Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They neglected The Bike of The Year for 2014.

I think they totally screwed up this comparison simply because of the modest price point of the FZ. Am I missing something?

Link to full article below:

(self-delete of full printed version)

·
Registered
555 Posts
A link to the actual article may have been a better layout, thanks for the info though.

I agree......where is the 09? Exceeds the Street Triple IMO.

EDIT: Just realised it was the Speed not Street. My bad.

·
Registered
97 Posts
108hp, half decent brakes and a weak suspension....the FZ09 is a hell of a bargain bike, a nice platform to dump some money in to get a better result, but nowhere near the bikes in that comparison as far as a finished/refined product. Just the horsepower gap alone would keep the FZ09 out of the mix.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sept 2013 CycleNews Reported

"Yamaha claims 115 horsepower at 10,000 rpm with a 12,250 redline from the motor. We won’t argue. The FZ-09 feels very fast when you open it up outside the city. It just keeps building speed as you click through all six gears, and you feel very little vibration along the way. Not only does the FZ-09 deliver 115 horsepower, but the sweet-sounding inline triple is hauling around just 414 pounds (claimed), and that’s with a full tank of fuel."

Including this sweetheart of a value proposition would not have been much of a stretch.:cool:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I test rode the KTM Super Duke last Saturday. I was at the dealership getting a tube put in my wheel when the GM said hey man we got the new Super Dukes in yesterday, two of them, but the orange one already sold. The next words out of his mouth were, "you want to ride it?" He may as well have been asking me if I wanted free money. So I got my wheel back and went home and grabbed my gear. I rode the FZ9 back so I could do a back to back taste test. I'll just say as nice as the Duke was I don't for a minute regret buying the FZ over the Duke. Even if they were closer in price I'd still choose the FZ. The Duke is tall, very tall. I felt like I was sitting up on top of the bike which made it feel a bit top heavy and almost like I was going to fall off when leaned over. The acceleration was strong, but the FZ feels faster, zippier, and much lighter. The KTM took more effort to lean in, but it felt very planted and didn't have the twitchy feeling that the FZ some times has. I ran the bike on sport mode but as hard as I tried I couldn't figure out how to shut off TC and ABS so no wheelies. I also think that's why it didn't feel as strong acceleration wise. It felt like something was holding the bike back under acceleration (duh). The suspension and brakes are fantastic. I've never felt such a great out of the box set up like that WP suspension. Ohlins may have the recognition, but I'd choose the WP over Ohlins. The riding position wasn't as neutral and upright as the FZ, but it was just a slight forward lean and not uncomfortable. I'm short with short arms so for taller riders it would probably be just fine. The seat is sport bike comfortable so not much different than the FZ. I don't know how but the wind protection is surprisingly good for a naked. There was no turbulence and even at 232kph (I couldn't figure out how to put it into mph) it was comfortable. I figure I can put better brakes and suspension on my FZ09 and still be $4000+ less than the KTM and still feel like I have the better (for me) bike. I'm glad I got to ride it because wondering if I made the right purchase was starting to bother me.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great opportunity......Right place right time....

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Something I forgot to add was I was surprised at how tame and easy to ride it was at city speeds. After watching the video and reading the reviews I was expecting this fire breathing monster with so much torque it would be difficult to just putter around town. It wasn't. It was very tame and didn't have any of the fueling issues of the FZ9. No on off throttle response and even when whacking the throttle open it just drove forward without trying to punch you in the face. Again, not being able to disable the wheelie control probably factors into that, but the fueling is spot on. I still don't like all the gadgetry that they are putting on new bikes and I wish that the KTM's was more intuitive to use. I could cycle through the menu and see the things I wanted to change but couldn't figure out how to change them. After about 5 minutes I just got frustrated and continued my ride. I didn't want to abuse the privilege by being gone too long and the time I was gone I wanted to spend actually riding it, not to mention being atgatt while baking in the summer sun does tend to make me impatient.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Great opportunity......Right place right time....

Thanks for sharing your impressions.
Yes, but I think I've earned some trust from them. I've bought 5 bikes from them in the last 7 years and I bought two from them in 2013 alone. So I think they owe me the right to ride a bike every now and then, plus they know I have bad impulse control and they might have racked up a sale.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Am i missing something i thought the Triumph was 675cc but says it has 128hp and 77lbs torque. I cant see them figures unless this is a different bike.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't know how but the wind protection is surprisingly good for a naked. There was no turbulence and even at 232kph (I couldn't figure out how to put it into mph) it was comfortable.
You did 145 MPH on a test drive?! Holy smokes man. We're you at least on a track?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm a bit dyslexic, the naming of the Triumph Street and Speed triples is confusing, I have pay extra attention to which is being talked about. And some people talk about the S3, yikes!, what to make of that? lol

·
Registered
221 Posts
I used to have a Speed Triple 1050, right before the FZ-09. People always ask me which one I like more.. and to them, I just say they are in the same category, even though they arent. Both naked, both triples, both standard seating.. but the Triumph was heavier. It also had 131hp and 80+ tq. I had an 07, with a Competition Werkes Shorty pipe, K&N filter, and a tune. Remembering back to October of last year, I could tell some difference, but I like the FZ-09 better, now that I think of it. There is more potential.

But like all my past bikes (4) in the past 4 years, I miss them all..

·
Registered
835 Posts
I used to have a Speed Triple 1050, right before the FZ-09. People always ask me which one I like more.. and to them, I just say they are in the same category, even though they arent. Both naked, both triples, both standard seating.. but the Triumph was heavier. It also had 131hp and 80+ tq. I had an 07, with a Competition Werkes Shorty pipe, K&N filter, and a tune. Remembering back to October of last year, I could tell some difference, but I like the FZ-09 better, now that I think of it. There is more potential.

But like all my past bikes (4) in the past 4 years, I miss them all..

Ah hm, my wife test rode a 2014 Speed yesterday, she's been thinking about upgrading from her FZ6r. She's not a huge fan of the snatchy FZ09 and feels that the Speed is much more refined and smooth. The suspension didn't sink a mm when she sat on it, they'll probably have to soften it up for her but otherwise, she loved the Speed...even in that ugly 2013 Nuclear Yellow color.

She might have a problem about having to one-up me on bikes. I have 850cc, 110hp / 60ft lbs torque...so now she wants 1050cc, 132hp / 80ft lbs torque.

Guess I'll start taking a peek at the Super Duke next!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts