Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been lusting over the FZ-09 for quite some time, but the wife and I both know it's not the "tamest" of bikes by any means. I am 37 years old and haven't owned or ridden a bike in almost 10 years (haven't been on a bicycle either). In my teens I had a little 125cc dirt bike and in my early twenties had a CBR600, but I don't feel 100% sure I am ready to just hop on an FZ as my "first" bike after 10 years of being motorcycle-less. What is everyone's thoughts on this? Other than the dirt bike falling over in the garage, I've never dropped a bike and don't plan on starting any time soon. :eagerness:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It will definitely be a while before I let myself even think of pulling a wheelie. Nice profile pic btw. :grin:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was just about to say his profile pic should be noted. Advice from someone obviously having the appropriate amount of fun associated with this motorcycle , should be listened to.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Retake a msf course at the very least. But you may want to check out a tamer bike like the fz07
Exactly. And/or a USED Ninja250 for $2500 +\- Ride Ninja for several months and sharpen your skills; you'll get back 95% of your purchase price whenever you unload the ninja.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will definitely be taking the MSF course again, but it's so hard to even consider a Ninja 250 though it would probably be the smart thing to do. I never had any problem with the CBR or dirt bike, but it has been 10 years so maybe you are right. Maybe I can find someone I know that has a little Honda Rebel or something I could ride awhile to get the hang of things again while I look for my FZ-09.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I gotta agree with Steve and Beck here, if you haven't been on a brutally quick street bike in 10 years, an MSF course would be super beneficial, and, depending on where you live, it might be any easier route to obtaining a MC endorsement. Also, shop around for insurance for the 09 first, it can be pretty pricy, and may be a determining factor in what you buy. And also, like Beck said, check into an FZ07 as well, it may suit your needs better and would be cheaper on insurance. Best of luck with your decision...:eagerness:

·
Registered
98 Posts
FZ09 is a fairly easy bike to ride, just put it in B mode and get used to it for a few weeks and you will be fine. However if I was just starting to get used to clutch/throttle control then it might not be the best. But i'm assuming you know the basics of riding already.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
FZ09 is a fairly easy bike to ride, just put it in B mode and get used to it for a few weeks and you will be fine. However if I was just starting to get used to clutch/throttle control then it might not be the best. But i'm assuming you know the basics of riding already.
+ 100000

Roll all 10 posts together and your answer is clear.....B mode for awhile, lol

Reactions: fzforme

·
Registered
350 Posts
I too agree that something else for a few months would be better. If the 250 is too hard on your ego ( should not be the ninjette is a hoot) then try a 500 ninja. Or a 650 Suzy sv. Get a nice used stock one and you will get 90% of your money back. Really the fz is not a good bike to reacquaint yourself with riding on. Don't want to run you away from a nice bike but although you might want a Ferrari, it's not a good choice to relearn driving on. They will still be for sale in 3 months.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you have been lusting over the FZ9 then you should go for it my friend. I'm 42 and love this bike. B mode is very tame and easy to handle, easier than that 600 would have been. you just need to remember to switch into that mode before you take off, or it can be a little tricky for the novice to get into B while driving in traffic. Because the default STD mode is indeed anything but tame :) But rumor has it a 2015 yamaha flash could fix it soon, or one of the aftermarket ones discussed on this board also tame it I think.

but yes also nothing wrong with a used smaller bike to get your feet wet "just in case", then trade up for something bigger and shinier after some hours of saddle time and maybe after getting that embarrassing car wash slip and dented gas tank out of the way (thats what my KLR650 was for), but personally, for the hassle of buying and selling things, get the bike you want, life is short :) And a motorcycle safety course is never a bad idea for anyone.

·
Registered
474 Posts
How many miles did you put on your 600? It sounds like you are the cautious type just by asking this question, and as long as you can exercise some self control I think you will be fine with the 09.

Take your time to get familiar with her, adjust the controls to your liking, and practice often.

Reactions: beck and Steve101

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't see investing in a bike to relearn "how to ride" and then switch to an FZ-09. I think the 09 is the best choice (the most bang for the bucks). You are mature enough to exercise self-restraint and ride within your limitations. You can crash and burn on a scooter. If you crash and burn on an FZ-09, at least you'll do it with a big smile! I can't believe Steve did not tell you to make sure and buy a RED one. He thinks they are the most rapid. Don't know where he got that idea. Go figure.
Ride safe and the best of luck! :color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was kinda in the same position, older, wiser (unless you ask my wife) and wanting to ride again after a 10 year hiatus. I had been riding since I was a kid, spent about 2 years in my early 20's with my only transportation being a 1990 Kawasaki ZR550, so I had experience but not with anything recently. I loved what I saw about the FZ, so I took the MSF course to get my skills back, (highly recommended) and got the FZ. I took it easy for a while in B mode until I got comfortable, then I upped it to STD mode. After 1700 miles back and forth to work in nothing but STD mode, I find that the FZ is a great bike and as long as I can control my urge to pass everyone and everything, it is easy to handle. I still haven't tried A mode, but I'm getting the itch, so maybe soon. I also haven't found it to be a wheelie machine like some say, but maybe I'm not riding it as hard as everyone and I haven't had the ECU flashed yet.

IMO, if you take it easy for a while, ride in your limits and know what you are getting in to, you should be fine. Only you will be the one to know if you can handle it. If there are any doubts, then maybe a smaller bike would be a better starting point.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
137 Posts
One word of advice, make sure you get one that has had the official ECU flash as it makes a big difference......enjoy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Been in the exact same condition, been riding a cbr900 then nothing for ten years...

This bike is the reason why I'm back on two wheels, no way I'd have bought anything else.

I'd say, buy it and try to stay calm at first, which was pretty hard for me, confidence will be back quick you'll see.
Same thing as bicycle, you never unlearn that, you just get rusty.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Take the MSF course and go buy one. Before I bought mine I'd ridden my NX250 a total of about 4 hours. As long as you respect the power and ride around in B mode for the first few months you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts