Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the McCruise cruise control system and wanted to offer up any insight to anyone that may have questions about it. The instructions are the best I have ever seen and the install went smooth. Total time was just under 2 hours to install and set up. I honestly thought it would have taken much longer and was surprised at how quickly I was done. I did the setup/diagnostics as the manual stated and everything passed.

I took it out for a short test ride, due to the cold weather, and everything worked as it should. It is smooth as can be at higher speeds on the highway and rural roads. At lower in town speeds with the RPMs up it surges a bit, but I really attribute that to the motor on this bike being so torquey. If I put it in a higher gear to bring the rpms down it does smooth out at the lower speeds. I ran the TPS calibration and throttle free-play setup and both are set up correctly. I may email the company and see if this is normal with this bike.

Other than that I have to get used to tapping the brake to shut it off. I am so used to the Harley where you twist the throttle forward to disengage the cruise I was constantly trying to do that. lol

The kit cost me $500 U.S. dollars shipped to my door. 1/2 what my exhaust cost and I know I will use it every time I ride and it will make my bike that much more enjoyable for me. Like I said if anyone has any questions about it ask away and I will try to give you the best answer I can.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's a cool addition. I have been on a good few bikes with cruise control and it utterly transforms the experience on long journeys. Good for shorter journeys too where you really need to keep to the speed limit.

I guess the cost is a bit of a kicker but certainly worth it to professional riders such as couriers, and also commuters.

My question is, if you set it to, say 70 mph, will it not change gear on hills, up or down, to keep it at 70 mph or is it more a case of just holding the throttle open at a set point? i.e. if you dropped down two gears what would happen?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you set it at 70 mph it will manipulate the throttle to maintain 70 mph going up or down a hill. If you change gears it will shut off the cruise and you will have to resume or set the cruise again for that gear. It is the same as a manual transmission car.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yeah i'm just curious to see if it is very noticeable once installed or not. Can't imagine it is, but that booger looked a little bulky in their site pic.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is definitely there. But it is black and blends in with the hand controls. Not my preferred 'Clean' look, but a necessary evil for me as I am a certified cruise control junkie. Doesn't matter if I'm in a car or on my bike I use cruise control on the highway, rural roads and even in town. To quote Dr. Seuss I would use it in a box, I would use it with a fox, I would use it here and there, I would use it everywhere. ;-) I will try to get a photo of the hand controls and the control module under the seat tonight.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think it's possible to get a Super Tenere left switch assembly and integrate it into that as it has CC built in. At least that is what there site mentions.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, their site does talk about an integrated switch assembly. If I recall it was from a different bike and it cost more money. I am fine with what the switch it comes with. I have seen plenty more gaudy items hanging off of peoples bike handlebars. ;-)

·
Registered
967 Posts
Damn, that doesn't look bad at all IMO. Build quality and everything pretty solid? No fears of water ingress?

There are few boxes the FZ doesn't tick for me and electronic goodies is one of them. This has been added to the list of future possibilities!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sent an email to McCruise explaining the surging I was experiencing at low speeds and Tony from McCruise, based out of Australia, called me tonight about the surging. Walked me through how to adjust the gain and acceleration spread which should smooth out the surging. Of course it is raining here today and supposed to for the next few days. Hoping to get out this weekend and try to test and tune the cruise to get it fine tuned for my liking. I have to say I am quite impressed with their customer service right now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went for a ride today and adjusted the settings for the cruise and I am very happy with it now. I just had to turn down the aggressiveness of the cruise wanting to adjust the throttle.
Had a very enjoyable ride and really enjoy having the cruise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you for this review! Because of this I ordered the mccruise kit for my wife's mt09 for a Christmas present. I just finished installing it and going for a test ride, this is sweet! The only complaint is you can't shut it off by rolling the throttle closed like on my fz10. But that's a small not pick as this setup is sweet!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts