Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've got an intermittent problem with my XSR900. I use STD Mode most of the time, but have noticed, on a number of occasions that the Mode changes to 1 after the ignition has been switched off and back on again some time later i.e after a rest stop or overnight. I have almost been caught out a couple of times as I do not always check what Mode I was in as I assumed that once set it remains in that setting until manually changed.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Are you saying the traction control changes by itself? From 2 to 1? Or that the engine mode changes from STD to A or B?

STD and numbers aren't the same settings.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi all, I've got an intermittent problem with my XSR900. I use STD Mode most of the time, but have noticed, on a number of occasions that the Mode changes to 1 after the ignition has been switched off and back on again some time later i.e after a rest stop or overnight. I have almost been caught out a couple of times as I do not always check what Mode I was in as I assumed that once set it remains in that setting until manually changed.

Any ideas?
Correction its the Engine MODE settings STD to A. Apologies for any confusion

·
Registered
85 Posts
You can change it on the fly, you just have to be completely off throttle.

If you had the ECU flashed, it could have been set to start up in A mode.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bike is bog standard no ECU flash. I know I can change the mode on the fly, but mine seems to change between switching the engine off and then back on again, but it is only intermittent.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bike is bog standard no ECU flash. I know I can change the mode on the fly, but mine seems to change between switching the engine off and then back on again, but it is only intermittent.
Possibly a dirty button? I'd pop open the casing and see if there's any gunk in there that might be closing the circuit? I don't know that it would explain why it would go on and off only when you turn the engine on and off. But weird things happen..

Definitely strange, keep us updated.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You'll need to check your Owner's Manual and see what the default D-Mode is set to once you turn off the key.

I mention this because on the older FZ-09's the D-Mode would reset back to STD Mode once you turn off the bike.

From the 2014 FZ-09 Owner's Manual.

Text Font Line Illustration

From a newer XSR900 Owner's Manual, it looks like it saves the last D-Mode setting.

Text Font Line

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi I ride in the STD mode all the time, so according to my handbook, this is the Mode that should be saved when I turn the ignition OFF. The only possible explanation I can come up with, other than a system malfunction, is that I am accidently pressing the Mode button just before I turn OFF the ignition, but I can't see how.
I will have to monitor my actions more carefully.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi I ride in the STD mode all the time, so according to my handbook, this is the Mode that should be saved when I turn the ignition OFF. The only possible explanation I can come up with, other than a system malfunction, is that I am accidently pressing the Mode button just before I turn OFF the ignition, but I can't see how.
I will have to monitor my actions more carefully.
Or you try to start the engine with the mode button, like lots of people do. Force of habit learned on regular start button.
Especially if it’s your firs bike with that weird Yamaha start/kill switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well everything has function okay until today. I stopped to talk to a mate, stopped the engine with the kill switch but left the ignition ON. Restarted the engine after about 5 mins and rode the 500 metres home. As I was putting the bike in the garage I noticed that it was in 'A' Mode and I didn't change it at any time from the 'STD' Mode.
I'll have to repeat my actions and see if I can reproduce the 'problem'.

·
Registered
564 Posts
From posts that I've read, folks that use the kill switch seem to have intermittent electronic problems... FYI

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
My XSR got back from a suspension upgrade (no flash), and while testing the new stuff I noticed my bike was in A mode. I did not put it A mode, always started in STD before. I've noticed my bike will hold the mode I was last in when started up again. This is new...but it doesn't bother me. Just living with the ghost in the machine. My FZ always reverts to STD, so there ya go. My XSR has a mind of its own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts