Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to Costco today and I was wearing an Icon jacket. The kid at the door was like,"whoa, tell me you ride a crotch rocket!?!"

I don't know what this thing is. It's not a Ninja, which as a cruiser person, Ninja means crotch rocket like kleexex means tissue or xerox means photocopy.

I found the FZ-09 when I went to the Triumph dealer to see about getting a Bonneville SE.

Anyway, I told the kid, "I ride a Yamaha FZ-09."

So, what is this thing? It has small tires and one of those thin seats. It isn't covered in plastic body work or with chrome. Is it a crotch rocket??

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You hate the word small or phrase crotch rocket?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Crotch rocket is an idiotic word IMO...I like the term 'sport bike' better....and yes, the FZ is a sport bike....a naked sport bike. The only difference between the FZ and a typical, fully faired supersport is lack of fairing and higher handle bars....and the fact that the FZ is a lot quicker. :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ummm.... it's more of a gut rocket, with bacon... just a bit above the crotch! Though if you look, there are mounting holes for a fairing stay curiously designed into the exsiting frame. Consider it a performance bike, because it is... but a comfortable performance bike... not to be triffled with... especially in traffic. Just tell 'em it rocks and be done with it! ;)

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
It's a supermoto, Streetfighter Crotchroket hybrid. Really, it's a whole new kind of bike.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think the general categories usually go ...

1) Cruiser
2) Sport Bike aka Crotch Rocket
3) Naked Sport Bike
and why don't we throw in ...
4) Scooter chao!

I do think your best response would have been "Naked Triple" though :)

After typing this though I hit up wikipedia and still think they need to add a Neked category
1 Street
1.1 Standard
1.2 Cruiser
1.3 Sport bike
1.4 Touring
1.5 Sport touring
1.6 Dual-sport
1.7 Scooters, underbones, and mopeds
2 Off-road

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Bah! I stick with my final response.... when they ask you what kind of bike it is... just tell 'em it rocks! That't really the only category it fits into... until they make a new one. :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Leave the crotch out of it. It is just a Rocket or really confuse him and say it is an ICBM.

Reactions: YZ-Guy

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Well there are subclasses of sport bikes as well. Supersports are the ones they race R6, GSXR 600, CBR600RR, ZX6R. Standard sport bikes are like fz6r, katana, etc. Touring sport bikes would be an fz1, z1000, sv1000s, etc. The list goes on. Bottom line is if someone uses the term crotch rocket, then they have no clue about sport bikes to begin with. The fz-09 is a naked sport bike. It doesn't really fit into any of the sub categories though.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Well there are subclasses of sport bikes as well. Supersports are the ones they race R6, GSXR 600, CBR600RR, ZX6R. Standard sport bikes are like fz6r, katana, etc. Touring sport bikes would be an fz1, z1000, sv1000s, etc. The list goes on. Bottom line is if someone uses the term crotch rocket, then they have no clue about sport bikes to begin with. The fz-09 is a naked sport bike. It doesn't really fit into any of the sub categories though.
It's a sports bike because performance is the main concern, comfort is second.

IMO since it's naked it's a lot more hardcore than any bike type out there. It's got no protection, no creature comforts, and it goes at a very brisk pace anytime you want.

Reactions: Jen

·
Registered
192 Posts
I never answer those sort of comments with anything other than telling them "I just ride". Plus, in this situation, the jokes on him...He's the one door greeting, not you.

No answer you offer is going to lead to anything good.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Definitely NOT a crotch rocket. Standard and Naked are the same thing. An FZ-09 is a Standard UJM. UJM means Universal Japanese Motorcycle. It wouldn't qualify as a "Sport Bike" because it doesn't possess any sporting equipment like huge brake rotors....radial master cylinder...4 pot calipers....remote reservoir rear shock....or real sticky tires.

You can certainly ride an FZ-09 sporty....and it certainly has sportbike type power.........but the fact that it doesn't work at racetrack speeds and has ZERO bodywork......makes it a STANDARD UJM.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts