Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone from 3rdGear, location:Rancho Cucamonga, CA. Happy owner of FZ09, color:Liquid graphite. Purschased 06/14. Otd price $9400 (includes 4 year warranty), guess I could have got it cheaper if I knew about this forum before buying it. So far (about 700 miles) love the bike except for the SEAT. I'wanted to keep everything stock and not do any mod's, but had to let go of the stock seat. Just changed seat to the one from Seatconcepts, its little better than stock seat, but will comment on it more when I get to put more miles on it.

Did 700 miles but did not get a chance to take it in for first service yet, any one who lives around my city could you please recommend the best place to take my bike for servicing.

fzz.jpg .

I really appreciate all the info I get from this forum. Thank you all for all the information.

Happy and Safe riding!

3rdGear.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Welcome! :) I feel your pain... the stock seat is horrible for longer rides on straight roads...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Aloha and welcome! Picked the fastest color(yes COLOR) too, I see. Read the recent thread titled 'Nightmare first service' before you consider taking your bike in for what is essentially and oil change. If you have the tools and the mechanical knowledge, why not just change it and then spend 30 minutes checking for the correct torque values on all the fasteners yourself? As long as you keep your receipts, there can be no warranty issues. Best of luck and ride safe...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx Niner, was planning to keep it all stock for now to save money I guess. What kind of mods did you do or would recommend? The suspension seems pretty decent to me for the kind of riding I do. I'll probably change handle bars as I'm 6'2 with long arms and would prefer something lilttle bit more comfortable, not sure adding on windshield will make much difference, other than that I am not a big fan of putting fancy stuff for the looks, guess I'm too old for that:).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx Da Braddah, I wish I had the mechanical knowledge, I can probably figure out to change oil/filter, but checking for the correct torque values? That would be greek and latin to me, are there any good You Tube videos out there to do that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What's up 3rdgear. I live in Rancho. Where did you purchase your 09 at? I purchased mine from John Burr in Fontana and had them do my first service. They are good people. I am going to be taking my bike into them soon to get some new Q3's put on as well. Another good dealer for our area would be Yamaha of Cucamonga. I haven't dealt with them for any service related issues for my 09 but I did buy my R6 from them way back in the day. I stop in there from time to time to pick up oil and other little bits and they seem to be cool dudes. Anyways if you're ever down to hit some twisties let me know.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Reaper828, purchased mine from John Burr aswell, if you dont mind me asking how much did you have to pay for your bike and for your first service? Just dropped of my bike for first service with 800 miles on it, hope that doesnt effect warranty in anyway.

Q3's, heard they are the best for twisties, new tires already? how many miles do you have on your bike? did you do any mods?

Good to know you are from Rancho, do you use your bike mostly for commute or pleasure riding, what are your usual riding routes up here.

Later, Ride safe!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I paid $9,300 OTD and I can't remember how much the first service was but I know it was below $200. I have 3,000 miles on my bike, the front tire still has some meat on it but the rear is getting to the point where I don't feel confident in it. My tires were the stock dunlops. Mods:

image.jpg
Yamaha windscreen, Driven D3 Axis grips and D3 bar ends, Mad Hornets shorty adjustable levers, Spiegler stainless front brake line, Flash Tune ECU flash w/M4 Map, M4 slip on exhaust, Barracuda Futura II LED blinkers front and back, Rumble Concepts flasher relay, Yoshimura fender eliminator, Plasti-Dipped the forks black. I think that's it.

I don't use my bike to commute. What about you? I usually always hit up Ortega highway with the guys from this forum. All really good guys. When I ride solo I usually go to Azusa Canyon, been to Big Bear, haven't gone to Idylwild but want to. And soon to make a trip to the snake out at Mulholland. Where do you ride?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Welcome 3rd Gear! I purchased my L. Graphite on 6/14 as well. Taking mine in for the 1st service this Saturday.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice, looks like u really spent some quality time on your bike, did you do all the mods yourself or did you get someone to do it for you? Does the windscreen make a significant difference and do you think its worth it?

Just learnt about the Socal Supermoto class from your thread, I'm planning to take the class soon.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Nice, looks like u really spent some quality time on your bike, did you do all the mods yourself or did you get someone to do it for you? Does the windscreen make a significant difference and do you think its worth it?

Just learnt about the Socal Supermoto class from your thread, I'm planning to take the class soon.
That looks like the Yamaha factory front cowl. I have the same one - it doesn't do much of anything but look cool.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Every mod I've done on the bike I did myself. I learned everything from this forum and a little from youtube. The more stuff you do, the easier the next project gets. And the windscreen makes a slight difference, but nothing significant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts