Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's a fun bike. =) I can't wait until the breaking in stage is over.

I was worried at first after reading some reviews warning people to "hold on" and "wheelies" so I was perhaps a little over cautious yesterday. I kept it in standard mode the whole time (There is A, Standard, and B and FYI--they can be switched on the fly as long as you aren't giving it throttle). At low speeds (like around 20-40) you can feel the bike being a little jerky, but it is pretty minor...like a slight wind is hitting you.

I believe this bike can be ridden safely by anyone. So, if you are a beginner worried if this bike is too much for you...don't be. Just be a little cautious at lower speeds when you go over bumps..and your hand re-positions afterwards on the throttle..it may be a little jerky after.

I am 5'9" with a shorter inseam....closer to 30". I have to stand on the balls of my feet. My wife is 5'7" and she can stand flat footed. It is narrow though and you sit further forward so your thighs will hug it well. Even though I am on the front of my feet, it doesn't seem to tall for me.

The gauges have a lot of information on it, engine temp, ambient temp, odomoter, mpg, trip, tach, clock, speed. The RPM, speed, and fuel are easily found at a moments glance. I didn't know how I would like the digital screen at first, but I do like it now. I guess I really don't even look at gauges anyways normally so it probably wouldn't matter if there weren't any, lol.

Going from 1st to 2nd....I did hit it into Neutral once while taking off at a busy intersection..lol. So, make sure u give it a good kick ;P

**Added after posting**-- On the highway, you are going to definitely feel the wind.

I am not huge on the mirrors. I am going to change them out for some that go on the bar ends.

Anything else anyone wants to know?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I believe this bike can be ridden safely by anyone. So, if you are a beginner worried if this bike is too much for you...don't be. Just be a little cautious at lower speeds when you go over bumps..and your hand re-positions afterwards on the throttle..it may be a little jerky after.
CJ,

With all due respect, this is not a beginners bike, it's flat out not. Being cautious on a motorcycle so you don't lose control does not make it a beginners bike. A beginners bike is a bike that is forgiving to common beginner mistakes, like grabbing too much throttle or brake among other common mistakes and not being catastrophic.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's a fun bike. =) ......I kept it in standard mode the whole time .......At low speeds (like around 20-40) you can feel the bike being a little jerky, but it is pretty minor...like a slight wind is hitting you.......Anything else anyone wants to know?
Hey CJ---Thanks so much! Let us know if you still feel that same “jerkiness” between 20-40 mph in the B Mode. Also, it sounds like the Standard Mode’s “abruptness” isn’t as aggressive as the Ride reviews say. I mean, it may be aggressive, but not “THAT” aggressive. Thanks again. God Speed & Ride Safe.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I am just curious if the throttle cable is adjustable to give it a tad of slack. I am sure that aftermarket tubes with different cable cams should help the situation some.

W

·
0 Posts
CJ,

With all due respect, this is not a beginners bike, it's flat out not. Being cautious on a motorcycle so you don't lose control does not make it a beginners bike. A beginners bike is a bike that is forgiving to common beginner mistakes, like grabbing too much throttle or brake among other common mistakes and not being catastrophic.
Absolutely correct. The FZ9 is as much a "beginner's bike" as was the Ninja 600. And most of us know what happened to kids who started out on those. It was not pretty. Except the FZ9 has about 40 more HP.

Don't kid yourself. The moment one starts to become comfortable on a 106 HP motorcycle that weighs only 414 lbs -- unless that person knows they are well-versed in riding technique -- is the moment things will likely start to go south.

As far as the throttle response, jerkiness and abruptness is not so bad in traffic; the issue is going to be when one needs to pick up the throttle smoothly after trail-braking deep into a turn at a serious lean angle. That is where the throttle delivery need to be smooth as a baby's bottom. 55 lbs-ft of torque at 2000 RPM and snatchy throttle = highside under those circumstances. Maybe the B mode will work best. Seems to me that this bike was designed to wheelie rather than backroad scratch and the A mode is specifically tailored to pop that front end up with minimal twist. Maybe that's what the road testers aren't understanding; the target audience is the younger hooligan without a lot of cash to throw around who wants to show off a bit. That B mode sounds more like what we'd want in the real world. There is nothing worse than an unruly powerband coupled to a powerful engine. Control and even modulation of the throttle is what we really need to ride smoothly; smooth = fast = less drama = less get-offs. Does the B mode provide it? I'd like to see a dyno test run in each mode.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am just curious if the throttle cable is adjustable to give it a tad of slack. I am sure that aftermarket tubes with different cable cams should help the situation some.
I am not mechanically inclined, but I don't see anything that someone like me could do for it. Everything is sealed on it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Control and even modulation of the throttle is what we really need to ride smoothly; smooth = fast = less drama = less get-offs. Does the B mode provide it? I'd like to see a dyno test run in each mode.
dyno runs won't show throttle reponse smoothness though, as they're done full throttle and the issue here is what happens at smaller throttle openings.

i do agree that the 09 isn't as good a beginner's bike as, say, a 250-500cc bike. a little bit of throttle on the 09 is a lot of torque at the back wheel. but then again, not all beginners are the same either.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I am just curious if the throttle cable is adjustable to give it a tad of slack.
i've found that some bikes that were snatchy on the throttle transition were actually worse with too much throttle cable slack. i always set my cables with as little slack as i can safely get away with (meaning no issues with the cables turning the bars lock to lock).

if there's no adjustment on the twist grip ends of the cables, they must be on the throttle body ends.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CJ,

Fair enough. I didn't mean to advocate beginners to seek it out, but I do believe that any responsible rider that realizes his/her capabilities and respects the bike and riding conditions will be fine.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
as far as the throttle cable goes, it is not going to hook up to the throttle bodies, it will hook up to a rheostat of some sort that feeds it's input to the ECU, which then sends a signal to a servo motor that will operate the throttle bodies. So, there may or may not be any slack in the throttle cable..and...I'm like a Bobby Walnuts, a looser cable will generally cause more issues than one that is properly adjusted.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
as far as the throttle cable goes, it is not going to hook up to the throttle bodies, it will hook up to a rheostat of some sort that feeds it's input to the ECU
yeah, the cables are actually connected to a throttle position sensor. i just said 'throttle body ends' to indicate the other end of the cables.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I hope you don't mind, but I popped you up on the front page.

http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/2-fz-09-news/285-2014-yamaha-fz-09-real-world-impressions.html

Also, I don't think that he meant that the FZ-09 was a beginners bike, but more that a beginner, with respect for the machine, and the road, could ride the bike without issue. The key is that the rider have respect for the power at the tap, and should not be tempted by the lure of the power and twist at their fingertips.

This bike is NOT, I repeat NOT one of these:

It is also not a firebreathing dragon that is waiting to eat your firstborn child.

It is however a motorcycle that has the ability to outride a novice rider with only small errors in the input. A lot of bikes have the ability to bite back, and this one, from what I can tell, has a good set of teeth on it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
CJ,

^ What he said!

W

·
0 Posts
dyno runs won't show throttle reponse smoothness though, as they're done full throttle and the issue here is what happens at smaller throttle openings.

i do agree that the 09 isn't as good a beginner's bike as, say, a 250-500cc bike. a little bit of throttle on the 09 is a lot of torque at the back wheel. but then again, not all beginners are the same either.
Yah, I wasn't suggesting the dyno run would show throttle response but it would show the power curve, which would be interesting to evaluate. I'd like to see one for the B mode on my GSX-R. That seems to actually limit peak power to about 75 HP, judging by the seatofmypants official dyno. Not all beginners are the same for sure, I just remember almost high-siding my 1983 Interceptor into next week but for my dirt riding experience. I still don't know how I got out of that one.

W

·
0 Posts
yeah, the cables are actually connected to a throttle position sensor. i just said 'throttle body ends' to indicate the other end of the cables.
This bike actually does have metal cables? Why would they do such a thing if it has no cable-actuated butterflies? Why not do it just like a car, with a pot connected to the grip and a cable running to the ECU? That's weird, unless they were not able to design a pot to work in the space allowed in the grip housing. Any pics of this setup?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts