Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. I already dropped in the cartridges into my tubes, and filled them with oil to the proper level and burped them.
I turned the compression and rebound setting on both caps all the way counterclockwise and then four full turns clockwise.
I'm screwing the caps in and the instructions say to screw by hand until "it bottoms out."
I assume this should happen before it makes it all the way down to the damper rod nut.
I don't feel a hard bottom out, I feel more of a soft bottom out. It just gets ever so slightly harder to turn somewhere where I think the adjusted would meet the inner rod, is this what it's meant?
However I can keep turning the cap, although with a bit more pressure, all the way down to the damper rod nut.
But I think this isn't right.
So what I did is measure the inside of the cap, then figured out where to screw the cap to.

My question is, do I just screw the cap until I feel the soft "bottom out"?
Is the method where I measure things legit?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
My instructions say to back off the preload and damper adjustment. Then wind on 4 turns of preload and fit the cap to the damper rod.
To be safe, I counted the turns of the fork cap until it came off the threads on the rod. It was 13 turns.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My instructions say to back off the preload and damper adjustment. Then wind on 4 turns of preload and fit the cap to the damper rod.
To be safe, I counted the turns of the fork cap until it came off the threads on the rod. It was 13 turns.
back off the preload 4 turns? really? most instructions I've found have mentioned nothing on preload.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I've just checked again, I got that wrong. I read the Italenglish wrongly.

Back off the damping adjuster fully, then wind on 4 turns and then screw down the cap onto the damper rod until it stops. Do not use force

1 - 4 of 4 Posts