Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like looking through the parts catalogs on new models to see what kind of changes were made. I noticed this change they did on the airbox. They basically increased the area for air to get into the airbox by 3 times. They also left the tubes long so the noise level wouldn't be obnoxiously loud.

I've done a few variations of mods to my airbox and when I opened up the entire front of the box the intake sound would actually hurt my ears at WOT. I've since went back to a bell shaped inlet similar to a velocity stack and even though the inlet area is larger than stock it doesn't make the noise level obnoxious.

This was my version 2, version 1 was pretty much what everyone does, I just cut off the bottom of the tube. This was hella loud!

This is what I've been running lately, it's barely louder than stock and has a smooth path for airflow into the box... (Obviously all this is picking nits but I like playing around with trivial tuning stuff. If you do enough trivial stuff that goes in the right direction, you can end up with an engine that works at it's absolute peak of efficiency.)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I like looking through the parts catalogs on new models to see what kind of changes were made. I noticed this change they did on the airbox. They basically increased the area for air to get into the airbox by 3 times. They also left the tubes long so the noise level wouldn't be obnoxiously loud.

View attachment 162710 View attachment 162711
I wonder if the air intakes pointing out to the sides means that the fake air scoops might finally be functional?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah from the looks of the parts listings and pictures the scoops ARE functional. Yamaha definitely concentrated on getting more air into the airbox. No doubt trying to make up for the power losses the stricter emissions limits were going to cause.
vcyclenut- cutting that cover in front of the air intake was one of the first things I did!

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
687 Posts
More air in, more air out helps with their emissions numbers. Nice job on your air box and plastic welds!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah from the looks of the parts listings and pictures the scoops ARE functional. Yamaha definitely concentrated on getting more air into the airbox. No doubt trying to make up for the power losses the stricter emissions limits were going to cause.
vcyclenut- cutting that cover in front of the air intake was one of the first things I did!

View attachment 162718
God the new air PX looks like a nightmare and a half to try and pluck off

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@gmtech16450yz
What is the bell mouth/vstack originally off?
I really like the idea.

How's this story for random... I was building a little additional square footage onto my shop and had some really big floor standing speakers I wanted to put in the walls so they wouldn't take up so much room. (SF Bay Area expensive real estate issues. Every square inch matters. lol) I cut the backs off the speaker enclosures so I could mount them flush into the wall and use the wall space for the speaker air volume. The bass reflex tubes had these really nice bell shaped inlets and outlets and I looked at them and thought, "Hmm, those look like something I should keep in case I want to use them for a project." A few weeks later I was looking at the airbox on my bike and remembered those bass tubes I cut the ends off of. Grabbed one and it looked perfect for the idea!

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
687 Posts
How's this story for random... I was building a little additional square footage onto my shop and had some really big floor standing speakers I wanted to put in the walls so they wouldn't take up so much room. (SF Bay Area expensive real estate issues. Every square inch matters. lol) I cut the backs off the speaker enclosures so I could mount them flush into the wall and use the wall space for the speaker air volume. The bass reflex tubes had these really nice bell shaped inlets and outlets and I looked at them and thought, "Hmm, those look like something I should keep in case I want to use them for a project." A few weeks later I was looking at the airbox on my bike and remembered those bass tubes I cut the ends off of. Grabbed one and it looked perfect for the idea!

View attachment 162721 View attachment 162722
I was showing my wife and she said cut the "hole thingie" out of your old sub. Then I read your update lol. I forgot I have an old sub box staring at me everytime I go into the attic. May have to break out my plastic welding kit and play some. I'm interested in your previous mod noise. Is it comparable to running a CAI on a car vs the stock box?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was showing my wife and she said cut the "hole thingie" out of your old sub. Then I read your update lol. I forgot I have an old sub box staring at me everytime I go into the attic. May have to break out my plastic welding kit and play some. I'm interested in your previous mod noise. Is it comparable to running a CAI on a car vs the stock box?
Yeah it sounds like a Civic with no air cleaner hitting Vtech yo. Lol. The harmonics of those 3 cylinders sucking air at 10k wot is pretty painful when it's not dampened much.

Smart wife, I like that.

·
Registered
2017 Hi-Viz and Matte Grey MT-09
483 Posts
Looks like plastic welding, Unicorn. AKA: zipties and a soldering iron. One of the best examples of plastic welding I've seen, to be honest.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, yeah it's all plastic welded.

The very first time I tried to plastic weld was when I was like 10 years old and was frustrated with having to wait for model glue to dry when I was making model cars. Super glue wasn't even a thing back then! So out of frustration I tried plastic welding my model cars together. It was mostly a failure, but I learned how to do it a tad better in the next 49 years after that! Learning how to Oxy/Acetylene and Arc/stick weld when I was about that same age helped a lot. It's kinda like soldering, it's easy to do it wrong and takes a lot of practice and understanding to do it right. One secret is if you're trying to make it look pretty, you're doing it wrong. lol.

BTW, if any of you try plastic welding, make sure you have plenty of ventilation. I have a fan at the end of my workbench in my shop that blows any toxic fumes away from me when I'm doing stuff like that.

Here's what the inside of that inlet looked like...

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,113 Posts
Damn, man, that mill is a work of art. 🤤 I always wanted to get into machining, but for lack of time/money/space/patience I never have. I still have plenty of work to do on my welding skills, anyway. I’ll never be bored!

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
687 Posts
I started with zip ties as a kid and never really messed with it again until older. Had a basic kit I found online (can even buy them at home depot). When I got into automotive the shop I was at had a custom machine that worked like a mig and extruded plastic through a feeder as it heated the surfaces and bonding plastic. Had all the cool plastic staples. I got to learn as I went as no one had ever used that stuff until I dug it out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn, man, that mill is a work of art. 🤤 I always wanted to get into machining, but for lack of time/money/space/patience I never have. I still have plenty of work to do on my welding skills, anyway. I’ll never be bored!
I love my Bridgeport!!! The design is around 100 years old and that machine itself is around 60 years old. That was back when America built things to last. When I'm using it I often think about how there must have been hundreds of these exact mills in factories building the equipment we used to fight WWII, and how many of those mills were probably being run by women.

I have a ~50 year old South Bend lathe in my shop also, I rebuilt them both and instead of painting them boring old machine grey I opted for gloss black and polished aluminum. I use them both all the time, they're usually covered in chips and coils of various materials.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
687 Posts
Must have been interesting to get that mill in there. Not much space above it and they are anything but light

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Must have been interesting to get that mill in there. Not much space above it and they are anything but light
It's easy, you just build the building around it! Yeah it weighs around 2,500lbs all together. Even in pieces I had to use my engine hoist and block and tackles to move the separate parts. Since I had it all apart when I rebuilt it I just built it back together in place. I have rebuilt the area around it twice though over the years, but the mill has stayed in it's same spot on it's concrete pad since I got it.

Here's some pics...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts