Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering in case I should even try if worst case scenario should ever strike. Lets say the starter doesn't work; would it be possible to push start?
I'm suspecting that if the battery can power the electronics and prime the fuel pump this should be possible.
If the battery is dead there's probably no chance right?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
If your battery is totally dead and with the electronics on the bike, I don't think a push start would work. Unless you have just enough battery juice left to power up the ECU and FI system, then maybe. Even then you might need a good long hill and use 3rd or 4th gear to get it going.

And if do jump start it from a car or truck, just use the battery power, DO NOT have the vehicle running. The extra amps from the alternator could roast a few things on your bike in short order.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I jump start bikes from low battery before. Sometime the battery is to low to have enough cranking power but enough to keep the electronic alive... then bump start will work. Like everyone says. 2nd or 3rd gear and push until you get enough speed, as you drop the clutch jump on the pegs to make the rear tire grip. Be ready to grab the clutch once the bike start...

·
Registered
290 Posts
My Ducati Multistrada was a battery hog and I had to push start it many times by myself. Always enough battery to run the bike, but never enough CCA to turn that engine over if it sat for a few days without a trickle charge. The reason I sold that bike to get my next lemon.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
My Ducati Multistrada was a battery hog and I had to push start it many times by myself. Always enough battery to run the bike, but never enough CCA to turn that engine over if it sat for a few days without a trickle charge. The reason I sold that bike to get my next lemon.
Obviously had something drawing on the battery when the key was off. If that was the only problem, why not fix the problem.

To the OP, I expect you can start the bike with a bump start with a completely dead battery. I haven't tried in on the FZ09 but I have tried it on my BMW R1100RT when I had a battery failure. The BMW is also fuel injected. Spinning the engine over as part of the bump start was apparently enough to get the fuel pump and ECU working.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I asked my dealer the same question not long ago. I'd seen a video where Nick Sanders got stranded a long way from nowhere aboard his round the world R1's battery failed to crank it after a photo stop. Nick made no mention of push starting the R1.
My friend said the voltage has to be above 11-something volts or no-go on a push start. I guess one of us will eventually find out on a 9 and report back.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It isn't possible to be totally "stranded" on the side of the road. Even if the battery is dead....there are plenty of people with cars {or other bikes} that would offer a jump start. And even if that didn't work you can always get a tow with a tow rope from another bike. Yes I know it's dangerous to do it...but when you are stuck somewhere, you do what you have to do. Dirt bike riders tow blown up dirt bikes out of the woods all the time.

Reactions: Pistnrods

·
Registered
290 Posts
Obviously had something drawing on the battery when the key was off. If that was the only problem, why not fix the problem.

The Multistrada was keyless ignition and the system was always draining the battery. Dealership ended up replacing two batteries before i ended going with a Shorai that never failed to start it. The design of the Duc engine makes them a starter pig and need a lot of juice to turn over. Didn't mind getting rid of it, but the BMW I end up with had a bigger factory issue that couldn't/wouldn't get resolved from the manufacturer. Glad I'm finally back to a Japanese bike.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It isn't possible to be totally "stranded" on the side of the road. Even if the battery is dead....there are plenty of people with cars {or other bikes} that would offer a jump start. And even if that didn't work you can always get a tow with a tow rope from another bike. Yes I know it's dangerous to do it...but when you are stuck somewhere, you do what you have to do. Dirt bike riders tow blown up dirt bikes out of the woods all the time.
Or have AAA or some derivation of them. For example I just bought a 2013 ninja 636 and for 20 bucks a year I can join kawasaki's rider club and they offer road side assistance. Many insurances have road side assistance available as well. Me personally, I have been a AAA plus member since 1996. Just used them the other day to un lock my truck when I locked the keys inside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having motomania's BMW experience is letting me believe that it could work. Since nobody has any first hand experience with this I'll take that as a sign that a situation where push starting is the only alternative to being stuck for a while is highly unlikely. Basic rules are to make sure the battery is ok, not to jump start from a running car/truck, look into AAA membership.
Thanks guys, I have a worry less.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you use a battery tender on your bike via an SAE connector you might want to pack a mini jumper cable with a SAE on one end and regular positive/negative clamps on the other. I carry one when I go offroading on my Husky, but it is mostly for other poor souls stuck out in the woods.

·
Registered
730 Posts
AMA includes roadside assistance with membership.....

Or have AAA or some derivation of them. For example I just bought a 2013 ninja 636 and for 20 bucks a year I can join kawasaki's rider club and they offer road side assistance. Many insurances have road side assistance available as well. Me personally, I have been a AAA plus member since 1996. Just used them the other day to un lock my truck when I locked the keys inside.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We tried to bump start my sons MV B300 the other day, I know it's not a MT09 / FZ09, but it's getting close.......... we failed, too much compression, it just locked and skid in second.

This is his second battery in 12 months, she likes the electricity, typical Italian.

·
Registered
583 Posts
And if do jump start it from a car or truck, just use the battery power, DO NOT have the vehicle running. The extra amps from the alternator could roast a few things on your bike in short order.
Maybe? The "vehicle" alternator probably has more amp capacity than the FZ alternator but no more voltage...

·
Registered
962 Posts
I bump started my FI V-Strom 1000 when the battery was totally dead. It took 4 or 5 runs before I got it going fast enough to get it to work (or maybe the first few runs spun the alternator enough to pressurize the FI system). It should be easier to bump the FZ-09 being a triple (and 100lbs lighter!).

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have actually tried to bumpstart this bike. I have never had a bike with the emergency light position on the lock and i left a blinker on one day. It does not work. I have bumpstarted all my other bikes with minor issues on the newer sport bikes, but something about this one said no. There was enough juice to prime the fuel pump, just not enough to get it to really turn over.

·
Banned
739 Posts
Broke the clutch cable on my old CBR900RR, only about a mile from home. Pulled off the side of the road and stalled. Bump started down a small hill, jammed it through the gears to get back. :cool:

Moral: Keep your cable lubed!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have actually tried to bumpstart this bike. I have never had a bike with the emergency light position on the lock and i left a blinker on one day. It does not work. I have bumpstarted all my other bikes with minor issues on the newer sport bikes, but something about this one said no. There was enough juice to prime the fuel pump, just not enough to get it to really turn over.
One day I too killed my battery by leaving the key on and using the kill switch. I have a slight down hill driveway so I tried to bump start 3 times up and down the hill. If you have a reallllllllly long hill and a battery that is just a little to dead to fire the electronics when you are rolling the stator will put just enough power to the battery to prime and start. Recommend third gear so there isn't as much transmission resistance. I don't recommend this procedure if you are able to jump from another vehicle. If you are stranded in the middle of nowhere without any cell reception and you have a hill you can try, at the very least you will be a little further down the road. :) lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts