Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried this taillight? I did a search and didn't find anything. I like the idea of getting a "Rizoma-style" taillight with integrated blinkers (something the Rizoma doesn't offer) and fender eliminator eliminator in a single package. Price is actually a fair bit cheaper than the Rizoma, a FE kit like the Grave's, plus the cost of rear turn signals to replace the stock units.

Yamaha FZ09 2014-2015 STD Triple LED Fender Eliminator Conversion Kit

taillight.jpg

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
a long time ago someone posted about a light like this but this looks a bit different. Pretty cool design - i'd just be concerned about how bright it is - particularly for $180.

I'll see if i can find that other thread.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Honestly, I am thinking about switching back to stand alone blinkers on the back with a regular tail light. As beck pointed out, visibility might be an issue. Ill add even with bright LEDs its still an issue on an integrated light IMO. I have cars behind me, when I make a turn, almost slam on their brakes as they come up on me. I signal well in advance, but it's like they don't see it. I switched my signal function to sequential and will see if there is improvement, otherwise I am ditching the integrated tail. Something to think about with that particular model you are looking at. I'd be worried you cant adequately see the signal from distance.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Honestly, I am thinking about switching back to stand alone blinkers on the back with a regular tail light. As beck pointed out, visibility might be an issue. Ill add even with bright LEDs its still an issue on an integrated light IMO. I have cars behind me, when I make a turn, almost slam on their brakes as they come up on me. I signal well in advance, but it's like they don't see it. I switched my signal function to sequential and will see if there is improvement, otherwise I am ditching the integrated tail. Something to think about with that particular model you are looking at. I'd be worried you cant adequately see the signal from distance.
I was thinking of getting those tripage LED integrated turn signals into my rear passenger pegs. I saw them on Crosshairs bike and the visibility and overall fit and finish is fantastic.

fz09 LED Rear Passenger Pegs

I dont want to sacrifice sending that stuff away during the riding seasons so will likely be a winter mod - but just another option to consider that will allow you to stick with the integrated taillight and add some additional side turn signal visibility.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was thinking of getting those tripage LED integrated turn signals into my rear passenger pegs. I saw them on Crosshairs bike and the visibility and overall fit and finish is fantastic.

fz09 LED Rear Passenger Pegs

I dont want to sacrifice sending that stuff away during the riding seasons so will likely be a winter mod - but just another option to consider that will allow you to stick with the integrated taillight and add some additional side turn signal visibility.
The tripage passenger peg mounted lights were already on my mind as well...

On my GSX-R that I sold to buy the FZ, I had both an integrated taillight and lights in my undertail. From my point of view, it's very difficult to be TOO visible on a bike.

For the FZ, I would probably add the pegs as well, not only to add additional visibility from the rear, but also to ensure visibility from the side.

On the same note, I also found this thread today: http://www.fz09.org/forum/13-fz-09-gear-accessories/7576-daytime-running-lights-intake-lights.html

I'm thinking about doing that along with the Motodynamic flushmounts in the stock location - again, to add visibility from both the front and the side.

Edit: For the brightness issue, I'm not too concerned. I have a contact (AnotherBend) on Gixxer.com that does absolutely amazing led retrofits by pulling apart the stock light and replacing the internals with his own custom boards and lights. I'd probably eventually let him do his magic on this taillight as well.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i hear you FazeNiner - i'll likely do a similar set up. As great as the CUSTOMLED light is - without turn signals - side visibility is limited.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I like the idea of the passenger peg lights, but wonder how much it effects the strength of the peg brackets after drilling so many holes in them???

I have ordered some of these for my 09 to attached to the passenger peg brackets.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...alm-3-led-rectangular-accent-light-module/22/

I have also ordered a set of white and amber to install inside the intake scopes for added running lights and signal lights. I figure with how little they cost, it's worth a shot.

Plus they also have a good option for the brake light strobe. I know it only has one flash pattern, but like the one guy who reviewed it says.

Don't spend any more
"I know some have choices of 10 or more patterns, but odds are you will find what you like and never change it again." lol

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-controllers/brake-light-strobe-module/195/845/

They even sell stuff to "bling" out grandpa's scooter, lol.
led-dream-color-chasing-changing-under-scooter.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts