Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I have been browsing through the forum here and there for the past couple of months as I have researched the FZ-09. I'm in the market for a new bike and would like some input from you all.

I'm 24 years old and started riding and racing dirt bikes at age 11. I am very experienced rider on the dirt. I rode up until a few years ago when I had a major accident that prevented me from riding for over a year. After I recovered from the accident I was trying to finish college and was not financially able to get back into riding. After college however I was in a much better place financially and wanted to start riding again. I had never owned a street bike or ridden one but I decided that riding on the street would be the best option for me because I would get to ride a lot more often. 6 months ago a bought a CRF250L dual sport. I thought it would be the perfect bike. I could ride it to the trails and from what I have read online it would be a good starter bike for the street. Within my first 10 minutes on the bike after purchasing it I didn't like it at all. It doesn't have the feel, handling, or power that I was used to from my previous race bikes on the dirt and it's an even worse street bike. I have about 5000 miles on it now and I want to upgrade to something with more power. I want a real street bike.

I decided to take my time with my next purchase and get the right bike this time. I keep coming back to the FZ's. I rode a used FZ-07 and really liked it. I'm looking for a used FZ-09 that i can ride and try out before I make any purchases. I think if I get the FZ-07 I will wish in a short time that I had just gotten the FZ-09. I understand that any bike I get will have pros and cons and I'm willing to address those (aka suspension troubles).

What do you all recommend?
What other bikes besides those should I look into?

-Kawi9

·
Vendor
1,510 Posts
I think the fz's are a good choice.

ANy bike can hurt you if you dont respect it. I have not ridden an fz07 to give a comparison but I think the fz09 is a great bike you can have fun on for years to come. I am 43, have been riding since I was about 10, used to race, and own an r1 and I love the 09. I would just hesitate to say if you dont have ALOT of self control the 09 will hurt you. Especially with the stock suspension, saying that im sure the 07 is plenty fast to hurt you also. Either FZ is a way better choice for a young rider then any new sportbike.

As far as other bikes the sv650 or whatever they call it now and the 650 ninja, come to mind. I personnaly think either fz is way cooler then both of those bikes.

good luck and keep us posted and please keep your head on tight!! I dont want to read an I dropped my bike post from you!!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Find a '09 you can buy and stay in "B" mode (65hp) for ur first month or two, and "B" Careful on the Street! Sounds like you'll outgrow Anything else quickly. The three "modes" of the FZ essentially provide three bikes in One.:cool:

Don't ever forget, ATGATT

Good Luck:)

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
FZ07 is a great ride if you don't need a powerhouse. Does everything it should and the even if the suspension is a bit soft, it suite the bike/hp just fine. (Im 190lbs in gear)

The FZ09 is an another animal but coming from dirt bike... you will love it if you can control yourself LOL

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
This question again lol? The whole "not a beginner bike" thing is quite entertaining.... Like stated above, any bike can hurt you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MoFZio and Steve101

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Find a '09 you can buy and stay in "B" mode (65hp) for ur first month or two, and "B" Careful on the Street! Sounds like you'll outgrow Anything else quickly. The three "modes" of the FZ essentially provide three bikes in One.:cool:

Don't ever forget, ATGATT

Good Luck:)
+1, just a couple things worth adding. If you haven't already, you might want to consider taking a good motorcycle "defensive" driver training course, for two reasons. 1). It's good to learn early all the tricks to help survive riding the streets. Don't get me wrong, I know how trees and rocks can hurt while flying through the woods on a dirt bike. The only thing is trees and rocks don't have brain dead morons driving them around on the streets. 2). It should help a lot with your insurance cost, being under 25 years old with not a lot of year of street riding, the insurance companies are going to love you.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I too am an old dirt biker and racer.

The FZ09 is like a big powerful dirt bike for the street.

Light, flickable, and lots of fun.

I had a couple of liter bikes prior. They were a lot of fun but I did not need to go 150mph. The FZ09 is major fun from 10 to 90mph.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i forget who posted it previously (i think it was Obijack?), but they talked about a lot of people coming on this forum and looking for a scientific formula as to what bike to get.

Riding is an emotional experience for many of us - unfortunately you often can't test ride bikes so you have to make a "scientific" decision on which to get. Looks like you've already gotten to ride the FZ07 so at least you have a benchmark comparison.

the 07 has less power than the 09 and a slimmer profile - some guys don't want the added HP the 09 provides - i personally like it coming from an SV that had similar power to the FZ07 but that's just my personal choice. Which one do you really like just by looking at it and reading about it?

I had the same issue as you but made out ok given the SV650 i bought as a first bike was cheap - i spent 3,200 on mine - road it for a year then sold it for the FZ - i lost 200 bucks on it which in my opinion wasn't that bad of a loss.

Now i have a bike with plenty of power - if i upgrade in the future - it won't be because i need more power than the 09 provides.

With that being said, buying an older used bike vs. a 2014 new bike and expecting you'll make out the same on your loss in depreciation is a pipe dream (just saying this in general and not to insult your intelligence). A lot of guys are posting FZ for sale ads for up to $2k less than what they paid for it and very little mileage on these bikes. The depreciation curve on bikes are steep at first and start to mellow as they get older (they don't depreciate linearly - again probably common sense).

If you ride the 09 and feel like it's too much power for right now - i would say - don't buy the FZ07 - buy something like a used SV650 or similar on the cheap ($4k or less) - ride it for a year, sell it (understanding you'll have a slight loss) and then buy the 09. If you have the cash and don't care about optimizing your dollar buy the FZ07 take a hit on it then buy the 09 but it doesnt sound like that's what you want to do.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
+1, just a couple things worth adding. If you haven't already, you might want to consider taking a good motorcycle "defensive" driver training course, for two reasons. 1). It's good to learn early all the tricks to help survive riding the streets. Don't get me wrong, I know how trees and rocks can hurt while flying through the woods on a dirt bike. The only thing is trees and rocks don't have brain dead morons driving them around on the streets. 2). It should help a lot with your insurance cost, being under 25 years old with not a lot of year of street riding, the insurance companies are going to love you.
+1000
To take this One Step further, look on Amazon for a Book which will detail many of the things to be aware of when riding on the Street. There's a lot to learn while making the transformation from Off-Road to "Street," and a $20 +\- purchase of a Book or two won't break the bank, but might save your ass.:)
To take this

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm going to the motorcycle show to look into the fz3 as a secondary ride. The fz-09 is probably going to be kept forever and I want it to last. I am really big so I won't sit well on the fz3 but there might be some tricks to fit me correctly. I also have a nefew at 14 that will be 16 someday. I did the compare motorcycles on the Yamaha website and the sizes weren't too different.
Fz-09 a forever keeper.
Fz3 winter salt , spring rain , take to work , leave about bike.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'm going to the motorcycle show to look into the fz3 as a secondary ride. The fz-09 is probably going to be kept forever and I want it to last. I am really big so I won't sit well on the fz3 but there might be some tricks to fit me correctly. I also have a nefew at 14 that will be 16 someday. I did the compare motorcycles on the Yamaha website and the sizes weren't too different.
Fz-09 a forever keeper.
Fz3 winter salt , spring rain , take to work , leave about bike.
Are you referring to the new 2015 R3....???

Have you seen the new 2015 RC390.....???

I'm looking forward to comparative reviews.

·
Registered
343 Posts
B with Angel GT was a great ride in the rain. I got caught in rain many times. It was a surprise that B mode worked , I expected something like the dry experience but it was not .

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Former motocrosser here. Get the FZ-09, ride it in STD or A mode. B mode is a complete waste unless it is raining. My first street bike was a rabid 350cc two-stroke. I could more than handle it with a motocross racing background. I had a WR250R dual-sport, and, like you, I felt that it was a turd off-road.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
B mode is approx 100HP MAX. A mode 110HP MAX.

B mode also has less throttle gain, so it doesn't reach 100% with such a small turn of the wrist.

It's mainly for girls ��
...and ideal for Men who are much less experienced on two wheels than the average Joe on this forum.:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts