Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll

I got 2000 miles on my bike and I love every moment I spent it with the fz.
However, I got so used to my bike I never noticed the "rattling" sound between 3000-4000rpm. However, I did show it to my buddy who owns a bike and he told me to take it to the dealership. So I did.

When I got there, I showed one dealer my new M4 exhaust on my bike and he was amazed by the sound!
The other dealer got out and I told him I have read somewhere on this forum that they did a recall for my bike and he didn't believe me. So he went checking and couldn't find anything, until the one guy who was amazed by my exhaust went checking and found something. It's not called a recall yet, it's called a tech tip. LOL

ANYWAYS, All that to say by monday they might start the recall. My bike's all fine now and sound WAY BETTER /smoother!!!!

Go check it out

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i'm a bit lost on what was replaced/what is to be recalled?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Pretty sure he is referring to the cam chain tensioner. My understanding is they will replace cct with the S1 on the body. The replacements have an S3. Not sure if there is an S2 version or not. For the record I've got the S1 and no noise at 8500 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the S2 on my bike and it's making a lot of noise. I took it to the dealer and they ordered the updated version but I'm still waiting at this point.

Just wanted to clarify that there is an S2 and it's also noisy.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Was it the CCT Cam Chain Tensioner???? I think every Cross Plane needed that update. I could be wrong

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was it the CCT Cam Chain Tensioner???? I think every Cross Plane needed that update. I could be wrong
So far, all he did in front of me is adjust the cct tensionner and the noise went away. He had to create a tool to get there and it was just a 10 minutes job.

Did I mention it was for free!?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
So far, all he did in front of me is adjust the cct tensionner and the noise went away. He had to create a tool to get there and it was just a 10 minutes job.

I'd keep an eye on it - the dealership did the same for me and it started ticking about 10 minutes into my ride home. I had the fizzer kit handy and after adjusting the tension myself and installing his fix - i've had no problems.

·
Registered
520 Posts

He had to create a 3mm allen key?.. Haha

Just hand tighten an m6 set screw in there while its tensioned and lock it with a nut... The tensioner is vibrating loose, the set screw will pin the 3mm adjuster down so it wont back off.

Just make sure you take it out before you go back to dealer to get it replaced.

Talk to "fizzerpilot" ... He sells the kit with detailed instructions for like 10 bucks or something... He'll mail it and it will be there in like 2 days.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

Just hand tighten an m6 set screw in there while its tensioned and lock it with a nut... The tensioner is vibrating loose, the set screw will pin the 3mm adjuster down so it wont back off.

Talk to "fizzerpilot" ... He sells the kit with detailed instructions for like 10 bucks or something... He'll mail it and it will be there in like 2 days.
Yup. Did the set screw and haven't had any noise in about 800 miles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

You are a good person.
Indeed, I will email him.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
so the M4 exhaust did not void his warranty?? Hmmm. or are recall's different from the warranty? Someone please chime in and explain this.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
My understanding is that if you modify a vehicle it doesn't void the warranty on something unrelated. Hard to imagine an exhaust causing a cam chain problem.

On the other hand if you do something like the set screw/Fizzer fix and then have a cam chain problem they can blame you, whether it really was your fault or not.

·
Registered
957 Posts
so the M4 exhaust did not void his warranty?? Hmmm. or are recall's different from the warranty? Someone please chime in and explain this.
Generally speaking slip on mufflers don't void the warranty but full systems will (with the exception of select models and even then only if you have them installed by the dealer). That being said recall and warranty are two different things.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Yea I know.. the whole warranty deal is a very gray area. IMO its a tactic Yamaha uses to scare owners into buying Yamaha approved accessories and mods.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Yea I know.. the whole warranty deal is a very gray area. IMO its a tactic Yamaha uses to scare owners into buying Yamaha approved accessories and mods.
for sure but i wouldn't risk it either way - if my dealer ever gets a fixed cct in - i'll be putting the original screw back in before taking it to the stealership just to be on the safe side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts