Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I did see that. Interesting. I'm just debating whether to do it or buy an SP.

Reactions: 1216bandit

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
That's much clearer and cooler.

Reactions: PaulNYC

·
Registered
5 Posts
The SP dash looks black and white in the sun but my dash looks more black and brown/tan after doing this. Did I not find the sweet spot for the film? My dash only looks black and white when it’s in the shade, or at night. What does your dash look like in the sun, and is it straight black and white?

·
Registered
128 Posts
The SP dash looks black and white in the sun but my dash looks more black and brown/tan after doing this. Did I not find the sweet spot for the film? My dash only looks black and white when it’s in the shade, or at night. What does your dash look like in the sun, and is it straight black and white?
bump...i'd like to know as well!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I am waiting for my film to arrive and question on how hard is the original film to get removed with out damaging the LCD board ... did you use anything like soap and water to help the removal process ?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
In for more info/words of wisdom. I ordered my polarizing sheet this weekend. Biggest concern is the OEM film being stuck to the LCD screen too well and it taking too much force to get off (abe's question above :)).

·
Registered
142 Posts
mine is also Black and tan

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is defiantly a sweet spot for the polarizing film. It might not be the same for everyone depending on your tastes but mine doesn't look tan. Also, the factory applied film will come off. Just take it slow.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I did this mod and when rotating the film I stopped when the background looked darkest. I also did this in my garage with low lighting and I find it does have a hint of brown coloring during daylight in the sun. Looking at the results from the original video and PaulNYC it looks like they rotated from the darkest to get a little more blue coloring (when it looks darkest it goes blue in one direction and purple in the other). I'm tempted to redo it with the additional material I have to see if the blue has a better result during daylight.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Haha tan here as well. My only other gripe is that you see the "ghosting" of other letters/numbers when they aren't lit up. I'm still a fan though.

Astcyr; good thought on the sweet spot not being just the darkest. That's what I did as well. I have a couple of hairs that got in to my housing so I may be pulling mine off again in the near future and giving it a second shot. Keep us posted if you have better luck next time.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Started to do mine just got the old film off which is very easy by starting at a corner and slowly peeling it off...mine was covered with the old adhesive and the only thing I had found that will remove the old adhesive is Plexus ! I tried some automotive cleaner used for pre prepping and removing wax and all other stuff and it did not work and also Yamaha spray detailing did not work or even a alcohol wipe !...will do my new film here in a bit !

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Started to do mine just got the old film off which is very easy by starting at a corner and slowly peeling it off...mine was covered with the old adhesive and the only thing I had found that will remove the old adhesive is Plexus ! I tried some automotive cleaner used for pre prepping and removing wax and all other stuff and it did not work and also Yamaha spray detailing did not work or even a alcohol wipe !...will do my new film here in a bit !
Shoot I wouldn't say the old film came off easily. I thought I was cracking the glass in the corners and was VERY uncomfortable until it finally started to come up. Felt very iffy most of the time. I was able to get all of the old film off with isopropyl alcohol... but boy was it a pain. Lots of scrubbing... Lots and lots of scrubbing.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
If you use your thumb as a holding point right behind where you are peeling off the old worked for me very well! But it is humid and hot here now so maybe that helps ...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Shoot I wouldn't say the old film came off easily. I thought I was cracking the glass in the corners and was VERY uncomfortable until it finally started to come up. Felt very iffy most of the time. I was able to get all of the old film off with isopropyl alcohol... but boy was it a pain. Lots of scrubbing... Lots and lots of scrubbing.
It's god damn nerve racking when you just start peeling the old film off. I couldn't tell if I was doing it right and then the corner broke off. Whoever discovered how to do this without having an instructional video either had a spare cluster or balls of steel.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Ok mine is now installed ! If you are on the fence on this mod my suggestion is to just pass it up and do not give it a second thought!!! I now have a cloud type look "see the picture" around the center area of the cluster under garage lighting..out in the sun that does disappear ...and if you are head strong about doing this mod line up the film in your garage to the color you like it THEN get it out in the sun and check it out you WILL have different lighting effects and the color changes ! I finally got a light blue that looked good outside and inside by getting the film in place outside first then check it out inside !

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts