Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I did a lot of fun stuff...

Installed the Akrapovic titanium exhaust (after taking out the baffle), installed the Graves block-off plates (much more difficult than I expected, but great fit and finish), and a Power Commander V (PCV) which I first loaded with the "Akrapovic without Baffle and stock Air Filter" map.

Had a lot of fun taking the bike apart.

However, although I followed the PCV directions to a T, and everything seemed to go well, once everything was all buttoned up and I turned the key to "ON" I heard a small "pop" or "snap" from under the seat - the lights all came on but the instruments and ECU did not power. :sad5: There's no lights glowing on the PCV, either.

Any thoughts?

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Black = Ground & Red = Positive!

The PCV won't turn on until you start thr engine since it juice up on the injectors. Then the crank sensor, TPS and one ground on the battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Got a really fast reply from tech support (Chris), said to check the fuses (no idea where those are? tips?), check all connections, and look for any pinched or burned wires. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me tonight. Hope nothing burned up...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, I have to imagine the sound of that pop had to be like a shot to your gut. Fuses are located under the seat and towards the rear of the subframe behind the battery (at least the only ones I have seen are located there). Hope it's an easy fix for you, let us know how it goes.

Reactions: MrJD410 and caffine

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
There are fuses behind the throttle side fake air intake as well as under the seat as was mentioned. I would assume if the pop was heard under the seat those are the fuses I'd start with, that and I think the air intake ones are mainly smaller accessory fuses.

Reactions: caffine

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
You blew a fuse for sure...double check all your wires....you have something pinched or hooked up wrong.

Reactions: caffine

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found part of the problem. The ignition fuse is a 15A fuse under the scoop on the throttle side (thanks Harry). It's blown. Found a spare 15A in the block by the battery.

Blue Finger Hand Electronic device Plastic

Now to hunt down the reason for the blown fuse...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found it! Went through about 4 fuses. Disconnected one thing at a time, last thing I tried was the O2 Optimizer, and the fuse didn't pop. Found a smashed wire, fixed it, put it back together, and all better. Bike sounds nasty - love it. And so much smoother. Video soon - after I break it in a bit more! Thanks again for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
877 Posts
Found it! Went through about 4 fuses. Disconnected one thing at a time, last thing I tried was the O2 Optimizer, and the fuse didn't pop. Found a smashed wire, fixed it, put it back together, and all better. Bike sounds nasty - love it. And so much smoother. Video soon - after I break it in a bit more! Thanks again for the help!

Any idea how the wire got crushed ?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Excluding the wire problem, how hard was it to download the map to the PCV and hook it up to the bike? I'm looking at buying one. I just need a map for my two bros exhaust. I'm not looking to mess with all the settings it offers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any idea how the wire got crushed ?
I'm 99% sure it was crushed by a bracket right nearby. I had loosened it to route the wires better, so when I tightened it back down I think it got trapped...

Excluding the wire problem, how hard was it to download the map to the PCV and hook it up to the bike? I'm looking at buying one. I just need a map for my two bros exhaust. I'm not looking to mess with all the settings it offers.
Downloading the map was really simple - just a matter of installing a program, connecting the PCV via USB cable, downloading the map from their site, selecting it and hitting "send." It's a PC program and I'm a Mac user so I had to dust off my old Thinkpad - that was the hardest part.

Installing it was a bit trickier than I expected. The box says "easy to install" and I don't know if I'd call it easy. The instructions are good but printed in black&white, so I went on the website a few times to see the color pictures which helped. You might want to check out the instructions online now and get an idea of the effort. http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/22-058/install/pcv/eng22-058.01.pdf

Installing the 2nd time was a lot easier because I knew where everything was. Overall I'm glad I did it myself. And I highly recommend the Graves block-off plates if you're doing this anyway, they look great and if you have it all apart anyway might as well. In fact, the Graves instructions were much more clear on getting the bike apart, very step-by-step. Where the PCV instructions would just say "remove the tank," the Graves broke it down. I don't think I would have done it right without. My only tip on that if you do it is to remove both the radiator mounting bolts so you can tilt it forward. The instructions suggest removing one side, but if you remove both you can give yourself a lot of room up there which helped.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts