Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It hurts my heart to start this thread. On Monday night, on my way home from a buddy's house, I was just about 2 miles from the house when a young lady in a Jaguar decided to pull out in front of me. There was nothing that I could do about it, and I had to lay the Scout down. I suppose that makes me the first one. Horray.

The basics are as follows: I was traveling westbound on a 4 lane separated by a median. I was in the inner, left lane when I saw a white Jaguar positioned to turn left and travel in the opposite direction that I was traveling. The Jag was rolling a bit, so I kept my eyes on it. It then hesitated, that made me think "Okay, she saw me and is going to stop." I could not have been more wrong. She decided to pull out and there was nothing that I could do except lock up the brakes and lay the bike down.

I separated from the bike and managed to break three bones in my left foot.

This is the time that I would like to issue my thanks to the manufacturers of the gear that I was wearing. Due to the fact that I was wearing all of my gear, the extent of my injuries stopped at the few bones in my foot.

These jeans are from a little company called Maple Motorcycle Jeans. They are made of heavy selvage denim and the knees, buttocks, and hips are reinforced with kevlar. There are places to put armor in the knees and hips as well. These jeans do not look like moto jeans. They have a very good style about them and you can wear them to dinner on a Friday night just as easily as you could wear them on a ride on Saturday afternoon. The ones that I was wearing were a slim fit limited edition black pair that are in their 1979 style. These jeans saved all of the skin (minus a small raspberry) on my left knee. Had I been wearing Levi's, or some other denim, I would be in a world of rad rash. Every single dime that I spent on them was 100% worth it as I sit on the other side of a motorcycle accident.

These are the boots that saved my feet from worse damage than just a few fractures. They are from a little company called Thursday Boot Company. This little boutique boot maker provided the boots that saved my feet from being chewed up by the asphalt. Had I not decided to pick these boots up this last month, I would have likely been wearing the Van's that I usually wear while riding. I am so incredibly blessed that I was wearing these instead. My feet would have been chewed up and spit out the other side had I not. The heavy leather upper saved the skin on my feet. Unfortunately they do not have a metal shank that might have saved the bones in my feet, but they did the best that they could, that is for sure.

My hands did not make much contact with the ground, but my thumb nail on my right hand was pulled back just a hair to make it bleed. Had I not been wearing these gloves, I can imagine that my nail would be on the street. There is a small abrasion on the back of the gloves as well, so I assume that I would have a bit of road rash there as well.

This jacket saved my shoulder from serious injury as well. It is a jacket from the McQueen line from Triumph from a few years ago. I made contact with the ground on my left shoulder, square on the shoulder armor that is built in to the jacket. The skin and probably some structural damage to my left shoulder was saved due to this jacket.

This Bell Bullitt saved my life. I know that this is only a few small scratches on the shield and that the shield has one small crack, but had I not been wearing it, the smallest of impacts could have landed me in a bed, drinking all of my meals out of a tube for the rest of my life. It could have also just put me out of the game entirely.

My message to each and every one of you is this. All of The Gear All of The Time is a truth. I was 2 minutes from my house when someone made a decision that changed the direction of my night and coming weeks entirely. Had I not been wearing any of my gear, it would have been so much worse. As you can see, literally everything that I had on in the way of protection was touched in this accident.

This whole thing is going to get interesting because the girl was not supposed to be operating the Jaguar. I just got off the phone with her insurance company and they have denied my claim stating that she was an "excluded driver." My only recourse is to seek out a civil suit to make myself whole. Does anyone know a good lawyer?

If you want to see larger images, check it out here: Indian Scout: W.I.A. | Indian Motorcycle Forum

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Nick, that's horrible-sorry to hear about this and glad to hear you are not more damaged than a few small broken bones! This will, most likely, re-ignite the ATTGAT debate here on the forum, but there's no question that you would have been much, much worse off without the gear. Hopefully this will silence the critics and give people a better appreciation for always wearing as much gear as you can for any particular ride. Two miles from home no one expects to be in an accident like this, and it just goes to show that one should always be prepared and that you can't predict the unpredictable when riding a bike. Heal quickly, sir...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Sorry for the bad luck. Sounds like you made it out ok. Looks like those work gloves held up to the asphalt pretty well. Get you some real motorcycle gloves and boots man!

As for a lawyer, where are you located?

Also, how bad is the damage to the Indian?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Very sorry to see this, but they call it good Karma -- you were "saved" by your gear, and we are all thrilled to see you weren't seriously injured. See your doctor (Orthopedist) and heal up fast.

Your attorney contacting the insurance company will be a Game Changer. Good Luck with everything.

Steve101

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Dammit Nick, I HATE to hear of this. You are very fortunate to have been wearing some decent protective gear and there is absolutely ZERO doubt in my mind that you would be much worse for the wear without it. Glad to see you on here posting about it instead of hearing that your are in a hospital somewhere with serious or life threatening injuries. I have no recommendations for attorneys, but most likely there is info available through some of the forums that you are on or from fellow riders that you know. Hang tough my friend and make sure that you get everything covered in the civil suit.....motorcycle damage/repair, medical bills, loss of work if any, protective clothing......you name it. Good luck and heal up quickly.

Reactions: Steve101 and NickJ

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much Vern! I agree, it could have been so much worse and I was incredibly blessed that it wasn't. I am here and breathing with my foot up in the air. I don't think that it gets much better than that after a motorcycle accident.

I will be back in no time. :) Again, I am lucky because I don't have to dig ditches, or run food for a living any longer.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Digging ditches while riding a motorcycle is impossible.:cool:

Reactions: NickJ

·
Registered
377 Posts
Bummer man!
There's two types of riders out there,
Those who have, and those who will.
at least you're on the 'those who will' side again, so (hopefully) it'll be a while...

how's the bike?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
This whole thing is going to get interesting because the girl was not supposed to be operating the Jaguar. I just got off the phone with her insurance company and they have denied my claim stating that she was an "excluded driver." My only recourse is to seek out a civil suit to make myself whole. Does anyone know a good lawyer?
So this means one of two options :

1). Mommy and Daddy were to cheap to add her to the insurance policy, but they still let her drive the car. Mom and Dad are therefore at fault for letting her take the car and they should get charged for insurance fraud.

Or

2). She was not supposed to drive the car, so she took it without permission and therefore she should be charged with auto theft and arrested.

Maybe Mom and Dad need to see these two options, so they can pick to settle up for their lack of proper insurance, or send their daughter to jail.

If something like that happened here, their insurance company would cover the accident, then send them the bill for the expenses. Then they would hike their insurance policy, and the little incident would go on their insurance record. Which would haunt them for many years to come. Or my insurance company would sue her and/or her parents for all the expenses, and they would still have it all put on their insurance record.

I hope you can find a good lawyer to go after them and get all this taken care of right away.

I am glad to hear you are ok and didn't get really badly hurt.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident Nick, good thing you got by with just a banged up foot... could have been much worse...

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
It might be worthwhile to go after the registered owner, and if that's Mom n Dad and she's a minor, then they're on the hook for the damages...

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It might be worthwhile to go after the registered owner, and if that's Mom n Dad and she's a minor, then they're on the hook for the damages...
+1 I am not sure about the laws elsewhere, but here the registered owner is responsible for there vehicle and who ever they lend it too. So even if it was the boyfriend, or just a friend, it would be their responsibility if they lent the car to her.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys! Many of you are echoing the thoughts of liability that are whirling around in my head, so that is a relief.

My insurance is going to take care of my moto minus the deductible, so I am just out the medical expenses right now. It is frustrating but it is just a whole lesson to be learned, and if I can teach anyone by sharing my experience here, I am happy to do it!

Thanks for the good vibes and the advice!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Thanks guys! Many of you are echoing the thoughts of liability that are whirling around in my head, so that is a relief.

My insurance is going to take care of my moto minus the deductible, so I am just out the medical expenses right now. It is frustrating but it is just a whole lesson to be learned, and if I can teach anyone by sharing my experience here, I am happy to do it!

Thanks for the good vibes and the advice!
It's likely your Insurance costs will go up this year or next because of your claim. In Florida, after making a claim, many other carriers will Not accept you as a new customer if you're looking to make a change in the future. If in fact the accident was the falt of the young girl, she and/or her family should be held accountable IMO. This usually doesn't end once the bike is fixed and your foot heals -- you'll unfortunately be feeling the financial affects of this accident for awhile.:(

Personal Responibility: Often best to learn at a young age -- this girl's # came up last night.:cool:

You have nothing to lose and all to gain by having a qualified PI Attorney fight your battles.:)

Do the right thing - For yourself - and protect your financial wellbeing.:cool:

Reactions: Lateralus
1 - 20 of 27 Posts