Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015-03-28 18.04.28.jpg

I found this on my fork twice already. My bike is still under warranty, but I'm not sure if I want to have those clowns do this or not.

I have new springs on order, and am doing a oil/spring swap DIY, and I have some questions.

C. Does it look like a leak?
1. Since I am already taking this apart, How much harder is it to do the seals as well?
1a. Do I need special tools for it? Could I take the springs and oil with me and have them do it under warranty? (yeah, right)
2. When removing the forks do they slide down or up out of the triple clamp?
3a. Would you trust the dealership to do new fork seals?
4. Is there any chance it will go away, maybe some dirt that will dislodge itself or a way I can try to clean it?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Forks slide down out of triples , need a fork seal driver, it is possible to do it without the driver , any shop should be able to do it as its very easy .

·
Registered
857 Posts
Those wheelies don't seem so cool now do they? Yes that is oil, Yes it is leaking. I agree with the others, you fork seal/seals are toast. Your questions lead me to believe that more than one clown is involved in this operation.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those wheelies don't seem so cool now do they? Yes that is oil, Yes it is leaking. I agree with the others, you fork seal/seals are toast. Your questions lead me to believe that more than one clown is involved in this operation.

Ride Safe.
Jump to conclusions much? Jeez man.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I did fall into a pot hole in the city that felt like I fell off a cliff. That is the only truly memorable bump in my life while riding. There is a giant hole right at the start of a tunnel so your eyes aren't even adjusted to the dark. Hurt like a bitch, anyway doesn't really matter why it happened but if it makes you feel better I'm no stunt rider.

·
Registered
857 Posts
No matter, it is leaking you need to have it repaired, or repair it yourself, good luck.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well I did fall into a pot hole in the city that felt like I fell off a cliff. That is the only truly memorable bump in my life while riding. There is a giant hole right at the start of a tunnel so your eyes aren't even adjusted to the dark. Hurt like a bitch, anyway doesn't really matter why it happened but if it makes you feel better I'm no stunt rider.
I'm not really much of one either but I am totally guilty of it. Who isn't haha

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've seen fork seals blown by being strapped down too hard while being transported more than anything else - especially on unsuspended trailers.

The pothole could be the culprit - but I'd also suggest checking for debris and pitting. Clean it out with a feeler gauge, then get it off the front wheel and check for pitting or other manufacturing defect in the surface of the tube. Determine the source before you change the seals or even the springs.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I cleaned up the fork really well, inspected for and pitting or sign of any other snags and found nothing. I pulled down the dust boot, cleaned up the mess and put it back together.

So far about 3 days of sitting and 1+ hour of riding, trying to find decent bumps and the like and not a single drop so far. Working the fork up and down while sitting and a little spirited riding so far hasn't caused it to leak.

For those of you that have had leaks, did it seem to appear during riding or was it seeping out while sitting? Something I read said that the pressure of weight on the bike actually forces the seal tighter against the stanchion, which made me wonder if it leaks with less weight on it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts