Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Geico this morning to get a quote on the FZ-09 and they told me $2400. State Farm quoted me $380. I couldn't believe the difference.

For reference, my bikes are in central PA. My XL1200 Harley is four hundred and change, my Suzuki S40 is $260, and my Shadow 750 is around $325. State Farm goes by ccs. So, if your insurance is high, you might want to try State Farm.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I called Geico this morning to get a quote on the FZ-09 and they told me $2400. State Farm quoted me $380. I couldn't believe the difference.

For reference, my bikes are in central PA. My XL1200 Harley is four hundred and change, my Suzuki S40 is $260, and my Shadow 750 is around $325. State Farm goes by ccs. So, if your insurance is high, you might want to try State Farm.
380?
Full coverage or min liability?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Well my GEICO bill came in last week and I went through the roof. They wanted double for my FZ than they did for my CBR954RR. WTF, and I don't have a loan on anything. We went down to Allstate today, gave them our homeowners, three cagers, and three motorcycles. We saved a total of $1800 a year. The FZ went from $1,143.00 to $ 462.00, full coverage. Sayonara, [email protected]#$ers.

·
Registered
232 Posts
wow GEICO sounds like highway robbery i guess the little green lizard is a share holder and living high on the hog lol,,,

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just quit geico for my cage...they weren't happy. switched to state farm; however, MY BIG PROBLEM...state farm won't insure my bike since i drove it for 2 months before insuring. anybody know a way around this?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I just quit geico for my cage...they weren't happy. switched to state farm; however, MY BIG PROBLEM...state farm won't insure my bike since i drove it for 2 months before insuring. anybody know a way around this?
Allstate has a captive that they can run it through.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Cool Doug, but if the FZ was your only bike would it be more than $462?
Bob, I couldn't tell you. I had 4 bikes and a Polaris RZR this time last year. This is the emptiest my shop has been in a long time. They kept giving us discounts every time I turned around for all of the stuff we have, and I paid my homeowners in full for a year because I was saving so much money.

He asked us how long we had been riding motorcycles and I said 40 years, and my wife said 20. His eyes bugged out.

They did ask us if we wanted to use a measuring device for our driving habits to try and further reduce our premiums, and I declined knowing that that they would cancel us in a week if I used that device.

·
Registered
670 Posts

That's expected when try to buy motorcycle insurance through the Obamacare website.

Couldn't resist ...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Geico and progressive wanted over 2500 a year. I chortled. I went with Dairyland. I'm apprehensive as they sent me two notices, one saying I didn't pay them a deposit and another saying I didn't provide proof of home ownership. Neither of those things were requested or disclosed when I first started and began payment on my policy, so we shall see how things work out.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Wanna know something crazy...geico doesn't insure motorcycles. They actually just handle the policy, but another company actually insures the bike. USAA is the same way...they actually use progressive. My wife works at Geico and with her discount, and my military discount they want around 5K...insanity.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Before I picked up the FZ, I called USAA, whom I've been using for probably fifteen years. When I told them it was for a motorcycle, they stated that they were no longer writing new policies for motorcycles, but my two other bikes would still be covered. They then switched me over to Geico, who quoted me $680. I told them that I was going to shop around. I then called the shop that I was buying the bike through, and they told me that even though I was financing, I didn't have to have full coverage. I told them what the Geico premium was going to be, and they told me not to worry, they could find a better deal. I went with Dairyland, and for full coverage, I'm paying $450. I know that there are a lot of variables that enter in here, but I'd say to look around more.

·
Registered
883 Posts
When I lived in Pennsylvania, GEICO was prohibitively expensive, Progressive wasn't bad, but I ended up with a company called Aegis. Had never heard of them but they were fine. Moved to Maryland, and Aegis doesn't write motorcycle policies in Maryland. Progressive was now as high as GEICO in Pennsylvania was, and GEICO in Maryland was by far the least expensive.

Right now, I have three street motorcycles with two riders (18 yo daughter and me) for about $1,000 a year, mostly from full coverage on the FZ-09. If I dropped the collision coverage on the FZ-09, the premium for the two of us would drop to about $440.

When I was riding a 250 before my daughter received her license, I was paying $99 per year. Shopping around helps; the market changes constantly.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Wanna know something crazy...geico doesn't insure motorcycles. They actually just handle the policy, but another company actually insures the bike. USAA is the same way...they actually use progressive. My wife works at Geico and with her discount, and my military discount they want around 5K...insanity.
Berkshire Hathaway Companies owns GEICO. My policy is written through GEICO Indemnity Company, which is a subsidiary of GEICO. Are you referring to a company outside GEICO's corporate structure? The insurance card should show the name of the company.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah, if you are at all price sensitive check the insurance cost before you buy a bike. The MSRP of the 09 is low but the insurance isn't.

I bought the 09 with cash, didn't get collision, would probably have done that anyway. I don't want the buy-back fuss, won't even report a crash if I don't have to, I'll own the repair etc. YMMV lol

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Home and auto insurance is funny. I'm an agent and didn't write it myself self but went with Progressive. Picked up my bike on Friday, called tProgressive on Saturday. Paid $361 for the year full coverage. Bottom line shop around.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts