Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Any body else think that the new FTR borrows heavily from the old Vic. Project 156? This is the bike I wished that Vic. had made when they announced the Octane and were saying how it was based on the 156.
Notice the shock arrangement, the geometry of the frame spars, and the rear of the frame where the swing arm fits. I know the Vic. frame doesn't have as many vertical spars as the FTR1200, and it isn't as flowing/sculpted looking.
The new FTR is really farther away from the concept version, that was very close to the actual tracker, and went out of their way to make it a sportier more solid road bike (based on the Project 156?).

I cant seem to get the picture as large as I'd like

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,660 Posts
There's certainly something to that. I also was extremely disappointed with the Octane. I really was hoping they were going to combine the geometry of Project 156 with the styling of the Ignition concept to make a real streetfighter that would corner and brake like a sport bike.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Instead, they went all in on Cruiserville and released the Octane. (How'd that work out, by the way?)

So here we are, and the FTR is a pretty worthy entry. I definitely want to test ride one. Will I trade my XSR for one? Not likely at this point, but if Polaris truly wants to expand their market in this direction, they've got my attention!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I like that we have an American motorcycle company that seems to want to be competitive with other marques. I like that Indian isn't being a me too Harley competitor. This bike is different than what I thought they would bring to market, but in a good way. I think it shows that they just might have the inkling that there are other kinds of bikes out there than just cruisers. I hope they sell a ton of them. then decide to go GP racing, ans sell something based off of that. I really want Indian as a company to do well.

Reactions: Moto26

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I stopped by the Indian dealership I sold for a couple years back. A friend who works there said the FTR won't be available until April at the earliest. That's fine in WI, since you won't be able to ride until then anyways. Sounds like they'd cut me a good deal to get me back into the fold. Likely will be a better price than the H-D Streetfighter, scheduled to be released next year too. The FTR just looks more playful..

Attachments

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Giving HD credit here. Their streetfighter definitely broke out of the ugly mold. Makes you wonder if they snatched up some of Eric’s design team.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I can't wait to watch my Polaris stock go up hehe
I went to my local Yamaha dealer yesterday and checked to see if they had any yet but I was told probably not for at least 2 months.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got to see and sit on the FTR1200 at the Meadowlands Flattrack race in NJ yesterday. As an owner of a HD XR1200 and a Yamaha XS650 street tracker, I have to say, I was very dissapointed in the bike. The FTR feels very porkey and the seat and tank are way to wide. Most of the people that were looknig at the bike felt that Indian screwed the pooch, way to far removed from the concept bike. That being said I do like the bike as a streetfighter, the problem is I wanted a streettracker.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sooo.. My 21"/17" spoked/tubed combo is about to become cast/tubeless 19"/17". Sounds like crappy weather next several days starting tomorrow. Might be busy :)
How did that work out?

I have a '16 Xcx as well, absolutely adore the thing but I'll admit I've thought about having a spare set of rims from the Xr depending on where I'm riding... And I would rather plug a puncture than spoon in a new tube.

Does the different rim diameter not screw with the ABS or TC?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
How did that work out?

I have a '16 Xcx as well, absolutely adore the thing but I'll admit I've thought about having a spare set of rims from the Xr depending on where I'm riding... And I would rather plug a puncture than spoon in a new tube.

Does the different rim diameter not screw with the ABS or TC?
I did a ton of research on the 800 Tiger UK forum, where this was done a few times. My front wheel is complete and no ABS/speedo issues. Tire slippage is determined by irregular readings on the tone ring (ie wheels locking from spinning). Traction control at the rear wheel is similar. That said, the cast rear wheel is the same width/diameter as the spoked wheel. I went with a 100/90-19 front wheel and the ride height only decreased by approx .5". I also did this as my 800 will be used a lot for longer distance touring. No more carrying inner tubes. The rear wheel will be done today.

** All Done ... **

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
I got to see and sit on the FTR1200 at the Meadowlands Flattrack race in NJ yesterday. As an owner of a HD XR1200 and a Yamaha XS650 street tracker, I have to say, I was very dissapointed in the bike. The FTR feels very porkey and the seat and tank are way to wide. Most of the people that were looknig at the bike felt that Indian screwed the pooch, way to far removed from the concept bike. That being said I do like the bike as a streetfighter, the problem is I wanted a streettracker.
When I read about people saying this bike was going to be so great, that was my thought...looks like a pig of a bike.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I dig it, think it would be great bike in the stable. It's not a "pig" anymore than the v-max is, it's targeted at a different style of riding.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I dig it, think it would be great bike in the stable. It's not a "pig" anymore than the v-max is, it's targeted at a different style of riding.
I get it...I was thinking V-Max, V-Rod, Diavel. It puts out respectable hp and tq, but at 510 lbs wet it's not going to set any records. I just think it was underhanded to use the FTR moniker as if it was going to be a light, powerful, cornering monster. With the tiny gas tank you really can't do anything but bar hop or go to bike night and show it off...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
What? This thing can't hold a candle to the power of a vmax. If they were trying to be a power cruiser they fell woefully short. Why would they take a flat tracker and aim at the power cruiser market anyway? Face it they took a great prototype bike and watered it down in the hopes that it would apeal to as many people as possible. The problem is when you water something down it loses it's flavor. 500+ lbs with less than 120 hp with that wheel base? Yawn...it's a move in the right direction compared to Harley Davidson, but that's like beating a dyslexic in a spelling bee, not impressive.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Whatever they are doing, it seems to be working. I thought I wanted one and they said 3rd week in February. I called yesterday and they said sometime in April. AND Indian bumped the price up $1500 across the board, no way to avoid it if you buy the bike. Sounds like they know their market and they plan to wring it out completely.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Actually, a $500 price increase for all but the race replica ($1000). They must be getting orders, or else they're shooting themselves in the foot.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts