Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FZ lives in my garage.. But occasionally I'd like to ride it to work, where it would be left out to the elements. So I was thinking on buying a bike cover, just to keep the sun off it, and well what other crap the elements have to offer.

I'd probably only ride one day every couple of weeks, so only need something inexpensive... Amazon has an XL going for $18... and a L going for $35... guessing XL is probably a little too big. But I'm being a cheap bastard ! and would prefer the L, for $18...

Has anyone bought a bike cover on Amazon for their FZ's ? which one did you get and was it a good fit ?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
They also make those UV half covers, what might be easier to pack???

Cover Max Motorcycle Half Cover - RevZilla

I ended up getting a Nelson Rigg dust cover to store the bikes in the garage over the winter. I should have gotten and XL size as the L isn't big enough to fit the 09. Luckily it fit over the DR650SE enough to work, so I didn't return it. It was only $25 for the dust cover, so the price was ok.

But their sizing chart is a bit out to lunch.

Nelson-Rigg | Covers : Dust Cover

The only issue I have heard of with motorcycle covers and using them in a parking lot, is the wind. If it gets windy enough the cover can act like a sail and result in your bike getting knocked over by the wind, laying on it's side.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Since you are just using it when you ride to work you will want something that packs down to a relatively small size. Don't forget to secure the cover to your bike so it doesn't blow away in a wind or balloon up like a parachute and allow the wind to pull your bike over on its side.

Dowco is a decent brand name for basic, generic covers.

Here is one that is snug and small and covers the bike for the day at the office:
http://www.amazon.com/Dowco-26015-0...4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1427998637&sr=1-54

I used to have one that was very small and snug and covered the headlight, handlebars and stretched over the rear of the bike and about 1/2 way down the sides but it was made of a stretchy material. It really only kept the sun off of it and when I lived in Southern California that can be a very big deal.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'll just leave the cover at work... I'll also park the bike around the back of the building, so it'll have some shelter from the wind.. But i'll always check the weather before riding anyway. Don't do rain !

But will be putting it on, while exhaust may be hot !

I'll stretch out to $40... but the $70 one on post # 2 is too expensive.. This is only to be used a couple of times a month, and only during the day.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'll just leave the cover at work... I'll also park the bike around the back of the building, so it'll have some shelter from the wind.. But i'll always check the weather before riding anyway. Don't do rain !

But will be putting it on, while exhaust may be hot !

I'll stretch out to $40... but the $70 one on post # 2 is too expensive.. This is only to be used a couple of times a month, and only during the day.
The half cover as another member suggested would be fine - i just park mine under a tree at work - (i typically don't ride in the rain if i can avoid it as well) - i don't have any fading on my seat or anything as of a year and a half in.

Going with a cheap full cover and putting it over a hot bike will likely cause some holes to form if there is no reinforced material by your exhaust etc - these holes will expand with wind. $40 turns into $80 quick in that scenario but again - half cover would likely do what you need.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'd like to find one of those stretchable sun proction type covers.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Just received two Formosa covers in the mail for the FZ and Super Tenere Tuesday. They are sturdily constructed (like a Dowco, etc...) But, half the price: $34.99 each + shipping.
My girlfriend's had one for her V-Star 950 since 11/13 and even sitting outside in Georgia sunlight year-round, it has held up well. It's faded to nearly silver from black. But, the fabric remains strong.
The size Large fits the FZ snugly and came with a coated cable and simple brass padlock. too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0022ZN6WU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

my bike lives outside in the summer unfortunately - this cover is top notch and not too expensive. It's worth a little extra money to have something that won't scratch your bike or let in moisture/condensation when it's outside & won't rip if something more than a mouse fart comes at it.

I forced me dealer to give me this cover for free when I bought my fz. The power of cash!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts