Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into a problem last night installing valve shims for my first time doing a valve adjustment and was hoping for some tips. For what it is worth, I did use the forum search as well as a google site search and read up on valve adjustments before hand. This was great because I knew to buy a 14mm hex socket before starting. I've been using the service manual as a guide through the job without problem until I went to install the new valve shims.

My method for installing the shims was to:
1. Wipe clean the valve shims and the mating surface of the valve bucket with a microfiber rag.
2. Dab a bit of engine assembly lubricant to both sides of the shim.
3. Carefully place the shim, number side against the bucket, into the bucket on the mating surface
4. Flip the bucket over and let it rest
5. Use a valve lopper to move the bucket from my bench into the valve (cylinder?)

This worked for 8 of the 11 buckets. Two shims just wouldn't stay on the bucket when I flipped it over. The remaining shim stayed on the bucket until I angled to insert it. At that moment, the shim slipped out and fell down the valve cylinder. The removal process took maybe 35 min and resulted in the casualty of at very tiny allen key. Fallen Shim.JPG

My questions are:
1. are you supposed to lube both sides of the shim?
2. Are you supposed to put the shim on the valve then put the bucket on top? Or do it my way?
3. If I am doing it right? What might be causing these 3 to slip off.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've always put the new shim on the valve, then installed the bucket. Worked well on every shim under bucket type motor I've owned. Also, a small magnet on the end of a flexible stalk quickly solves those awkward shim retrieval moments.

·
Registered
514 Posts
1. Wipe clean the valve shims and the mating surface of the valve bucket with a microfiber rag - Do not touch any oiled parts with anything but your hand or a tool.
2. Dab a bit of engine assembly lubricant to both sides of the shim - Your hands are oiled enough as far a lubing a dry shim. Less oil, the more accurate the measured gap.
3. Carefully place the shim, number side against the bucket, into the bucket on the mating surface - Correct. Number facing you when you pull the bucket on the next inspection.
4. Flip the bucket over and let it rest - What usually happens is the shim is sucked out of the valve retainer. Install the new sized shim in the valve retainer first.
5. Use a valve lopper to move the bucket from my bench into the valve (cylinder?) Use a magnet to pull the bucket, a pocket or stick magnet to retrieve the shim sitting down the spring. You do not want to damage the bucket's wall surface(s).

My questions are:
1. are you supposed to lube both sides of the shim? - The retainer and bucket have residual oil. Your fingers have enough lube moving parts around.
2. Are you supposed to put the shim on the valve then put the bucket on top? Or do it my way? Your way sends the shims down the area you want to stay clear of. Shim in retainer first.
3. If I am doing it right? What might be causing these 3 to slip off. Luck. You better make sure all buckets have the same height. One too high >>> It's out of the retainer. You'll bend a valve for sure plus no compression to begin with.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don't have the handy magnetic tool - yet, but a dab of grease on the valve stem will hold the shim in place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts