Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Agreed! Very useful to anyone considering a first bike-should be a mandatory read before anyone decides to pull the trigger on something with so much potential for mayhem and injury. I wonder how many newbs' would read that and think 'yeah but that's the other guy, that'll never happen to me'? Nice post...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Its a proven fact that people will buy what ever they want no matter what people recommend.

Its like buying a sports car to them; why buy a mustang with a six cylinder when theres one with a V-8.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Damn.....That is NOT considered Full Gear!

But if you own a Red FZ you'll wiz by so fast no one will notice "you..."

Reactions: Da Braddah

·
Registered
44 Posts
Before I bought my FZ, a buddy and I were at the local Yamaha dealer, drooling on a brand new R1. Was told by sales that it was sold. A mother bought it for her teenage son....his first bike ever!
We looked at each other and commented how he was a dead man. Especially in a crowded metropolis such as Sacramento.
In a perfect world, everyone should start out on dirt bikes for a few years.

·
Registered
186 Posts
In a perfect world? Don't know about that but 'back in the day' we started out on Harley Hummers & Rapido's, Honda S90's, Yam 80's, Bridgestone 90's (fast little buggers) etc. and graduated up to TwinJet 100's, CB160-250 & 305's, YDS 250-and up then came the X6-Hustler, Bridgestone 350's and the like, followed by (literally) Triumphs 650's, Nortons, Sportsters (all used, couldn't aford new) and finally CB750, T150's, Kawi 500 and then Z1's but by that time we had a lot of experience on the road (and dirt, cuz they all got to go off pavement at one time or another) and were less likely to kill ourselves on the 'BIG' bikes. We all rode little bikes to school, chased each other night and day and learned stuff. Just like in MotoGp, start them on the little bikes and work their way up. What happened to that mentality or is just that kids now just have more money and indulgent parents and can afford to start Big? In those olden days we couldn't afford these big fast bikes, we had to earn the money ourselves and do our own maintenance. If I had an FZ-09 when I was growing into bikes, I wouldn't be here now nor would most of my buddies, we were young and stupid and luckily on little bikes that when pushed could hit 60 ish mph so drafting was imperative but oh so much fun.

A close analogy(?) in aviation is how most new pilots start off in 'little' simple trainers (affordable, slow) and with time and experience work their way up to bigger,faster and more complex aircraft. The ones that could afford to jump right into the 'BIG' fast, complex aircraft were doctors and lawyers and were often the ones we scraped off the ground. I worked for a crash retrieval company in the LA basin (late '70's) and the favorite upgrade for new doctor/lawyer pilots was the V tail Beech Bonanza (expensive, fast & complex) which quickly became known as the 'Fork-tailed doctor killer.' More machine then experience in any endeavor is just foolish. I miss all those little bikes, seemed like they were everywhere...enough already...Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts