Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2015 FZ 09
16 Posts
Maybe a stupid question: If you modify your airbox to allow more airflow to the engine, do you need to tune the ECU to compensate or will it automatically adjust the air/fuel ratio?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Maybe a stupid question: If you modify your airbox to allow more airflow to the engine, do you need to tune the ECU to compensate or will it automatically adjust the air/fuel ratio?
Not a stupid question at all. These bikes have a pretty primitive speed density system so they can't do a whole lot of compensating for hardware changes. Most of the reasonable mods you would do to one of these intakes won't effect the mixtures enough to cause any issues though.

I do stuff like this because I tune my own vehicles and log everytime I ride so if my mods do effect mixtures, I'd see it in the logs and can adjust the tune. There is some inherent risk to modifying engine hardware though without being able to see the resulting mixtures, so your question is a valid one.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
666 Posts
You certainly did that mill justice. I've been trying to get my hands on one to refurbish and toy with. Makes sense how perfect it fits that you rebuilt around it. I helped rearange the machine shop when I was taking classes for machining. They are not light even when apart and certainly well built!!!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I really like the idea, and love that it's that random bit of plastic you kept for just in case.
Brilliant.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts