Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a few people post that the dealer does more than change the oil during the first tune up at around 500 miles.

Is it worth it to take it in or do you guys just change the oil, oil filter and ride on?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
Since I worked part time at a little Mom & Pop type bike shop for over a dozen years, I do my own 1st services.
That includes oil & filter changes, checking all fasteners, the chain tension, fluid levels, tire pressures, etc...
While at the shop, customers very often would bring a new bike by for the 1st service.
If it didn't require a valve inspection, we'd go over all that stuff while the oil drained. The shop merely charged labor for the oil change + parts $. If the coolant or shaft drive oil just needed topping off, it was noted on the work order and the customer not charged. They got a ton of repeat customers from being nice like that.
It used to really bug me how a local multi-brand dealership would let folks ride off with a new bike that had stuff set up wrong (forks diff. heights in the clamps), low/no coolant in the reserve bottle, low on oil, etc... {You won't believe how many new shaft driven Hondas have low final drive oil right out of the crate! My own GL1800 had zero coolant in the overflow bottle, too.}
Word got around and the small independent shops like the one I was at reaped the benefits.
If you don't feel like doing your own 1st service, ask around. Maybe there's a small shop that will treat you fairly.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Do it yourself and keep your receipts. All very easy stuff, I was unsure myself for first service but im glad I did it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I took mine back to the dealership after originally planning on taking care of it myself. After speaking with a friend that has been a mc mechanic at several dealerships recommendation. According to him having at least the first service done at the dealership helps your case if you end up needing warranty coverage down the road. That and of course keeping records of the maintenance done on your own. Worked out pretty well, they did everything noted in the owners manual. Most importantly the oil change and throttle body sync. Cost was $250 but I had a $50 gift card for doing the yamaha purchase survey that I applied to the first service. Then after having the work done at the dealer yamaha sent another survey for the service department that netted me a $25 gift card that I bought 2 oil filters with making my next two oil changes that much easier to do myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts