Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats involved in installing components offered on the GT onto the non-GT?

(I'm deciding between the Tracer 900 and GT. I love the color/livery of the non-GT, but don't like the color/livery of the 2020 GT.)

• TFT dash
    • Plug-and-play?
    • ECU flash to make it work with immobilizer?
  • Cruise control
    • Handlebar switches?
    • Plug-and-play?
    • ECU flash needed to unlock feature?
  • Quickshifter
    • Bolt-on?
    • Plug-and-play?
  • Forks
    • Bolt-on?
    • Same triple clamps, brake calipers, fork bottoms?
  • Shock
    • Bolt-on?
    • Same linkage?
  • Heated grips
    • Handlebar switches?
    • Plug-and-play?
  • Bags
    • May just run aftermarket ones -unless the factory ones really are waterproof?
(I know this isn't cost-effective, but I am an experienced, competent tech.)

I own a '06 Ducati Multistrada 620 (1st gen) and an '12 848 EVO. I'm selling them because the maintenance is becoming hard to get around to with a toddler and another child on the way. I need the Toyota-of-motorcycles if I'm serious about riding all-weather, all-season, all-the-time, everywhere, etc.

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
318 Posts
Maybe cheaper and easier to switch over the color bits from the non-GT onto a GT base bike? Or get the GT and then have it wrapped to colors of your choosing?

I'm interested to see if anyone knows the answer to this - I've had a thought in the back of my mind about getting a wrecked GT and using the parts to build an 'XSR-GT'.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks psycoreefer. I'm less focused on $$$ and more on technical feasability. I really like the color/livery of the non-GT, and new bodywork tends to be really expensive, but your suggestion is definitely worth looking into.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Doing all that on a new bike invalidates your warranty. Changing colours doesn't.
Also, I suspect the price of all those bits would be getting close to another new bike.

·
Registered
843 Posts
experienced, competent tech, WTF is that ? Yamaha trained? Attended Harley U? Built race bikes in the 70's with Kevin Cameron? They are the same bike with different options. We got the interweb do some homework and , Get a grip, buy a GT and paint it the orange is a much better colour, or just buy a FJR, the Toyota of all motorcycles and ride, like I did, Good luck!

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
318 Posts
I'm sure it is possible given enough time and money, like you listed...you'll need to buy ecu, controls, grips, forks, shock, bags. I do not think you can unlock those features in the non-gt ecu...I haven't heard or seen anything like that.

Look up the cost of the oe plastics, I was surprised that the were pretty cheap, especially compared to the cost of the ecu and guage cluster. It will be way less work and money to change the color of the gt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree 100 percent on buying the GT and changing out the colors.. you could pick any color you wanted and have a sweet sweet bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts