Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Ok mine is now installed ! If you are on the fence on this mod my suggestion is to just pass it up and do not give it a second thought!!! I now have a cloud type look "see the picture" around the center area of the cluster under garage lighting..out in the sun that does disappear ...and if you are head strong about doing this mod line up the film in your garage to the color you like it THEN get it out in the sun and check it out you WILL have different lighting effects and the color changes ! I finally got a light blue that looked good outside and inside by getting the film in place outside first then check it out inside !
Sorry for questioning your knowhow abe, but is there any chance that's an air bubble under the film? Did you just place the whole film on "flat" or did you roll it one with a credit card or some such to "squeegy" out the air as you worked it on from left to right/right to left? I definitely had some bubbles at first even with a credit card and had to work them pretty hard with my thumbs.

Reactions: PaulNYC

·
Vendor
772 Posts
For those of you who do not wish to risk messing up your cluster or screen. TripageLED.com "forum sponsor" offers this service to our customers. We also offer led change so we can make the color something other than white.

^^^Abe57 looks like you have liquid behind the glass and the back reflector.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
For those of you who do not wish to risk messing up your cluster or screen. TripageLED.com "forum sponsor" offers this service to our customers. We also offer led change so we can make the color something other than white.

^^^Abe57 looks like you have liquid behind the glass and the back reflector.
How do I remove the liquid ? And yes I went from one corner to the other side no air bubbles under the film ..its like installing decals and I am very good at that kinda thing !

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Ok mine is now installed ! If you are on the fence on this mod my suggestion is to just pass it up and do not give it a second thought!!! I now have a cloud type look "see the picture" around the center area of the cluster under garage lighting..out in the sun that does disappear ...and if you are head strong about doing this mod line up the film in your garage to the color you like it THEN get it out in the sun and check it out you WILL have different lighting effects and the color changes ! I finally got a light blue that looked good outside and inside by getting the film in place outside first then check it out inside !
Well let me reestablish from my above comment.....yes I did have moisture around my LED screen as stated by tripage and got rid of that with some compressed air ! I thought at first I might have done something with the LED screen removing the factory film but that was not the case ! Now if you really want to do this yourself I have found to NOT spray anything directly to the screen when cleaning off the original adhesive from the screen or you will end up like what I did and have moisture behind the screen ! Would I do this mod again? Knowing what I know now YES I would it does help to know everything or at least most everything B4 jumping into something..this was a learning curve for me I did do something's wrong not knowing but all was reversible and all is good now ! Mine is set to a bluish purple which I like ! But as I stated when lining up the film to get your true color you want if you line it up indoors make sure you also take it outside B4 applying the film in the sunshine because it will be a bit different in color! Hope this helps others that are about to jump into this !

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
531 Posts
I see you went for the screen mod looks good. You going to post your recent Gap pictures to the forum? The one you sent me via text didn't fully download.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
You should see the pic now ! As for the gauge film I had to redo it because the the blue/purple dissapeared in the areas with shade from the trees ..so now it's like this in the garage and more black and white outside in the sun and shaded areas !

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Did mine too. Been wanting since I first saw it. Be carefull to cut the new Film to the right size. After my first tiime applying film and buttoning up I had a small gap at the top that the orig color showed through at the top of display so i had to take apart and align new film better!!

Heres mine now

IMG_1752.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
A couple of people have experienced the moisture under the glass. All of them have reported that it has dried up with compressed air or simply letting it sit in the sun for a couple of hours. The key is to use small amounts of whatever liquid you choose to remove the old adhesive. Looks so good once it's done though! Ride on!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Did mine too. Been wanting since I first saw it. Be carefull to cut the new Film to the right size. After my first tiime applying film and buttoning up I had a small gap at the top that the orig color showed through at the top of display so i had to take apart and align new film better!!

Heres mine now

View attachment 156703
How does it look in the sun ? Mine goes to a more black than blue

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
I really like this mod and for me it has nothing to do with the SP model. I have often thought the dash was hard to read while riding and wished they had inverted the colors for more contrast. I am definitely doing this mod and thank you very much for the detailed write up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
May as well show mine. Got it from colorclusterz, it looks black and white in the daytime and maybe a slightly purpleish tint at night which can be changed by dimming the backlight. It's extremely clear and the sheet was a perfect cut, not to mention there's no weird coloring.

Attachments

Reactions: Screan29

·
Registered
130 Posts
May as well show mine. Got it from colorclusterz, it looks black and white in the daytime and maybe a slightly purpleish tint at night which can be changed by dimming the backlight. It's extremely clear and the sheet was a perfect cut, not to mention there's no weird coloring. View attachment 158827
In the daytime can you still see your screen clear? I tried their colour screen and i couldn't do it as i could absolutely see nothing in the daytime when i was riding in the sun. I had to take it off. IMO the stock cluster is perfect but i wouldn't mind inverting the colours like yours. I just dont' want to waste money if at any chance there is a slight bit of glare or dimness in the daytime.

·
Registered
290 Posts
In the daytime can you still see your screen clear? I tried their colour screen and i couldn't do it as i could absolutely see nothing in the daytime when i was riding in the sun. I had to take it off. IMO the stock cluster is perfect but i wouldn't mind inverting the colours like yours. I just dont' want to waste money if at any chance there is a slight bit of glare or dimness in the daytime.
Being a black background, it's not going to be as bright as a white one in the daytime. That being said, with the screen brightness set properly, I have had 0 issues with this particular film. I see perfectly day or night. I can't speak on their colored options but this "flip" film I would say is very good quality

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well let me reestablish from my above comment.....yes I did have moisture around my LED screen as stated by tripage and got rid of that with some compressed air ! I thought at first I might have done something with the LED screen removing the factory film but that was not the case ! Now if you really want to do this yourself I have found to NOT spray anything directly to the screen when cleaning off the original adhesive from the screen or you will end up like what I did and have moisture behind the screen ! Would I do this mod again? Knowing what I know now YES I would it does help to know everything or at least most everything B4 jumping into something..this was a learning curve for me I did do something's wrong not knowing but all was reversible and all is good now ! Mine is set to a bluish purple which I like ! But as I stated when lining up the film to get your true color you want if you line it up indoors make sure you also take it outside B4 applying the film in the sunshine because it will be a bit different in color! Hope this helps others that are about to jump into this !
I have this same issue (I think). Where exactly did you aim the compressed air? Also, will a hairdryer work?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Had to lift the lens up a bit and blow a light stream of air to it ! Hair dryer might work but I would be on low heat setting!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts