Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey it's me again!

I finally received my M4 slip on after waiting for a month. I guess Ontario is pretty far from LA California!

Anywho, I installed the slip on and wow does it ever sound nice. Way better live than on camera I can tell ya.

I have a small concern. Everything goes super well at low rpm, but as soon as it gets in higher RPM and I let go the throttle, it's making a popping sound.

So this is the question I wanted to ask to all of the fz09 experts on here. Is there a way to get rid of ALL the popping ? I find it very annoying because I know the engine is not getting the proper fuel/air ratio. There's a dyno guy coming in town next weekend. Maybe I could ask him to try and fix it for me?
If not, I was thinking about going with the EJK controller?

Keep in mind I live in Kanada.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just went for a quick test ride while riding to work and if I keep the bike under 4000 rpm, everything is fine.

I've heard about the block off plates but I'm not sure about them being right for the bike.

Other then taking away the popping sound, does it actually make a better mix with the fuel/air ratio?

Let a brother know. If so, it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for...

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Doesn't do anything to the AFR, just annoying. You can cap off the hose on the LH side of the airbox. Does the same thing, just not as pretty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't do anything to the AFR, just annoying. You can cap off the hose on the LH side of the airbox. Does the same thing, just not as pretty.
So you are telling me the EJK controller doesn't fix any popping at all and I should buy block off plates? Also, is it easy to cap off the hose on the LH side of the airbox manually?

I would sure be willing to do it by myself event though it aint pretty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You're getting the "popping" because you have released some back pressure from the exhaust system by getting a new muffler that has less baffles. This sound is normal for performance exhaust systems. Get used to it as it is a sweet sound.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
So you are telling me the EJK controller doesn't fix any popping at all and I should buy block off plates? Also, is it easy to cap off the hose on the LH side of the airbox manually?

I would sure be willing to do it by myself event though it aint pretty.
The EJK will tune the off throttle and smooth things out but the popping comes from the AIS system dumping fresh air in the exhaust to burn the unburned fuel. All you need to do is disconnect the hose on the LH side, use anything that you have that can block the hose (solid plug...) and plug it back to the airbox. Its not that it will look ugly, it actually look stock. Just that the BOP look cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're getting the "popping" because you have released some back pressure from the exhaust system by getting a new muffler that has less baffles. This sound is normal for performance exhaust systems. Get used to it as it is a sweet sound.
Buddy, this is not my first bike. I've had several bikes that I did modify in the past and none of them do a popping sound after they were perfectly adjusted. They all had carbs, no EFI system. This popping sound makes the bike sound like garbage.

I am disagreeing with you on how the popping noise makes a sweet sound. It makes the bike sound like garbage. So I won't get used to it and I will do something about it as a Professional.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The FlashTune ECU flash will electronically disable the AIS - which will get rid of the popping, similar to the block off plates.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The EJK will tune the off throttle and smooth things out but the popping comes from the AIS system dumping fresh air in the exhaust to burn the unburned fuel. All you need to do is disconnect the hose on the LH side, use anything that you have that can block the hose (solid plug...) and plug it back to the airbox. Its not that it will look ugly, it actually look stock. Just that the BOP look cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
I do believe this man hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I got a vacuum cap meant to fit over 3/8". You can get them in help section at Auto Zone. Most auto parts places will have them. about 3 bucks.
Pushed it in with a 1/4" nut driver just far enough so I could hook the air hose back to the air box. snug fit, definitely make a difference.

Reactions: marthy and Niner

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a lot Marthy. It was a great advice for free. I didn't though it was going to work but you are right :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts