Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one,

I bought my bike about 1 week ago used, with 2500 miles on it. For performance it has an m4 exhaust and I'm not sure if it has been flashed for it. Now i ride with 2012 r6 that has yoshi slip on and pc5, and when riding them back to back the r6 seems to run about 8-10°f cooler. Now my question is, does my bike have to be flashed, or is it just a nature of three cylinder beast that makes it run hotter over 4 cylinder?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Im runs around 185-190°f while riding and can hot 210-212°f when stopped at a light. I'm running Engine Ice coolant.

·
Registered
558 Posts
More than likely it feels hotter to you because there's no body work funneling hot air away from your private parts. But if you're still concerned:

1) are your fans coming on?
2) are your fans STAYING on?
3) what's your temp gauge say?

At highway speeds at 80 degrees (F) my bike stays at 160-180 consistently. Fans kick on at 215-220 whilest sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
On a hot day my bike could hit 220 before the fan coming on. With the flash now it doesn't go above 210 but on a hot day in traffic it'll hit that no problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so from what you guys are saying it's normal for it to hit those temps in hotter weather, and that i need a flash or some sort of fi tuner, and who or what would you recommend? Sorry if i sound like a broken record, but when it comes to electronics im an absolute retard:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok, so from what you guys are saying it's normal for it to hit those temps in hotter weather, and that i need a flash or some sort of fi tuner, and who or what would you recommend? Sorry if i sound like a broken record, but when it comes to electronics im an absolute retard:)
Ditto to what everyone else says on the temps. There are tons of options for a ecu flash. Just search "ECU Flash" and you will find many threads and reviews. Looks like it's time to update your signature as well :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
673 Posts
You didn't specify what temps you're seeing. Freeway cruising nets me between 150F and 165F. Around town is 175F - 195F

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You didn't specify what temps you're seeing. Freeway cruising nets me between 150F and 165F. Around town is 175F - 195F
highway in 80°f my bike is 175, and my friends r6 is 165 at 65mph. As soon as we get in city slow moving traffic in same 80°f weather mine will go up to 220 at a traffic light and the fan would go on, r6 would be at around 210.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you get to 235 plus, then start worrying because something is wrong. Modern oils and coolants can handle surprisingly high temps.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
If it isn't spewing coolant everywhere, then it isn't running too hot. It's just hot.
It has a fan that is there to do a cool the bike down when there isn't enough airflow, as long as the fan isn't always on, you're fine.
A flash may make it run cooler, but only if the bike is a bit lean, lean means a hotter burn. It MAY be a bit lean from having the M4.
And a bit lean is very differnt to "oh my god it's so lean it's gonna explode!!"
Like I said at the start, if it isn't spewing coolant everywhere, then the bike is doing what it's meant to, and is within its limits.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The fan cools the coolant and the coolant cools the motor by transfering heat; just saying ;)

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
The fan switches on when the coolant cooling the motor gets to a certain (higher) temp.
It usually gets to that temp when there isn't enough airflow to create the transfer of heat, so the fan comes on to make artificial air flow.
to, you know, help cool the coolant that's cooling the motor.
just saying.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You also have to remember when you are comparing an R6 to an 09, you are also comparing a 599cc to a 847cc engine. It's not a surprise that they larger cc's is going to produce a little more heat. I am actually surprised there isn't a larger difference between the two bikes. I have seen 1 Litre V-Twins that feel like you are frying bacon in a Speedo, not a pretty sight I know, lol.

I will say my DR650SE feels hotter than my 09 does, but that is partially do to the exhaust header route on the right side of the engine. It brings a whole new meaning to the term "Planters Dry Roasted Peanuts".

·
Registered
987 Posts
The fan switches on when the coolant cooling the motor gets to a certain (higher) temp.
It usually gets to that temp when there isn't enough airflow to create the transfer of heat, so the fan comes on to make artificial air flow.
to, you know, help cool the coolant that's cooling the motor.
just saying.
You went more dept than I did. I was pointing out the fan doesn't directly cool the motor.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I thought the same thing about my FZ-09 that I bought a few weeks back. Until I rode with my buddy that also has an FZ-09. At every stop-light on the way out of town I looked over at his dash and his temps were exactly the same as mine. To the degree! Absolutely no variation between our bikes.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My bike runs between about 160 and 180 high way speeds depending on air temp. In the city/town at the red light in 75 to 85 degree weather, it hits 223 and the fan comes on. Within a few minutes of back to highway speeds back down below 180. Its normal. Unless as others stated you flash the ECU to turn the fan on sooner. Nice option, but not necessary.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No doubt these bikes get warm in heavy traffic but most modern bikes do.

I would be looking to richen the fuelling anyway with the exhaust and possibly a flash to take advantage of the better airflow of the pipe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts