1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EXPERIENCE: 52 y.o.

- 5 years trail rider - low intermediate
- 6 months at mx track weekly - total noob working on dirt skills
- Day slab on WR250R 1/mo. last 5 yrs. Mostly sight seeing rides on rural county roads.
- Rented Harley 2X for weeklong trips.

STYLE: I'm not a hooligan rider. I don't lean into turns much. Not interested in doing so. Mostly sight seeing with the occasional 0-80 rip as fast as the bike will go (usually after a couple of beers at lunch):D

PLAN: Replace trusty but underpowered WR250R with real street bike.

Wide open at the moment. Looking for a day tripper - likely once a week - with enough juice to turn me on but not get me killed due lack of experience. Sport bikes and cruisers don't stir my soul.

CURRENTLY ON TABLE: Triumph 800, FZ-09, V-Strom 650, Kawi Versys. Leaning in that order.

THOUGHTS: Gut right now tells me the V-Strom and Versys, while perfect for my needs, are just too practical. Yami maybe too much power for my level. That puts Triumph in the lead.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Especially Triumph vs. Yami powerbands for my experience level. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
V-strom is a great bike but very tall seat height - not sure how tall you are but 6"+ or maybe slightly shorter and you'd likely be ok. It sure if you're looking for more of a touring bike? Look into an SV650n (all s have clip ons and likely not as comfortable for whst you want) or ninja 650 or fz6. All have upright riding positions.

You'll see the sv650 recommended a lot. It's a great first "real" bike. A fun step up from a 250 without scaring the shit out of yourself.

The fz is another step up from SV IMO.

Whether you want to skip that step is your own personal choice. No one here can make that decision for you.

Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beck, thanks for the advice on the SV650.

On first glance it may be just what I'm looking for. Evidently I've got more homework to do.

Do you know if it's the same engine they use in the V-Strom 650 as I understand the V-Strom has a reputation for a bulletproof engine?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I don't know for sure but I believe they are both v-twins. Suzuki motors are bomb proof. My SV had 29k me and felt brand new.

My cousin has a Strom 1000 and it's blast to ride but a bit too high for my liking/style.

Check out the SV forum (Svrider.com)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
FZ09 is terrifyingly powerful compared to a 250. I don't know a lot about the SV-650, but it would be the better step up from the 250. The thing is with the 09 is the immediacy of the power and torque. From what you said I would recommend a good sport tourer, or maybe an adventure bike. Decent sport, not a harley, very good for distance.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yeah, been reading my eyeballs off and slowly coming to that conclusion. Thanks for putting it so bluntly. Think I needed that. Don't want to give up my couple beers at lunch.:cool:
I came from a FZ6R which is a low power easy to ride/learn on 600cc. But it's also tuned for torque and not top end power like the 09. I used full throttle on that bike all the time when getting up to speed, like I do in my car. I Have used full acceleration to redline three times on the 09 each time terrifying and with a wheelie :). It's an amazing feeling, and if I wasn't terrified I would probably sell the bike immediately because it deserves a lot of respect. I think you get the idea....great bike but I don't think its really what you are looking for. Check out the honda NC700X, amazing gas mileage, good power, very comfortable, and impressively practical.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I just went from a CRF450R race dirt bike to the FZ-09. Have only tested it for 30 miles but yeah, it is is quite an upgrade in power. My 450 was fast as hell for a dirt bike, but the FZ will leave it in the dust.

BUT...

We dirtbikers have a very very good handle on throttle control. If you can ride single track, over rocks and ruts on the trail and up and down steep loose gravel, than you have throttle control beyond what alot of street only riders have. You also have balance, and know body position really well. Don't be THAT afraid of this bike. What I learned in 30 miles is that yes, it is easy to wheelie if ya go full throttle but it is also easy to ride and not go that fast, especially in B mode.

I'm 48 and havent had a street bike in years. I felt fine on the FZ-09 and am thrilled to own one. I will ease into the power on it but it is also very easy to just cruise on, knowing that there is plenty of passing power when needed. Just don't go full throttle.

Go test ride one before deciding either way. Only way to find out if it is the bike for you. Don't listen to us, we don't know you. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We dirtbikers have a very very good handle on throttle control. If you can ride single track, over rocks and ruts on the trail and up and down steep loose gravel, than you have throttle control beyond what alot of street only riders have. You also have balance, and know body position really well. Don't be THAT afraid of this bike.
Excellent point. You made me realize something. I street ride to take a break from the bug eyed focus an mx track or tree lined trail demands. Even though I'm no dirt racer, I push hard to improve my skills. I'm not looking to get on a street bike with the same mentality. I suspect the 09 would require that to some extent.

Great help guys. Really got me thinking. Am leaning against at present .... "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast .... ya da ya da ..

I have great respect for good street riders.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I street ride to take a break from the bug eyed focus an mx track or tree lined trail demands. Even though I'm no dirt racer, I push hard to improve my skills. I'm not looking to get on a street bike with the same mentality. I suspect the 09 would require that to some extent.
Any thought of keeping your 250 along with an FZ-09? Not sure if your situation or interest allows for two street motorcycles and the plan in your OP indicates no, but looking back with 20/20 hindsight I am pleased with my decision not to sell the 250s still in the garage.

To be fair, my daughter regularly rides one of them so selling the Suzuki TU250X wasn't truly an option, but I own another 250 as well and decided it should stay. I am thrilled with my FZ-09 and I respect your "bug eyed focus" mentality observation as it is far more (hmmm... how shall I say this...) sensory intensive riding experience than my 250.

Not to suggest riding a 250 on a public road permits substandard skills, but as you correctly observed, the FZ-09 takes the experience to another level. Once in a while, I enjoy the option of leaving that higher level in the garage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any thought of keeping your 250 along with an FZ-09?
No. If I end up with 3 bikes it will be an MXer, Trail Bike, and street bike. Dirt is my passion. I usually ride slab when the dirt machine is undergoing "maintenance". Meaning I took it apart and it's not going back together so quickly.:evil6:

Sat on a Suzuki SFV650 today. Didn't grab me. It's listed as a "standard" bike on Suzuki's web site but ergos are closer to sport. Was disappointed. After lots of reading about the bike it seems like a great transition bike with a bomb proof engine.

Can anyone comment on the FZ power band vs the Triumph Tiger 800 power band?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Mostly sight seeing with the occasional 0-80 rip as fast as the bike will go (usually after a couple of beers at lunch):
I hope you're joking. I really try not to flame on this forum...but I have to make an exception here. That is one of the stupidest things I have read in a while. I love both motorcycles and alcohol...but never together. No one should be operating a bike with beers in them, not my opinion...fact. It's enough of a challenge staying upright even when you are completely focused. Even if you don't like to lean in turns, you need to be more responsible. End rant

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
No. If I end up with 3 bikes it will be an MXer, Trail Bike, and street bike. Dirt is my passion. I usually ride slab when the dirt machine is undergoing "maintenance". Meaning I took it apart and it's not going back together so quickly.:evil6:

Sat on a Suzuki SFV650 today. Didn't grab me. It's listed as a "standard" bike on Suzuki's web site but ergos are closer to sport. Was disappointed. After lots of reading about the bike it seems like a great transition bike with a bomb proof engine.

Can anyone comment on the FZ power band vs the Triumph Tiger 800 power band?
Don't look at the svf650. Look for an 03 to 08 sv650n. Much better bike at much better price IMO.

Second Lehigh on the drinking and riding - not sure if this was a joke? This is really stupid putting it bluntly. I don't care if you think you're "fine" after downing a bottle of Jack.

When you ride you rep not only yourself but the whole bike community.

You owe it to all your fellow riders to ride responsibly.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Try a test ride on a Versys, I ran a 12.83 on mine at the drags. It will wheelie in 1st and second, and handles very good.
It has a 5 gallon tank for those sight seeing trips, and feels much more sporty than the V-Strom, due to the shorter wheelbase, and 17" front wheel.

I traded in my Yamaha WR250X in on the FZ 09, my ZRX 1200, is being sold, the Versys will be the stablemate to the FZ.

There are many great bikes out there to choose from, enjoy the search.
* A used Versys can be purchased for $4,500-$5k, maybe less depending on year and mileage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nobody lets you test ride down here. Nobody.

Bike would be in garage already if they did.

I've read the Versys is buzzy at higher speeds????

1 - 20 of 28 Posts