Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Where to begin?

We hatched this little plan way back last October and after 28 riders voted in the poll, over 400 replies to the thread and nearly 15,000 views we managed to get a dozen riders on scene @ Albert's Adventure Inn. That may not sound like a great turnout, but I can't imagine a better group to keep company with for several days of quick, reasonably safe and glorious riding. MoFizio, Thantos and Hooligan Grin, you were missed, but I know we will see you all the next time around.

The definition of camaraderie is, mutual trust and friendship among people who spend a lot of time together. Trust and friendship, without question, were most evident at our get together.

As is almost always the case when I put together one of these gatherings, I come away with a renewed faith in humanity and an appreciation for the generosity of others.

There are so many people to thank.

Bowinkle-Jim, without you, the event wouldn't have been nearly the success it was. You shopped for groceries and drinks and played the role of Camp Cook and we were all very well taken care of because of your service. And it was all good. You provided airport shuttle, tools and fluids. Your bike, to me, was the most striking one in the group. You've done a great job of outfitting your FZ. And...you sir, are a genuine saint.

Triplethreat-Vern. You were an early adopter of this event and it was your signing on way back in October that let people know this event was for real. Thanks for your help in getting the whole deal off the ground. You regaled us with fascinating asides, you imparted qualified knowledge and your expertise set a professional and positive tone to the entire event. Peggy, your better half...well what can I say about that great lady? Whatever Peggy laid her hands on, was made better. Vern, you are one lucky s.o.b.! And I suspect Peggy is lucky, as well. It was my loss to have not gotten the chance to ride with you both.

FZJohn, I was happy to see you take off on your own and explore the wonderful surroundings without feeling the need to join a group. That says a lot about your self reliance. Your quiet enjoyment of the proceedings let me know that we met the mark for putting an event together that satisfied everyone.

SliderR1-Jaret, you stepped up and worked to give those unfamiliar with the area the GPS routes to get around confidently. While many did not avail themselves of those tools, your efforts were greatly appreciated. I know it was not easy, as a young father, to find the time to put all of that together.
Thank you. Next time around I'll do a better job of integrating those resources you crafted. Your local knowledge and superior riding skills guaranteed all those that rode with you, a great day in the curves.

Rexster-Rick, what can I say about a man that made the slog all the way from Memphis to hookup with a bunch of strangers? Kudos to you for the effort. Your dry wit was a real plus to the proceedings. I'm only sorry that we didn't spend more time together.

PegasusJockey-Charlie, you made a very long journey to participate. Your little get off was unfortunate. But, you bounced back with snappy repartee for our evening get together's and were a constant reminder of the resiliency of a real motorcyclist. See you at our next one brother.

wskythrtl1-Royce, what a funny, kind and gentlemanly human being you are. You never once felt the need to chastise me for ill-advised passes and you didn't take the opportunity to crack on me for my decided lack of pace at some very odd times. And despite your mention that your experience as a street rider was limited, you showed an amazing level of pace, skill and levelheadedness that was greatly appreciated by all those that rode with you. When Mark and I turned you loose on 19W you took off like a pro and there was no way I could have kept up with you. Your generosity with the Woodford Reserve and cigars was a nice extra.

Rale-Rasko, every gathering needs a guy like you. Young, enthusiastic and fun. I thoroughly enjoyed riding all four days with you. You pitched in where needed and were always ready to roll with the group and most importantly, you didn't feel the need to pound your chest, or needlessly posture yourself as the Alpha male. Ego can be an ugly thing in a motorcycle group and you, despite being a quick rider, were comfortable just being a regular guy and riding, without complaint, at whatever pace the lead rider set.

Shamrock-Les, what a guy. Politely opinionated, quick and lively you are and I would share a drink and a campfire with you anytime. I wish I were more fearless and skilled, because I am certain that a day afield with you would be an adventure for sure.

OK, that's my little thank you to all that brought real value to the gathering. Also, thank you all for putting up with my questionable hygiene, chain smoking, occasional odd riding pace and my slightly drunken demeanor Saturday night. Three times a year, I can be like a sailor on shore leave.

Now...a few parting thoughts.
I will say I am proud to be associated with a group that pitched in to get Charlie sorted and back home. In addition, with few exceptions, we were polite and respectful to the local service workers and residents along the way. We tipped generously, happily injected our funds into the local economy, and comported ourselves as lady and gentlemen. We didn't abuse the lodgings, or cause undue ill will anywhere during our travels.

My only request now is that those that enjoyed the event, take the time to thank those that provided lodging and prizes for our enjoyment. We want the vendor support for our next one.

Please go to TripAdvisor: Read Reviews, Compare Prices & Book and post a review of Albert's Adventure Inn Burnsville North Carolina. I think we can all agree that Van and Debbie are the exception, rather than the rule when it comes to lodging owners and they deserve our support in helping to grow a business that is obviously more about the love, than the dollars. Aren't you all glad I steered you to Burnsville and away from Deals Gap?

Participating vendors that donated product:

Robert Lightfeldt at Seat Concepts. Robert Lightfeldt
Josh and Noah at OES Accessories, <[email protected]>
Nick Stolten at Stoltec Moto. <[email protected]>
Tristan at Tripage LED Lighting. [email protected]
David at Vcyclenut. Contact me - FLASHED BY VCYCLENUT

Remember, for those that joined us at Albert's, donated prizes, or paid for a slot and/or had to ditch at the last minute, you have my personal invite to join me and the Floribama Riders at High Valley Resort in Suches, Georgia the first weekend in October to do it all again. Space is limited.

~peace and love, brothers and sisters

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sounds like it was and will be awesome! I vote for Broken Bow, OK due to close proximity of Dallas and an abundance of twisties and cabins to rest our weary steeds.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sounds like it was and will be awesome! I vote for Broken Bow, OK due to close proximity of Dallas and an abundance of twisties and cabins to rest our weary steeds.
+1 to this!

Reactions: FazeNiner

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
A buddy of mine has a sticker on one of his mirrors that states "Objects in Mirror No Longer Matter" and in many cases that is true but not here and now.
I had a great time with some super people. All givers and no takers. No "Hold my beer and watch this" types.
I entered these festivities with a certain amount of trepidation because I know so well how some of these rides can end badly. Not knowing anyone and their testosterone levels or skill set was far from my profile. I simply don't ride with strangers but this just seemed different so I showed up, loved every minute and can only say thank you to each and every one of you that was there. Flat tires and missing bolts are just little diversions when the ride is spirited, sometimes aggressive but never gets stupid.
I have enjoyed the whole journey right from the first suggestion of a Rally and look foward to riding with you all someday in the future.

·
Super Moderator
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I had a great time with some super people. All givers and no takers.
I entered these festivities with a certain amount of trepidation because I know so well how some of these rides can end badly...but this just seemed different so I showed up, loved every minute and can only say thank you to each and every one of you that was there.
"All givers and no takers." Isn't that the most remarkable thing? I feel like I made a dozen new friends after last weekend.
If we had had more than a dozen show up, the chances of a turd in the punchbowl would have certainly gone up exponentially. So maybe it's best we keep this thing small. Perhaps we should make it the ECR/TripleFest Invitational? :))) I've done that before and those that joined me for what was once known as the Trailer Trash [email protected], still speak wistfully about those good times. So selfish, but hey...it's not like we have that many years of riding left in us, right?

Of course, that's not happening. We can't deny others the opportunity to experience the Woodstock Festival of Speed.

We've been spoiled by the serendipitous confluence of good people, good lodging, good roads and good vibrations.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
"All givers and no takers." Isn't that the most remarkable thing? I feel like I made a dozen new friends after last weekend.
If we had had more than a dozen show up, the chances of a turd in the punchbowl would have certainly gone up exponentially. So maybe it's best we keep this thing small. Perhaps we should make it the ECR/TripleFest Invitational? :))) I've done that before and those that joined me for what was once known as the Trailer Trash [email protected] TWO, still speak wistfully about those good times. So selfish, but hey...it's not like we have that many years of riding left in us, right?
Of course, that's not happening. We can't deny others the opportunity to experience the Woodstock Festival of Speed.

We've been spoiled by the serendipitous confluence of good people, good lodging, good roads and good vibrations.

Think about it; Its been said many, many times.....This bike & this forum has attracted a lot of Special People, and the interesting thing I find is we've got riders at virtually Every Level.....all getting along fine, except for a few who've since been expelled. Which reminds me.....We've Great Mod's too which insures a pure harmonious community.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Lloyd, I think you summed up very eloquently my exact feelings. I've been to some Rallys before (probably not as many as you have), but this one was special and by far, the best one that I've ever attended. Most Rallys that I've been to have some of this and some of that, but I've never been to one that had everything, like this one did. I would like to echo your sentiments and agree with everything that you said. What a weekend of total awesomeness. Wow!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts