Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been planning on getting the fz09 after many years of saving. I've searched the internet about reviews, top speed, power etc.. on youtube and found many people highlighting how dangerous it is. I've come through a video where he said he almost backflipped when encountering a bump as he twisted his throttle by just a little and seeing C2W saying even B MODE is too much power to feel 'controllable'. Is it that dangerous or are those exaggerations?

I've ridden a 125 for 2 years and a 500 for a year, is that enough to cope with the torque monster?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Honestly it all depends on the rider. If you've been riding for three years and have good habits and haven't wrecked - I'd say go for it. I jumped to the FZ09 from a 500 after just a year (and less thank 1200 miles under my belt). What matters most is knowing your limitations and making good decisions. Basically just use your head and you'll be fine.

I personally don't like B mode on my 2017 FZ. It doesn't have any less power just delays it's delivery. I've found Standard mode to be perfect. Just don't go WOT in first gear and you'll be fine.

If you can test drive one at your local dealership that would be ideal. I thought the FZ would be way too much for me until I test road it (albeit conservatively). Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
just for example: I had a 883 sportster almost the same size motor as the FZ, a much heavier motorcycle, close to 700 pounds, the fZ only weights close to 4.

traded that for a 250, no power, but very nimble handling.

when I went to get my FZ, the guy who sold me the fz at the dealership said something about the 'coating the new tires had' and wait until they got scuffed in to give it hell.

he said they had sold a motorcycle to someone who just got their license , and they took off out of the parking lot like a idiot, and threw the motorcycle over the guardrail leading to the highway.

in my 2 years of ownership, I only have one accidental wheelie happen, and tired to duplicate that accident, and do a intentional wheelie, and only managed to do that once, it just scares the shit out of me trying to make the front wheel come up.

its possible. but if you are careful, the FZ is manageable.

as far as speed, its fast as f**k.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I keep mine in A mode and haven't have any unintentional wheelies. Does it have tons of power? Yes. Will you be able to handle it? Depends on the rider.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,089 Posts
These days, there are no "dangerous bikes". But there are dangerous riders who don't take the time to learn a bike's individual little quirks, and don't respect what motorcycles are capable of. If you're "that guy", stay away from motorcycles in general. If you're not, enjoy your new FZ... :icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Any motorcycle is dangerous. The fz is a killer all around bike but it can kick your ass if you dont respect it. That being said.....get the 9!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am a firm believer that the motorcycle is as dangerous as the guy riding it. Yes, the 09 is very "nervous", but to me, it makes it fun. Enjoy your 09!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Here's a thought. Have you pushed your 500 to its limits? If so, I don't think you'll have a problem with the FZ. If not, be afraid. Be very afraid ... .:p

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been planning on getting the fz09 after many years of saving. I've searched the internet about reviews, top speed, power etc.. on youtube and found many people highlighting how dangerous it is. I've come through a video where he said he almost backflipped when encountering a bump as he twisted his throttle by just a little and seeing C2W saying even B MODE is too much power to feel 'controllable'. Is it that dangerous or are those exaggerations?

I've ridden a 125 for 2 years and a 500 for a year, is that enough to cope with the torque monster?
I've been licensed for 3 years, first season of ownership and just came off an R3 i put 5400kms on since July. The R3 is probably 5-10hp behind your 500 but weighs much less.

The FZ09 is a completely different monster, i've had it for a week and run in B mode with Traction Control level 2 and if you crack the throttle in 1st it will try over and over to lift the front end. You really need a good head on your shoulders...if you`re the kind to race cars at every light then i'd say get something more forgiving. It goes 0-100 real quick..

Ride safe, wear gear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been licensed for 3 years, first season of ownership and just came off an R3 i put 5400kms on since July. The R3 is probably 5-10hp behind your 500 but weighs much less.

The FZ09 is a completely different monster, i've had it for a week and run in B mode with Traction Control level 2 and if you crack the throttle in 1st it will try over and over to lift the front end. You really need a good head on your shoulders...if you`re the kind to race cars at every light then i'd say get something more forgiving. It goes 0-100 real quick..

Ride safe, wear gear.

Hey Evo! Its big pops ;)

@ OP

Yes its powerful, delivery is instant, and front wheel comes up easy.
But if you have experience and good throttle control you'll be alright

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
No, It's not dangerous. If it hasn't got a rider on it, it'll just sit there nice and calmly. Put the wrong rider on it, and an electric bicycle is dangerous.
I popped an unintentional wheelie on mine on the second ride, but it showed no sign of looping, and settled back down nice and smoothly.
Treat it with respect, start gently.

Reactions: Crossbar1773

·
Registered
890 Posts
The "nervous & light" comments are from those who have never tried a supermoto. (not an insult)
I've come to the FZ09 from the supermoto world and to me, it's heavy and stable.
It depends on what you're used to, and not just the engine size!!

IMO, the 9 can be a great first bike even....If you treat it with respect!!!
Yes, the 9 has the power to get you in trouble VERY quickly, but as long as you can restrain your wrist, you should be fine.

I have to say, coming out of a highway off/on-ramp corner, and having the front float up as you merge with the other highway is....Seductive!!!

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I took my FZ-09 on its first test ride. I turned onto an open highway and cracked the throttle in first gear. Big surprise as the front tire leaped up off the road. Lesson learned immediately. Don’t ever do that in first gear. Never had any issues since. Run it in standard mode until you feel that you need more. You very well may not. Test ride one, cautiously, and if it’s too much, ride an FZ-07. Also a great bike and much more motorcycle than your 500.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As others have said, it all depends on the rider. After reading all the reviews, when i first got mine i was scared that the bike was a "torque monster" and all that. The front wheel can be very light on hard accels, but if you have good throttle control you will have a hard time doing a unintentional wheelie.

I would say go for it, and keep it in B mode TC 2 for until you get used to it. After that set it to whatever. I keep mine in A mode TC 1.

As long as you respect the bike and don't try to do things out of your skill level you will be fine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It very much depends on the rider. I bought it for a second bike to my gsxr. I completely forgot what I was riding one day and when I went to pass a car, I rode a damn near 12 o’clock wheelie past them. The bike has loads of bottom end, but it is manageable. My biggest problem is going directly from my mini to this bike.

·
Registered
584 Posts
this topic has been touched on quite a few times. You may not be a beginner but you will be when you get on the FZ for the first time.
try this thread...."FZ-09 not a beginner's bike.... example here"

thread is 245 posts deep from 10/19/13 you might want to read it.

good luck , I think you already have your mind made up. Is it in the garage yet?

Reactions: Tigershark

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yes, it's extremely dangerous!

Dangerous to your face muscles, because they'll be cramping from that ear to ear grin you'll have while riding it.

Dangerous to your bank account because of all the nice farkles you 'll want to buy for it.

Dangerous to your bank account (again) because you'll want to ride it all the time and maintenance, gas and insurance will cost you $5k/year.

Dangerous to your domestic relationship if your other half doesn't ride, because you'll always want be out on the FZ.

Dangerous to your vacation time at work, because you'll use all your vacation to go riding.

Dangerous to your job, because after you use all of your vacation, you'll start using 'sick' days to go riding.

Dangerous to you, because now that you've spent all your money on the bike, your other half has left, and you've been fired from your job, you're going to be homeless.

All joking aside, it seems like you've got a couple years experience, so IF you are smart with it, and can control yourself and learn what this bike is all about, you should be fine as long as you RESPECT it. It doesn't have close to 200hp like the 1000cc supersports do, but it thinks it does, and taking off from a standstill, it acts like it does.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I rode a CBR500r for 4 months. Bought a 600rr. That was fun but annoying for long trips. Bought the FZ09.

As most people said here, it's up to you. I'm 32, married, and pretty relaxed. I like to think I have a good head on my shoulders and take things slow.

However, if you make a mistake on the throttle on a 500 nothing much happens, whereas on an FZ it could really screw your day up.

I remember learning to downshift. I never really rev matched on the 500r, but I wanted to learn after owning the 600. I screwed up SUPER bad one time and almost lost control. I wasn't trying to be reckless, speeding, or popping wheelies, but something as small as rev matching almost threw me off the bike. Instead of a quick blip I held the throttle open for a fast moment, just as I dropped the clutch.

So ya - bigger bikes make little mistakes more pronounced. Other than that - take it slow. No wide open throttle for a LONG time.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts