Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a bit tumultuous of a subject. I've had the FZ for nearly 10 months, and am nearing the 6000km service. I'm a good rider and take it extremely seriously, not a squid or a maniac. I do ride the shit out of this bike though.

I had a 2000 R6 before this which became a maintenance nightmare. Despite that, I absolutely loved it. If I am honest about it, I can't say the same about this bike, and I have been trying to convince myself otherwise for a while.

I took a friend's Daytona 675 out this weekend, and oh-my-god does it feel like a rocket ship. We then went to my dealer and I took out a 2013 R6 for giggles. Same feeling, intense performance. It made my ride home on the FZ feel tame, lame.

I suppose that's what I'm missing, compounded by the relaxed ergo seating of the FZ. You twist the throttle on a super-sport and there is this really intense feeling of power, which isn't really there with this bike.

Don't get me wrong, I do really enjoy the bike, great for commuting and super comfy, etc.

I am dawning my flame suit now.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The FZ09 is a great bike, but it isn't a supersport. Bikes are in different classes because well....they are different. If you are expecting the FZ09 to ride like a supersport, you are going to be disappointed.

Maybe this isnt the bike for you. Or maybe you just need a second bike in the stable. Nothing wrong with either of those things.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
This might be a bit tumultuous of a subject. I've had the FZ for nearly 10 months, and am nearing the 6000km service. I'm a good rider and take it extremely seriously, not a squid or a maniac. I do ride the shit out of this bike though.

I had a 2000 R6 before this which became a maintenance nightmare. Despite that, I absolutely loved it. If I am honest about it, I can't say the same about this bike, and I have been trying to convince myself otherwise for a while.

I took a friend's Daytona 675 out this weekend, and oh-my-god does it feel like a rocket ship. We then went to my dealer and I took out a 2013 R6 for giggles. Same feeling, intense performance. It made my ride home on the FZ feel tame, lame.

I suppose that's what I'm missing, compounded by the relaxed ergo seating of the FZ. You twist the throttle on a super-sport and there is this really intense feeling of power, which isn't really there with this bike.

Don't get me wrong, I do really enjoy the bike, great for commuting and super comfy, etc.

I am dawning my flame suit now.
First question I've gotta ask, are you in "A" mode when riding? If not, switch it to "A" mode and ride it like that and let us know what you think. Second question......any suspension mods to the bike....shock and front forks? If not, I wouldn't blame you for not liking it over the Daytona or the R6. I've owned 4 different liter bikes....a CBR1100XX Blackbird, a 1988 CBR1000 Hurricane, and an '04 and '05 CBR1000RR, as well as several 600RRs. The FZ09 with suspension mods and the ECU reflash is the most fun bike I've ever owned.

Reactions: phasterthanyou

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First question I've gotta ask, are you in "A" mode when riding? If not, switch it to "A" mode and ride it like that and let us know what you think. Second question......any suspension mods to the bike....shock and front forks? If not, I wouldn't blame you for not liking it over the Daytona or the R6. I've owned 4 different liter bikes....a CBR1100XX Blackbird, a 1988 CBR1000 Hurricane, and an '04 and '05 CBR1000RR, as well as several 600RRs. The FZ09 with suspension mods and the ECU reflash is the most fun bike I've ever owned.
Yah, I've been A mode almost exclusively for the past few months outside of highway riding.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The FZ09 is a great bike, but it isn't a supersport. Bikes are in different classes because well....they are different. If you are expecting the FZ09 to ride like a supersport, you are going to be disappointed.

Maybe this isnt the bike for you. Or maybe you just need a second bike in the stable. Nothing wrong with either of those things.
2nd bike in the stable is what my dealer says, with a grin :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've owned a lot of 600s and in terms of twist and go the FZ beats the crap out of all of them until over 10k on the 600,and probably nearer 12k.
They are totally different bikes though. I never minded revving out my sixes, it is part of the joy of owning them.
Sent via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am keeping my R1 and my FZ-09 because they are both unique. The FZ is agile and nimble in tight areas, probably better in stop and go traffic (commuting) while the R1 is perfect for open road with sweeping turns and big space to tap the power. I think the FZ-09 is the perfect Urban Fighter and the R1 is the perfect canyon/highway/track machine. I think if you get rid of the FZ you'll miss it's agility, torquey power, and close quarter fun factor. Step away from the bike for a few days and then take it out again (you'll fall in love again). :D

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Isn't the 09 a bit lighter and have higher HP than a R6? Have you done anything to make your 09 "sportier"? Suspension, clubman bars, etc? That's what I'm doing, not that I'm trying to make it a Supersport.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Yah, I've been A mode almost exclusively for the past few months outside of highway riding.
OK..."A" mode, but you didn't answer my second question.......any suspension mods?

·
Registered
518 Posts
OK..."A" mode, but you didn't answer my second question.......any suspension mods?
Agreed. I came from a geared and tuned r1 (and while on it i tended to miss my r6). This bike was a bit squishy, but i tightened up the front (until i can install my new springs) and put in a penske rear. I am still working on getting the suspension tuned, but this thing would give my supersports a run for their money in the twisties.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, no, no suspension mods or anything major done to the bike

I did take one out that had the ECU flashed and a two brothers / power commander on it, and I felt like it killed the fun of the bike entirely - smoothed it out but total overkill

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Until you do the suspension and get it setup for you and whatever you weigh, you are going to think the bike sucks big time. You stated that you ride the S#*t out of it though; that's pretty much impossible with the stock suspension unless you weigh like 150 lbs or so. The bike, in it's stock form (suspension) will wallow in the corners if pushed, it will pogo stick you to death, no front end feedback on what the bike's doing in the corners, and it will generally just frustrate you to no end. With a properly setup suspension, you will not even recognize the bike as being the same one. My FZ09 will actually turn in quicker than my dedicated track bike ('07 600RR with Ohlins front and rear), and is more flickable too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sorry, no, no suspension mods or anything major done to the bike

I did take one out that had the ECU flashed and a two brothers / power commander on it, and I felt like it killed the fun of the bike entirely - smoothed it out but total overkill
Since you have your flame suit on....

I think you're out of your mind and completely out of touch with what you PERCEIVE as performance.

On the street an R6 and 675 can't come close to the performance of the FZ in terms of acceleration and power where you need it - low-midrange.

I'm thinking perhaps the trip to Starbucks is a little more satisfying on a race rep?

Be honest here as your claim of more performance from a 600 leaves a LOT of heads shaking.

Here's my FZ last week - more importantly though - the camera bike is my friend Cam who is a racer and on an '09 R1 with 160hp on tap and just look at how even we are everywhere in acceleration zones - he doesn't catch me anywhere until we hit the very top end. Of course it's a track day and we're both keeping a lot in reserve but still. Race prepped 600's were getting destroyed by the FZ that day, I passed them at will on the gas.

Forward to the 1:55 mark for what I'm referencing.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/8-fz-09-pictures-videos/2979-finally-got-play-track.html

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
If you can afford to get the new bike and keep the FZ.

I had a Ninja 1000 before the FZ. I do miss the arm stretching from 70 to 130 in top gear. But I am 61 years old and really don't need to be going that fast.

The FZ however is much more fun from 10 to 70. A better speed range for an old fart.

Did I mention the FZ is a much better wheelie machine.

Follow your heart and wallet.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Suspension and ergonomics... you can fix the suspension but if you don't like the ergonomics... sell it.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
R6 = $11,000 scalpel
FZ = $8000 6 pound hammer
take your pick but they are apples and oranges
They may be apples and oranges, but I can tell you that the FZ09, when the suspension is sorted out, will hang with an R6 in almost everyway, top speed excluded. Almost no one will be happy with an FZ09 if they are truly looking for a sportbike, but the FZ is lightning quick on turn in and flickability with the proper bouncy parts and will simply eat an R6 for lunch on drive out of the corners.

Reactions: bigweb2001
1 - 20 of 59 Posts