Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read quite a few posts with folks asking if they are big enough to handle the fz09 but not one going the other way. I've been riding for over 25 years started with dirtbikes and moved to the street from there. I've owned a quite a few bikes mostly cruisers with my current bike being an 08 Goldwing. The wife and I like to travel when we can. I'd like a second bike for when I'm mainly by myself and feel like riding a little harder as well commuting. My question is at a little under 6ft 4" and weighing 240lbs with a 34" inseam will this thing break in half? I can't find any specs about its gvwr anywhere. I'm hoping there might be a few normal sized fellows out there like myself who can answer my questions. I really like the upright position it reminds me of my old V65 Sabre.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've read quite a few posts with folks asking if they are big enough to handle the fz09 but not one going the other way. I've been riding for over 25 years started with dirtbikes and moved to the street from there. I've owned a quite a few bikes mostly cruisers with my current bike being an 08 Goldwing. The wife and I like to travel when we can. I'd like a second bike for when I'm mainly by myself and feel like riding a little harder as well commuting. My question is at a little under 6ft 4" and weighing 240lbs with a 34" inseam will this thing break in half? I can't find any specs about its gvwr anywhere. I'm hoping there might be a few normal sized fellows out there like myself who can answer my questions. I really like the upright position it reminds me of my old V65 Sabre.
You and I are built the same. The FZ-09 is supposed to have more room than the FZ8 did. Go to cycle-ergo.com. Its not going to be dead nuts accurate but it will be close. I use it all the time to get an idea of how Im going to fit on a bike. I do find myself finding tiny bikes on there to put myself on just to get a laugh. :D

·
Registered
841 Posts
You may want to check one out first. Coming off a wing this thing will feel tiny to you. I am 6' and 215lns. and honestly it felt a bit cramped for me......BUT....you may get used to it. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
At 6' 5" I'm also concerned about the size of the FZ-09. Coming off my BMW GS I'm sure that this will feel quite small. I'm looking for something agile that I don't have to scream the engine to get out of a corner. It should have a high giggle factor while I romp through the twisties.

W

·
0 Posts
FZ8 is for sure a compact sporty position. Not much legroom but then it's not really a touring bike per se, as the FZ1. Would not recommend the Eight for ya, wait till the Nine is in showrooms and let us know what ya think.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Im 5'10" and 260lbs. I think I will fit just fine on this bike. I went to cycle-ergo.com and messed with it a bit to make the guy look as tho the bike had clip on bars. forward lean was 32 degrees. not bad. def something Im considering.

·
Registered
188 Posts
View attachment 272

I have been wondering the same thing will this bike fit . Here is a picture the man sitting on it is 5' 9"
Cool... I'm only 2" taller and roughly the same shape as that bloke!! :D:rolleyes: ... Should fit fine!!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
6'2" and 190-195 depending how many Oreos and BeltBusters I have been gorging on lately. I hope it's not to cramped but I think the 115 bhp 850cc triple should be enough. I'm not wanting Hayabusa power, I'm wanting fun factor.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can't imagine the gvwr for the fz-09 being less than my cbr250, which iirc is about 385 lbs. I've had my wife on the back of it plenty of times and it never felt life it was going to break, and together we both probably weighed close to 350 geared up. I'm 6'1" at about 205 lbs plus gear on a 250 with smaller dimensions, I think the fz can handle your size.

·
Registered
188 Posts
6'2" and 190-195 depending how many Oreos and BeltBusters I have been gorging on lately. I hope it's not to cramped but I think the 115 bhp 850cc triple should be enough. I'm not wanting Hayabusa power, I'm wanting fun factor.
I reckon the 115hp is going to be much fun!.... If it seems lacking then its off to the performance shop man for possibly a small Garrett! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts