Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a big proponent of brake light modulators, but most on the market leave A LOT to be desired. They usually just have a single flashing sequence that repeats indefinitely as long as the brake is activated. This has several negative side effects that counter-act the safety aspect of the modulator:

1. A seizure inducing, crazy pattern, flashing light in front of you can get super annoying really quick for anyone behind you in traffic, and, in some instances, can create target fixation.
  2. Some modulators have a blink pattern that only repeats a certain number of times, and then stops… which is better, but if you’re in stop and go traffic (very common in the Bay Area), every time you release the brake the modulator resets and repeats the pattern all over again when the brake is activated again… leading back to the annoyance factor for anyone behind you.
  3. Flashing patterns that repeat continuously don’t communicate to drivers behind you whether your suddenly slowing, or already at a complete stop, it’s just constantly flashing the same pattern for any and all brake applications.
Now enter the Vizi-Tec SupaBrakeII modulator. This product addresses and resolves all of these concerns.

1. It has a flashing pattern, yes, but it's adjustable and customizable. It comes pre-programmed with 10 different patterns depending on how aggressive or relaxed you want your brake light to flash. You can even turn it off if you like (if you have a state vehicle inspection, etc.) without having to uninstall it.
  2. When the frequency of brake application increases (i.e. during low speeds such as city/town driving), the shorter the burst of flashes will be. If the brakes are applied within 0 - 12 seconds of each other, the brake light will NOT flash at all - thus allowing it to function as a normal solid brake light. This is really valuable during heavy stop-and-go traffic so you're not pissing off the person trapped behind you.
  3. Vizi-Tec modulators are designed to pulsate your vehicle's brake light with a variable number of flashes based on the rate at which you apply your brakes. As a result, the brake light is more understated at lower speeds (when brakes are frequently used), and more aggressive at higher speeds (when brakes are not used for longer time intervals). It is also programmed with a "decaying flash routine" where each pulse period is gradually increased from the previous pulse. This gives the given burst cycle a "de-acceleration" illusion when viewed from behind at speed.
Now, the cherry on top of all of this - each modulator comes with the correct OEM brake light connector for -YOUR- bike, so you can just plug it in and go. No wire cutting, no splicing, no sautering, no taping, absolutely no electrical no-how needed to install this thing.

IMHO, this is the best brake light modulator on the market - PERIOD.

I have no affiliation with this company other than being an extremely satisfied repeat customer.

Back in 2007, when I was looking for a brake modulator for my FZ6, I just wasn't very impressed with what was available (and not much has changed since then). After extensive searching I stumbled upon the Vizi-Tec website. It was EXACTLY what I had been hunting for. I contacted him because his website didn't list my bike, but a few pictures later he had made one for the FZ6 and gave the first one he made for free for my "trouble." 7 years and over 70k miles later, it's still on my FZ6 and still going strong.

Now enter my new FZ-09. I went to the website, and the FZ-09 was not listed :( So again, a few emails and a few pictures later - they made one for the Niner :D

He lives nearby, so I went to his house this morning and picked up the very first one made for the FZ-09!

Product Auto part Technology Engine Electronic component

Here is a pic of the Vizi-Tec snapped into the OEM connectors. This was the first one, and he wasn't sure how/where it would mount ahead of time, so there's some excess wire here than will be on following models. But the module itself is tiny, so it's not hard for it (excess wire and all) to fit in the tail of the bike.

Automotive lighting Auto part Wire Technology Engine

·
Registered
235 Posts
When will he have these available?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looks like I'll be ordering one soon!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I told him this morning that I would be posting up here about it, and he just emailed me a coupon code that gives 20% off for the first 20 customers. Expires last day of March. Good on any SB2 and other products!

Here's the code: VTFZ92020

·
Registered
235 Posts
Awesome.. Thanks

·
Registered
584 Posts
I just ordered and got the 20% off. glad this got posted.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ordered using the 20% coupon. Thanks.

+1 for safety and +1 for the first 'mod' to my bike.

Hopefully it works with Niners integrated tail mod as I would eventually like to install that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ordered using the 20% coupon. Thanks.

+1 for safety and +1 for the first 'mod' to my bike.

Hopefully it works with Niners integrated tail mod as I would eventually like to install that.

Shouldn't have any issue using both.. I have both on the way also

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just figured I'd post this since I was pleasantly surprised. Placed my order on Saturday (1/1/14) around 11am. The 'SupaBrake II' arrived on my door step on Monday (1/3/14) around 9am. That is probably the fastest shipping I've ever received for a ~2$ shipping fee and mind you it traveled from CA to RI.

Cable Wire Technology Electronic device

The quality looks top notch, but sadly my bike is in storage and I probably won't test it out till the beginning of spring. Bernard included a couple zip-ties and a note. Without having tested it in action, I'd say it was already worth the money spent.

Thanks Lucky_Devil for the heads up.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Got mine as well.. Ordered fri evening delivered mon morning..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looks like he uses different stickers.. Mines more like yours but I have the number 2 instead of roman numeral II.. It has firmware 2.1e

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks like he uses different stickers.. Mines more like yours but I have the number 2 instead of roman numeral II.. It has firmware 2.1e
Being curious, and an engineer who has been taught to question things, I contacted him for the hell of it. He ran out of the 'pretty' stickers and had to use the older ones. He even offered to ship me new stickers, but I honestly didn't care much about that. I also asked about the 'FW:2.1e' sticker and if it was in fact the latest revision. He ensured me it was and sent me an updated user manual that had a list of the revisions.

Sticker is old, firmware is new. All good in my book. If you get the chance, you should post a video demoing it. I was kind of surprised when YouTube had very limited videos on it. I know and understand what it does, but we all love visuals...or at least I do especially when I don't have my bike in my possession yet.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sounds good to me.. I'll see what I can do about a video, the OP may be able to make one before me..

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't really have a means to take a video. My smartphone can shoot video, but I don't have a tripod or any way to hold the phone while I activate the brakes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What's the trick to getting the OEM connector apart? It's in such a tight spot with very little slack in the line that I cannot seem to get any leverage! The clip underneath that holds it in-place doesn't help the situation either... Very frustrating!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts