Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I had '15 FZ09, which after a few thousand miles I traded on a '16 Triumph Trophy SE. 5,000 miles on it and the transmission went out. Triumph Motorcycles America replaced the '16 with a '17 after ~50 days in the shop. 5k miles on the '17 and the transmission went out. 32 days later, the '17 was back on the road. 10,000 miles and the transmission went out, again. KS State Attorney General's office won a lemon law claim against them on my behalf. Now the proud owner of a '21 MT-09SP. Got it in mid July and have put just over 2400 miles on it so far.
Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
56 Posts
You're likely to find that, on the rare occasions when you need them, Yamaha parts prices are between 1/5th to 1/10th of Triumph's parts prices. It's amazing to me that people buy European-brand vehicles without awareness of the outrageous cost of parts. Yamaha parts prices are generally lower than any other major motorcycle brand which is a nice perk.

On the other hand, it sucks that 8-months after launch, there are still no Yamaha factory accessories available for the new MT-09 (except for the Comfort Seat which is awesome). I would love to get my hands on a Yamaha "Sport Screen" (#B7N-F83J0-00-00) to use for highway trips but that part is Europe-only.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Welcome back to the 09 club.
Can anyone explain why Yamaha went so far as to give the SP black fork stanchions yet left the swingarm raw?
That swingarm sticks out like a sore thumb when I look at this beautiful premium model with all that black and gold and then this raw aluminum swingarm.
Same goes for the rearsets...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome back to the 09 club.
Can anyone explain why Yamaha went so far as to give the SP black fork stanchions yet left the swingarm raw?
That swingarm sticks out like a sore thumb when I look at this beautiful premium model with all that black and gold and then this raw aluminum swingarm.
Same goes for the rearsets...
I dig some raw bits here and there. Gives it a bit of that works look.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I dig some raw bits here and there. Gives it a bit of that works look.
Don't get me wrong, I dig some raw goodies as long as it's balanced but everything else on the SP is blacked out including the fork stanchions and here's this raw swingarm out back. It almost looks like Yamaha ran out of time putting the bike together and just said "**** it, throw it on anyway and get it shipped out".

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm kinda curious what's up with the Triumph transmission issues. Isolated incident, or are they known for gearbox issues. What failed on it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts