Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should have probably done this already but I've been just enjoying combing through the site. I'm new to the FZ09 phenomenon and to be honest it sorta happened by accident (that's what I keep telling my wife anyway) :rolleyes:

My current stable included the following: 1971 Honda CL125 pretty much stock; 1976 Honda CB550f completely restored and mildly café modded; and a 2000 Triumph Tiger 885i heavily farkled for travel. So suffice to say I wasn't lean on toys by any means. Neither was I looking for the next toy. To be honest I was completely happy with what I had.

The problem was, about a month ago I got an invite from my boss one Saturday morning, "Hey Chris, what are you doing today" Me: "I've got yard work to do ... why we going riding" ........

I'm on the east side of the state and he's on the west so I jumped on the 76 Honda and we met in southern IL. Only problem, the reason he wanted to meet is because he had just taken delivery on a new orange FZ09. He was originally looking at Tigers because of mine but this caught his attention. I was familiar with this little gem already because I'm a triple guy and always wanted a Speed Triple just couldn't really justify it.

So he let's me put about 100 miles on it after we have lunch. Of course I knew what to expect you know ... since I already own a triple and .... wait .... .HOLY $%@%$%$%!!!!!!!!!

I'm telling you (and told him for about a half hour later), I've ridden and owned countless cycles, Vtwins, parallel twins, inline triples, fours, singles, cruisers, sport bikes, etc. etc. ..... I have NEVER ridden anything like the FZ. It fit me perfect, it was really REALLY light, it was comfortable, it was .... good GAWD it was fast EVERYWHERE on the power band!!!!!!

And I'm sorry but even it's flaws are nit picky in my opinion. The stock suspension is better than I expected, not great, but certainly useable for my 5'8" 175lb frame. The seat is reasonably good for me (more on that in a minute), I mean compared to my 06 Bonneville, 03 VTX 1800, MUCH better actually. And unless you're used to carrying Adv touring or sport touring levels of fuel .... 130-140 miles before filling up is about what EVERYONE else in a small ride party is going to get anyway so you're stopping regardless.

The next thing I knew, I blacked out, ......... when I woke I was taking delivery on a graphite model. Not crazy about the blue wheels but they're growing on me. Originally was looking for red but that didn't pan out, couldn't find one. I'll get over the wheels ;-)

Mods done thus far include:

- SW-Mototech Alu-Rack - was a PAIN to install, I may have had a bent piece but the fit took some coaxing. The finished product looks great though
- MRA Touring Screen in Smoke - verdict still out on this one
- Already had a Bestem 929 top box and I think it looks better on the mototech rack because the rack sits a little lower profile than the Yamaha offering
- Tightened slack at the throttle. Made a slight improvement on the jerkiness
- Removed the reflectors front and back. I'm sorry but I hated them

Mods coming:

- Saddlemen Tech seat on the way - yeah I know I just said the stock seat wasn't bad .... for me .... the wife on the other hand wasn't happy. Full review coming once it's here and I've put a weekend trip on it.
- Frame sliders. Actually looking for something that might double duty as a forward peg long enough to stretch my legs.
- Possible tail tidy though to be honest with the tail rack it really tones that down
- Possible wheel powdercoat. Like I said they're growing on me so we'll see.

Here's a couple pics with the windshield and tail rack installed:

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Very nice! Trust me, you aren't the only one that was taken by surprise when first riding the 09. It's a beast isn't it.

I use to live in IL until 2006.....Granite City! I spent a lot of time in the Southern part of the state Deer hunting years ago. What town are you from?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh I know the area well. I'm from the small town of Marshall about 15 min west of Terre Haute IN ("A Christmas Story" anyone??). The company I work for is in Troy, IL so I'm in your old stomping grounds all the time.

And it takes a lot to catch my attention. I was NOT expecting this little gem at all. In fact, I've already sold the Tiger and am probably going to sell the 76 Honda as well. I just don't see myself riding it now and it'd be a shame to let it just sit after all the work I did on it ........

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Nice ride. I also show up at home with a yellow sheet of paper saying I was $9200.00 more broke than few hour ago. LOL Wife was all cool with it, all she said "now I can ride the FZ6R" LOL

Even the other day I was talking with her about having request to built FZ07 exhaust and she was like "I won't mind riding that too" LOL

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nice ride. I also show up at home with a yellow sheet of paper saying I was $9200.00 more broke than few hour ago. LOL Wife was all cool with it, all she said "now I can ride the FZ6R" LOL

Even the other day I was talking with her about having request to built FZ07 exhaust and she was like "I won't mind riding that too" LOL
Similar story. My wife was on a vacation trip to Aruba for a team building weekend at work. I took the opportunity to buy an FZ-09. She had no idea, came home and was like "What happened to your bike?!?" (I had to leave my FZ6 at the bike dealer cause I didn't have a ride back to the shop to ride it home). She was cool with it though, just caught her by surprise. She'll think twice before leaving me home alone again, I might end up with a Superleggara!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Welcome to the Machine!
Surprise, surprise... the little package delivers! :rolleyes:
Enjoy the beast. No taming it.

Reactions: cthouse

·
Registered
260 Posts
...The next thing I knew, I blacked out, ......... when I woke I was taking delivery on a graphite model.
Mods done thus far include:
- SW-Mototech Alu-Rack - was a PAIN to install, I may have had a bent piece but the fit took some coaxing. The finished product looks great though
I did a test drive back in March in Daytona at the Yamaha tent and obsessed about the FZ09 all through the month of April until I took action and made my purchase in mid May.

The first thing I did besides oil and filter change was to install the SW-Motech Alu-Rack. I had a similar installation experience as you. Had to loosen all bolts to get the rack bent around to my way of thinking and as you stated, finished product looks great.

Welcome!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Welcome -- Great first post too:eagerness:

All you need now is some LED's and an FZ-09 Darkside Shirt and you'll be Official:cool:

Reactions: Topher0268

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
.... wait .... .HOLY $%@%$%$%!!!!!!!!!

I'm telling you (and told him for about a half hour later), I've ridden and owned countless cycles, Vtwins, parallel twins, inline triples, fours, singles, cruisers, sport bikes, etc. etc. ..... I have NEVER ridden anything like the FZ. It fit me perfect, it was really REALLY light, it was comfortable, it was .... good GAWD it was fast EVERYWHERE on the power band!!!!!!
Kinda grabs you by the boo-boo, doesn't it? ;) BTW that 550 is a thing of beauty... I miss my kick-starter...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kinda grabs you by the boo-boo, doesn't it? ;) BTW that 550 is a thing of beauty... I miss my kick-starter...
Thanks Mothy .... I started out as a real pile of poo!! Good strong engine and mechanics but UGLY!. Took me 4 years off and on to go through everything and repair, replace, upgrade, tune, paint, design, etc. I'm very proud to say every bit of it was done in my garage and or basement shop. I can't BELIEVE I'm now considering letting her go because it's a blast to ride too and talk about the crowd it gathers :cool:

Still with work, two teenagers, and home life you only have a finite amount of time to ride and the FZ09 (man it needs a better name) reminds me of why I started riding in the first place. I feel like I did riding dirt bikes as a kid .. .It's just a HOOT!!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Welcome!
Did you get the updated MRA windscreen mounts? The initial batch was a bit flimsy. So, MRA stepped up and offered updated ones to those that had already taken delivery of the touring and double bubble screens.
As for the wheels, you could always pinstripe them. I did mine in reflective black 1/4 in. tape from StreetGlo. Daytime? They are hardly noticeable. But at night.... =)

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe I did. Mine came with a bracing bracket between the side brackets. You gotta pic of the pin striping by chance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
I believe I did. Mine came with a bracing bracket between the side brackets. You gotta pic of the pin striping by chance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here are examples of the rim stripes on my DL1000, FZ8 and FZ-09.

Tire Spoke Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Automotive tire Tire Automotive tire Spoke Wheel Auto part Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorcycle accessories

Attachments

Reactions: Topher0268

·
Registered
768 Posts
+ the Tenere Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts