·
Registered
354 Posts
Meh.

[On the Internet no one knows you're a dog]

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
If Harley could break a couple paradigms, they would follow Indians lead here. Lots of forward thinking stuff from a cruiser manufacturer. Even the suspension is intelligent being close to 6” for a smoother ride. The biggest niggle I see is the 3.2 gallon tank. Fuel ups will be every 100 miles at best. They could easily go another gallon without changing the look.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Drop 50lbs and shorten the wheel base.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Best looking mass-market bike since the MT-09.

Let's see if Americans buy them.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I'll be paying attention to see if any demo days pop up in my area next spring. If they make a 750 version, can make it weigh within spitting distance of 400lbs., and 90-100 hp/60-65ft lbs of torque I might consider it to challenge the FZ07. Right now the KTM 790 has my attention.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Best looking mass-market bike since the MT-09.

Let's see if Americans buy them.
That's a bold statement. I'd have to know your definition of "mass-market" as I've yet to see a company make a better looking bike than MV Augusta or Ducati. I think the original FZ07 looks better than the FZ/MT09 by a far margin.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I'm not sure about the 19"/18" wheels either. Never ridden with that kind of setup, but I would think it would slow down turn in.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The MV Augusta and Ducati sell in small numbers compared to the MT-09 or 07. The 19" front/18" rear is a sop to the Harley crowd.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My 800 Tiger is more/more becoming my touring bike and my H-D FLHT now sits more/more. I can see the FTR as a new 2nd bike next spring. Hmmm...

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
My F700GS has 19” front 18” rear as a conservative ADV. The FTR leans in the direction of an ADV given the longer suspension as well. It wouldn’t surprise me to see someone over on the ADVRider forum show up with one with agressive off road tires. They frequently do that with other highway bikes.

Turn-in on the F700 is great. Both bikes are designed more for highway, but capable of really soaking up the bumps. Exactly what I wanted on mine.

Turn-in becomes a much more noticeable issue when you go to 21” on the front. I believe the new KTM 790 and the Yamaha T7 Adventures will be 21”/18”. Both look to be much more designed for aggressive off road versus highway. KTM makes monster off roaders specifically for that purpose. Their highway version is the 790 Duke which is strictly hard surface. And, of course, Yamaha's is the FZ/MT-07.

So called enduros, like mine (as identified on all the paperwork, including my title and registration) are claimed to be good for highway and off-road. The closest you can realistically get to off-road is gravel.

55 mpg with a range of 200 miles between fill-ups and more than adequate passing power along with a smooth ride and very good cornering fit my needs perfectly.

An FTR 750 with a bigger tank would be a winner. If Indian brings it out in that size, it’s unlikely to be much under 475 lbs though, especially with a 4-5 gallon tank. As sleak as the Ducati Supermotard is, it weighs that much.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My F700GS has 19” front 18” rear as a conservative ADV. The FTR leans in the direction of an ADV given the longer suspension as well. It wouldn’t surprise me to see someone over on the ADVRider forum show up with one with agressive off road tires. They frequently do that with other highway bikes.

Turn-in on the F700 is great. Both bikes are designed more for highway, but capable of really soaking up the bumps. Exactly what I wanted on mine.

Turn-in becomes a much more noticeable issue when you go to 21” on the front. I believe the new KTM 790 and the Yamaha T7 Adventures will be 21”/18”. Both look to be much more designed for aggressive off road versus highway. KTM makes monster off roaders specifically for that purpose. Their highway version is the 790 Duke which is strictly hard surface. And, of course, Yamaha's is the FZ/MT-07.

So called enduros, like mine (as identified on all the paperwork, including my title and registration) are claimed to be good for highway and off-road. The closest you can realistically get to off-road is gravel.

55 mpg with a range of 200 miles between fill-ups and more than adequate passing power along with a smooth ride and very good cornering fit my needs perfectly.

An FTR 750 with a bigger tank would be a winner. If Indian brings it out in that size, it’s unlikely to be much under 475 lbs though, especially with a 4-5 gallon tank. As sleak as the Ducati Supermotard is, it weighs that much.
Sooo.. My 21"/17" spoked/tubed combo is about to become cast/tubeless 19"/17". Sounds like crappy weather next several days starting tomorrow. Might be busy :)

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts
My 800 Tiger is more/more becoming my touring bike and my H-D FLHT now sits more/more. I can see the FTR as a new 2nd bike next spring. Hmmm...
A good plan and similar to my current setup...

Multistrada for long days/trips and a 2016 Hypermotard SP for when I feel like possibly going to jail. :) The FTR is in the same vein, IMO...should be really fun!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts