Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Lot of opinions on iridium plugs. At 8,000 miles i installed iridium plugs with V-cycle flash, air box mode and kn filter.( original plugs looked new ) Three years later the FZ still runs like a scalded rabbit and starts every time on the first crank. At 18,000 miles I used iridium plugs again and I'll change again at 30,000 miles. You will pay more for iridium but in the four years I've used them I think they are worth the price. Auto Zone carries these.(CR9EIX 3521 NGK) You only have to buy three at a time. Text Electric blue Font Auto part Label

My brother compares iridium plugs to new over priced products put out by companies who have to advertise new, more horsepower, longer lasting blah, blah, blah !

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the term better, I mean what they advertise :Better stable idle,detailed crisp faster response at throttle openings,longevity,same or lower running temperatures.Is there any danger for poorer leaner mixture because of <<better>> combustion ?

·
Registered
561 Posts
iridium plugs will last longer the regular plugs.
did not notice anything else when i put in one on my dual sport
had it for about 6k miles of all weather riding alot of cold riding and starts.
never had an issue with the plug and is still going strong.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hey Bill, check out the thread " DIY Spark Plug Change". Complete instructions with pictures, directions and tools needed. The member who took the time to make this thread for us deserves more than a couple of cold ones. Also, why you're changing plugs mine as well remove the AIS and install block off plates.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I recently changed NGK iridium when i did my VC at 50k km. Well for me the starting have improved,acceleration is better,fuel consumption also improved. As for long lasting - i would believe so as my previous bikes iridium lasted almost 3 years before i replaced it.(70k km). the funny part is the oem NGK plus costs more then iridium over here . Infact iridium was cheaper by $10. So went with and happy with my choice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use Denso iridium plugs for my VW and XSR900.
I've been using those for years now.
Iridium plugs give you a big kick. My VW's 1.8L turbo feels like 2.4L .
The right part number is IU27D, but regular IU27 works just fine too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Bill, check out the thread " DIY Spark Plug Change". Complete instructions with pictures, directions and tools needed. The member who took the time to make this thread for us deserves more than a couple of cold ones. Also, why you're changing plugs mine as well remove the AIS and install block off plates.
Guys unbolt the radiator, drop it straight down, remove the AIS and you are right there at the plugs easy as can be!! 45 min job now no tank removal!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just bought CPR9EAIX-9 plugs from Japansparkplugs.com
They cost a bit more than standard plugs, but should remain consistent for much longer.
When I changed them I pulled off all the AIS plumbing and installed the plates. No need to mess with all that ever again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought CPR9EAIX-9 plugs from Japansparkplugs.com
They cost a bit more than standard plugs, but should remain consistent for much longer.
When I changed them I pulled off all the AIS plumbing and installed the plates. No need to mess with all that ever again.

Question. Aren't you only going to install block off plates if you have a full exhaust system? Or is that something to do while you are still running stock?

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
I like to see a dyno chart that shows more than 2 - 3 hp gain changing to iridiums from new conventional plugs.
Their main benefit is longer life.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Just got off the phone with NGK, they said the following will fit my (2017) bike:
Iridium: 6289 s/n (CR9EIA-9 p/n)

Reactions: MK3Brent
1 - 20 of 20 Posts