07 ;)
XSR: same as fz09 except 15lbs heavier and for some reason i felt the wind less on this compared to the fz09
FZ10: Smoothest, feels like less power than fz09 0-40. Feels like A LOT more power than fz09 40+. Worst mpg

·
Registered
3,079 Posts

Mine was a bit tiring at first at highway pace. Once I install a little fly screen and lower the handlebars (ProTapper Carmichael) it fix everything. Steering damper won't be the first thing I would do, if any. Getting the right springs for you weight would be the right thing to do and if you can invest in a rear shock (many option out there for every budget) that would be a good start.

Handlebar wobble is due to riding input more than anything...

·
Registered
356 Posts

All legal speed limits on this bike are fine. I was worried about that when I bought mine too. It's when you hit 90 and 100mph that things start to get a little windy.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have no issues with wobble all the way up the range. The wind was my biggest issue over 80mph, but now with the new helmet blocking most of the sound and a good set of riding ear plugs the wind doesn’t bother me. The only issue I have is hand cramps. Try to find a cruise control add on for those highway stints so you can flex the hand a little.

And I second the tune thing. I went with vcyclenut and ride only A mode. He smooths out the throttle were it’s not so jumpy in A mode & he also cleans up the other two modes for the better. Plus all the other stock BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I was out in a fairly stiff breeze recently, maybe 30km/h, I was doing 120 -130 km/h into it quite often and found it OK. I have a smallish Givi screen that helps. I don't know if I could do that for more than a couple of hours though. I've had one mild wind induced weave, but otherwise it's been fine up to 180 k's. Had the odd headshake accelerating out of bends, but that's just fun.
The 09 is a bit like my car, it's not what it does, but how it does it that's enjoyable. It felt much more responsive and lunatic under 120k's than an 899 I rode. Although, unlike my car, the 09 is bloody quick by any measure.

Mine's fine in traffic in A or STD mode with the O2 controller fitted. When it was stock B mode was needed for traffic.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The head wobble at speed is not a universal problem with the bike. It seems to only certain machines. Some people blame tires, others point to suspension. I've had my fz over 120 mph, accelerating hard, and had no wobble at all. I've adjusted my suspension by starting on a magazines recommendation for my weight and I'm a stickler about tire pressure. I wanted a dampener more on my 2007 R6 than I do on the 2016 FZ. I have had the front end come up much faster than expected, but I was trying to pick the wheel up. It didn't just happen to me. Other times under hard acceleration you will get power wheelies but a good rider will adjust to this (AND ENJOY THE HECK OUT OF IT). I left a parking lot and while still leaning from my turn out of the lot, I powered the front wheel up under some hard acceleration. It was probably the coolest feeling I've had on this machine, that moment when you realized you just man handled it for a second!! I had no intention of doing the leaning power wheelie, just accelerating hard for smiles.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The only issue I have is hand cramps. Try to find a cruise control add on for those highway stints so you can flex the hand a little.
I have the ATLAS throttle lock. Works great. I'd rather an electronic cruise, but this was much cheaper and does the job. !!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the ATLAS throttle lock. Works great. I'd rather an electronic cruise, but this was much cheaper and does the job. !!!
I’ll have to look into that one. I have bar end mirrors and can’t use some of the others that are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
The modes do help out allot when your first riding it. Got a 2017 about 5 month ago. Prior to that I had a CBR600RR which I had for about a year and half. When I first got on the bike I was nervous as hell. I knew that the bike had more power but I didn't understand exactly what that meant until I had to drive it back from the dealership. Lets just say I popped an accident wheelie and it scared the shit out of me. At the first light I switched it to B mode and traction to level 2. Essentially with traction at level 2 it wont let the front wheel off the ground. Even if you crank it, the wheel will come up a bit, you can feel it for a second, but the engine will immediately kill the power so that it touches the ground again. Once the sensor recognizes the wheel is back on the ground it gives you back full control.

So as others have said it is on the driver. You can manage the power with the different modes and traction settings. I will say that it is 100 times more fun/exciting to drive then my CBR600RR. No regrets. Its a versatile bike. Great for city driving and for the twisty roads. Its not only the power that gives it the "scare" factor but also the riding position, which is upright, making it much easier to wheelie (intentional or not).

If you have experience riding then you will have no problem learning how to ride it just fine. I keep it in standard (between A and B mode) with traction on 1 for regular usage (default).

·
Registered
304 Posts
The FZ09 is not that powerful. It weighs 420lb and has 105Hp. A decent liter bike has the same weight or less and 180+HP.

The difference with the FZ09 is the throttle response off zero throttle is not very smooth or gentle. The modes, or an ECU flash calm that a little. It has a short wheelbase and the weight distribution makes it easy to wheelie. That’s why the bike gets this “danger” tag.

But all of this is not that relevant. You are the one turning the throttle. The book is called “Twist of the Wrist” for a reason. Most riders have terrible throttle control. Do some courses, Total Control IRC 1-2, ARC 1-2. Superbike school, whatever you can afford. Superbike school use 207Hp S1000RRs for newbie riders - because the throttle is so smooth rides crash less. This is where the FZ can bite you.
In good hands it’s an easy, fun ride. I don’t even think it’s really that powerful, but it is fun.
If you like to crank on the throttle or panic at every bump and chop the gas, take clean underwear.

Small phone + crap vision = my excuse for typos

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The biggest difference is a FZ-09 has a flat Torque curve and a linear HP curve, where all inline fours & litre bikes don't really wake up until you hit six to seven thousand RPM.

If you compare a FZ-09 dyno curve to a YZF-R1 dyno curve, you can see this.

https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/12/...e-dyno-run-video-and-performance-chart#page-2

2016 FZ-09 Dyno Chart
Line Text Font Parallel Diagram

https://www.cycleworld.com/2016-yamaha-yzf-r1-sportbike-motorcycle-review-dyno-test

2016 YZF-R1 Dyno Chart
Line Green Text Parallel Font

This is what gets a lot of heavy handed riders in trouble on an FZ-09, the amount of torque available at low RPM's. If you ride a FZ-09 like it's an inline four, that needs higher rev's to get anything to happen, the FZ-09 will kick your butt in a hurry.

Reactions: Crossbar1773

·
Banned
1,065 Posts
In my opinion, it's not the power that makes the FZ09 dangerous, it's the horrible suspension and terrible braking.

Nothing is more important for your safety than being able to brake proficiently, and the FZ09 will not do that out of the box. It makes it very easy to get into trouble.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Philiphollis got right. I power wheelied on the exit to a roundabout as I transitioned from right to left lean. Right in front of the local Yamaha dealers work truck

I fizzed at the bung for 5 minutes.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts