1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or is it due to ignorance?
lack of money ?
or just some one who doesn't care?

Has anyone actually talked to a squid on the street? asked him why he doesnt wear any protection?
I dont understand why any sane person, knowing the consequences, choose not to wear full protection...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Meh, I don't mind that much... They chose to do it, they chose to accept the consequences. I get more irritated with the people I see with these stupid things on. #fail

Low and behold, he's riding a gixxer...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Simple answer: NO!

And we will leave it at that.
Frickin indestructible kids hrumph grumble grumble grumble......

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Some people choose to wear gear and some people dont...Its a personal choice and one that they themselves make ....since they are willing to accept the risk, and they are the only ones at risk,I really dont care what they do...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Some people choose to wear gear and some people dont...Its a personal choice and one that they themselves make ....since they are willing to accept the risk, and they are the only ones at risk,I really dont care what they do...
Same here. Scolding someone or telling them the consequences of what could happen isn't going to change their minds.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I don't think that squids realize the risks or the possible loss of life as part of riding...so all I can do is advise them ONCE and walk away. I did my thing and that's all you can do. Don't be too hard on them because in the beginning...we ALL we squids.

Reactions: chefedij

·
Registered
418 Posts
It's not cool to be a squid from a true rider standpoint. But from the squids standpoint they are cool in a tank top flip flops and shorts with a mowhawk on their helmet. I VERY rarely see these people in the mountains. Riding in the twisties is out of their element.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Around here we always look at young kids on sport bikes, acting like idiots as squids, whether they were wearing proper protection or not. I see way more people riding big cruisers without safety in mind than I do sport bikes, and most are way past being young.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I think the real squids on sportbikes:
A. Think it looks more badass
B. Dont know what it feels like to wreck..or just dont care
C. Dont really give a damn about what people think of them

These guys are people too, Ive had converstaions with a few of them in traffic...they seem nice enough...usually they are newer to riding, and aren't all that terribly skilled

We all learn about serious riding on our own terms...and evolve at different paces

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think it's a combination of all three items. Youth and ignorance can go hand in hand simply because they lack experience and life lessons, and then couple that with the fact they feel invincible and you have a squid on your hands. It's getting harder and harder to give someone a pass on ignorance these days because of the internet. A simple google search of "motorcycle gear and accidents" will pull up pages of information. When I was a kid it was all just learning by word of mouth or books. What gets me is the fully mature adults on $30,000 cruisers riding two up with very little to no protection......those people I don't feel sorry for in the least. They have made a choice and when they are rolling around out on the hot asphalt with no skin screaming at the top of their lungs in pain I can only shake my head.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I was the first responder (just happened to ride by) to a kid who had had someone pull out in front of him. He was wearing pants, a tshirt, and tennis shoes. NOTHING else. I pulled up in my boots, over pants, jacket, gloves, and helmet and asked him if he was alright. I helped his buddy get the bike out of the road (2005 CBR 600RR) which was totalled. He was probably a high school kid. I explained that he was lucky...but I let the fact that he was missing some teeth and was pretty badly rashed up and limping (I'm sure he was sore for two weeks) do most of the talking. I also mentioned that I had been in a wreck at the same stoplight just about a week ago...and rode home...

I gave him an MSF card and left once the cops took control of the scene.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think you need to have some common sense. I have gone riding in a t shirt, jeans, sneakers and full face helmet. I know if I crash only thing with a chance sliding on black top is head because of helmet.
I don't do it often and when I do, I definitely ride slower and take less chances. I am not condoning it, just sayin, use some common sense
No, I don't think it cool to be squid

·
Registered
314 Posts
I was 18 when I first started riding. I usually only wore shorts and a short sleeves. For some reason, at that age, I didn't think about the consequences. No, I wasn't an ignorant punk who thought he was invincible, just never thought about it. After I flipped over a car and got a cut on my pinkie toe, I chose to ALWAYS wear (at minimum) a good riding jacket, jeans, and gloves. Didn't mention a helmet because I never went without one.

I almost cringe when I see people on shorts and short sleeves.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Most of the time, but not all of the time, the people who don't wear gear on the street are the ones who have not yet been injured by the asphalt grading their skin. Same goes for most of the people I know who don't believe in concealed carry of firearms. Those people have not yet been violently attacked. Safety, much like control, is an illusion and is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Most of the time, but not all of the time, the people who don't wear gear on the street are the ones who have not yet been injured by the asphalt grading their skin. Same goes for most of the people I know who don't believe in concealed carry of firearms. Those people have not yet been violently attacked. Safety, much like control, is an illusion and is in the eye of the beholder.
I am still trying to work out how to carry on my bike. Lumpy metal doesnt seem like a good idea to have on my pelvis if i go down.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In my younger days I was a Giant Squid. I mostly rode to work/wrestling practice/scoring chicks (not riding for fun). I didn't even wear a helmet unless I was getting on the highway or riding at night. In Indiana, it's pretty much flat, straight, and boring to ride, so I mostly just wanted to be seen by chicks ;-) . I did my hard riding fully geared up on MX tracks. Weird-ignorant-naive?...YES-YES-YES

Oh, to answer the OP's question, Yes, I thought I was cool as hell, and so did a lot of chicks!

Young and dumb, no more no less. Nagging from the safety police makes no difference except to make Mr Squid feel like Mr Superior is preaching from his high horse. The first time I had a friend go down, I began to reflect and change my ways.....

Reactions: Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
How is it possible, in The Land of a The Free, that The Law states we MUST wear a Seat Belt in a cage, but NOT a helmet, jacket, and gloves while on TWO Wheels???

·
Registered
342 Posts
honestly if I am riding to just be riding(trip to mothers/store) I usually just wear a long sleeve jersey, helmet, pants,gloves and boots.....is that squid???? If I have on my jacket you can bet theres some serious riding involved.....

1 - 20 of 106 Posts