Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the CP3 an interference engine? I Googled it and can't find anything on the topic. Last night I was in a mood and givin' 'er sh*t, hit rev limiter in 3rd and instinctively kicked it down to 2nd! My brain temporarily switched to GP shift mode (my track bike is GP). First time I've ever done this in years of having bikes with standard and GP shift... anyway, the bike seems to be perfectly fine. No new noises, exact same power delivery. Either it has way more rev potential than the redline suggests, or a slipper clutch nobody knows about, or I skidded the rear and was too frazzled to notice, or it isn't an interference engine.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yikes is right! No, I won't. It makes it scary when swapping bikes with friends (I like swapping for my girlfriend's Fireblade ;) ), plus I can't change my dirt bike to GP so I'd still have a bike that's standard. I know the dirt bike is at almost zero risk of damage from a missed shift, but as I said that was the first time it has ever happened. A bit of a wake up call to not ride like an ass when I'm in a bad mood. LOL...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely an interference motor.
I figured it had to be, just couldn't find anything on the topic. Probably because it's obvious that a high performance engine would be interference. I guess I got extremely lucky. I didn't hear anything bad, just very high revs. The CP3 sounds even better up there, despite how scary it was. :eek:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
If you bended a valve you would know. It will either be popping in the exhaust or intake. Look like your valve are still seated properly... lucky I guess.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I suggest you convert it to GP shift pattern so you are consistent across your bikes. Would not be good to accidentally downshift like that too often...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts