Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all, my bike has a little more than 700 miles on it and have not done a throttle body sync, is it completely necessary and or mandatory? Being I've never owned a new bike before I've never had to do all the initial maintance requirements lol

·
Registered
619 Posts
I did mine. Might have smoothed it out a bit, or it might just be in my head. I had the tool, so figured why not.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Should be done at a later service at some point they usually don't get to far out of sync that early. As said above it will smooth things out if their out of sync.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I did mine. Might have smoothed it out a bit, or it might just be in my head. I had the tool, so figured why not.
How was it to do? And was tool ya got? I've used the Motion Pro tool on my old SV and GSXF. Both were pretty easy but had even number of cylinders.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had them sync at the 600 mile service. They said they didn't even need adjustment. Since I will be doing all the maintenance myself going forward, I may rig up one of those throttle sync boards to do it in the future. Check out THIS thread here on the boards for more info.

Reactions: mxrider9239

·
Registered
852 Posts
I trust my peers, you guys, more than the manual or the dealer. Like others have stated I will wait for the idle to get rough and then have it done. Almost at 4,000 miles and still smooth.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Getting close to 15K miles here... Might have a look at it next time I tune her up. Nothing feel out of whack so far...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
What's the main cause for the need to sync? Is it mainly valve wear or just the whole engine in general?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Had my dealer do the first service at the 600 mile mark, throttle sync was good. I personally checked at 4000 miles and they did need adjustment. Slightly out of spec. I was not feeling any adverse behavior with the bike though. It's an easy procedure though and the manometer to do the job will pay for itself on the first use.

If you follow the maintenance schedule, it needs to be checked every 4k miles and my local dealer charges almost 200 bucks for a sync. So depending on how much you ride, it could get expensive to have someone else do it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
619 Posts
How was it to do? And was tool ya got? I've used the Motion Pro tool on my old SV and GSXF. Both were pretty easy but had even number of cylinders.
Wasn't hard to do at all. I took the tank off, and put it on a black and decker workmate by the side of the bike. (need to run the bike while you're doing it) and i have a morgan carbtune II from my old ZRX days.

SSL11411SC.jpg

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Wasn't hard to do at all. I took the tank off, and put it on a black and decker workmate by the side of the bike. (need to run the bike while you're doing it) and i have a morgan carbtune II from my old ZRX days.

View attachment 15395
how much? I am at 7600 miles and ride it very hard and don't notice any issues with the idle. What am I looking for with the "rough idle"?

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
My bike cut out a couple of times as I was approaching stop lights (while downshifting through the gears). My mechanic suggested a throttle body sync, and I haven't had the same problem since (that was about 20,000km ago).

Can't say if that's what solved the problem, but I did the synch and the problem went away.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Sync only comes into play when the throttle plates are on the idle stop, so if there are no idle issues hot or cold and it's smooth, probably no need to sync. If for some reason you sit at idle for extended time periods, it may be helpful to keep the plugs clean in case it's off quote a bit and you're thinking it's fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts