Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the state of New York, the inspection sticker for motorcycles is supposed to be on the front left part of the bike:

"ALL MOTORCYCLES REGISTERED IN NEW YORK STATE must be inspected and display an inspection sticker on the left front side of the motorcycle attached to a structural member. Bolt on plates may be used."

Source: Required Motorcycle Equipment - Text Only

This has led to the dealer having stuck the sticker on the left fork leg and it looks really ugly there and has been bothering me since day 1. If I take it out of there, where can I even put it? Any suggestions? I thought about inside the steering/air scoop area. Would that be legally valid? it is, sort of, in the front...where have you guys placed this?

·
Registered
155 Posts
You guys have to inspect new vehicles? A new car here is exempt from inspections for two years or 50k miles and 1 year or 25k miles for bikes. Its weird that a BRAND NEW vehicle even needs to be inspected.

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
That sucks. No inspections anymore for any bike in Nj.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
It must be nice. Here in the Old Dominion they squeeze us for every drop they can get. I think bikes are $12 and auto's are $16 per year.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it sucks. It has to be done every year. Plus, in NY all registrations have to be renewed in April, irrespective of when the bike was bought!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I stick my inspection sticker up the state of NY's ass, I never get my bikes inspected. It's a joke the inspector checks the brake lights and the tail light/ headlight.
Until the State keeps me from being able to renew my registration, no inspections!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Pa. Has them on the same place I know it sucks. But if you remove them yourself they become invalid. Don't ask how I know. I've never taken off a motorcycle sticker but the car stickers come off with a heat gun quite nice. But they don't stick as good after that. Don't ask how I know.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
terrible...

·
Registered
806 Posts
I would call a inspection mechanic and see what he says.
He may only charge you the cost of the sticker.

I've seen Harleys that have small plate mounted by the brake for the sticker to that's legal.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I fabbed a bracket and mounted it to the left side, attaching it to the radiator. I posted it in Jan '14, but I'm terrible at retrieving info.
FZ09 004.jpg

·
Registered
610 Posts
Surprisingly in MA they only require a sticker on the license plate...so nothing touches the bike itself :cool:[/QUO

Now that sounds like a good place to put it. Or just move to a state that does not do inspections, problem solved.

Reactions: ben58

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
anodizing

Pa. Has them on the same place I know it sucks. But if you remove them yourself they become invalid. Don't ask how I know. I've never taken off a motorcycle sticker but the car stickers come off with a heat gun quite nice. But they don't stick as good after that. Don't ask how I know.
Will removing the sticker with a heat gun or gasoline ruin the anodizing on the fork?

I know that's where there going to put the inspection sticker on the fork, but next time I would like to have it on a plate, somewhere less noticeable.

the last time I got my dual sport inspected, I neglected to ask them to put it on the inspection plate, so they put the inspection sticker on the fork. geesh.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
that's what I was thinking,

there is a bracket that you can install below the license plate, for the inspection sticker, barley noticeable. made by "Chris Products Inspection Sticker Plate"

then there is the kind that install over the fork with hardware. anyone know what size the fork is in millimeters?

the only reason I ask, is because of the scraping or removal of the sticker next year, rather have the sticker on a inspection tag somewhere.

·
Registered
144 Posts
$18 a year in Louisiana. Our inspection sticker isn't mounted on the bike. Most cops don't realize bikes need them. Lol.

·
Registered
616 Posts
do you have a link to the thread?

did you do a write up on the materials you used?
No, I didn't post anything other than the finished. It's .063" T-3 aluminum. It was bent perpendicular to the grain using a bend radius that doesn't cause undue stress in the part, probably .250". The mounting hole was then added .198", and then edge distance around the hole was marked (.375"), and the excess was cut off. Smoothing all the edges, debur the hole, alodine (if you have it), prime and paint.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't understand the rationale behind having it mounted on the side of the bike. From an enforcement point of view wouldn't it be easier for a cop to just follow you and see the sticker on the plate like most states. With it on the side (especially the left side) it seems like it would be harder to spot people with expired stickers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts