Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellas,

I am currently riding a real nice 2011 Ninja 1000 and really love the bike... but have been reading a lot about the new FZ09. Sat on one today and was amazed at how light it felt.

Curious how many of you owners have come from a liter bike and your thoughts as to how the little triple stacks up.

I have owned Hondas and my last Yamaha was an 02 FZ1. This Ninja is my first Kawi. The thing I have noticed is the fit and finish on both the Honda and Yamaha are quite a bit nicer that the Kawi's.

Anyone have any regrets with the FZ09?

Thanks for your time and thoughts,

Tim.

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
My only regret was that Yamaha didn't make this bike sooner.
Test ride it and seal the deal for yourself. ;)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only regret was that Yamaha didn't make this bike sooner.
Test ride it and seal the deal for yourself. ;)
I would love to ride one but I live in communist California. Most dealers don't do test drives. If anyone knows of a dealer in So Cal that does please let me know.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Fz09 is very quick and light. I agree that quality rank is Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki/Suzuki. Like airplanes, all bikes are compromises among priorities. I think the 09 is a great hooligan bike, upright sport bike, and generally fun machine. Wind at high speeds on a naked is uncomfortable and cold in winter. I have demoed a ninja 1000 and if touring is your thing, I believe the ninja will suit your needs better. Personally, I have gravitated back to simpler, lighter, naked bikes. Easier to move, wrench, and other than some difficulty cleaning, better for me. But there is no best bike. Depends on what you like.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fz09 is very quick and light. I agree that quality rank is Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki/Suzuki. Like airplanes, all bikes are compromises among priorities. I think the 09 is a great hooligan bike, upright sport bike, and generally fun machine. Wind at high speeds on a naked is uncomfortable and cold in winter. I have demoed a ninja 1000 and if touring is your thing, I believe the ninja will suit your needs better. Personally, I have gravitated back to simpler, lighter, naked bikes. Easier to move, wrench, and other than some difficulty cleaning, better for me. But there is no best bike. Depends on what you like.
You sound like me. I like simple and easy to work on. My Ninja you have to remove the fairings to change spark plugs or the air cleaner.

As far as touring: For me the freeway is a necessary evil to get to the canyons where all the fun is. I am not in to going long distance.

All the above has me thinking about getting an FZ09.

·
Registered
350 Posts
And eventually fairings start to crack-beastly expensive to replace. Folks deny this but they don't keep bikes as long as I do. I sold the F4I at 62k and my VFR at 81k. Both were still running strong but had fairing cracks and such.. It's all about maintaining the bike mechanically. Oh, and don't crash 'em.

fz09 is a hoot. For my money 0-80 is the best part about riding anyway. The seat seems totally wrong at first but my butt adapted after a couple of weeks. Suspension is a bit weak but the engine and frame are great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Coming from a zx10 I have no regrets! The fz09 does not have the top end pull the 10 had but it is still a blast to ride. Touring is more comfortable but the smaller tank on the fz09 is kinda a bummer. Over all I would gladly trade my 10 in for the fz09 again. The fz09 makes tons more down low power and makes it even more fun to ride.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
This bike is FAST. The 0-100 is insanely quick. It's windy but if you are a true rider, you can handle it. I bought some riding pants when i got my bike...loosing the wind protection takes some getting used to. It also helps to have a good fitting helmet that doesn't lift up etc. There is nothing i love more than accelerating from a stop sign at full tilt hovering the front wheel then looking back and seeing all the cages a mile behind me after only a few seconds(I know its an exaggeration) But then you add the easy turning...it turns on a dime. It flicks right into corners then you wheelie on the way out. Its all useable power and always leaves you with a smile. IMO its the most fun you can have on a motorcycle. It's also great in the corners, and you won't feel like you are downgrading in your cornering abilities to go though corners. It's an unbelievable bike...everything i wanted in a motorcycle.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hello Fellas,

I am currently riding a real nice 2011 Ninja 1000 and really love the bike... but have been reading a lot about the new FZ09. Sat on one today and was amazed at how light it felt.

Curious how many of you owners have come from a liter bike and your thoughts as to how the little triple stacks up.

I have owned Hondas and my last Yamaha was an 02 FZ1. This Ninja is my first Kawi. The thing I have noticed is the fit and finish on both the Honda and Yamaha are quite a bit nicer that the Kawi's.

Anyone have any regrets with the FZ09?

Thanks for your time and thoughts,

Tim.
If you can afford to.. keep the Ninja. I kept my CBR RR and my Harley Slim. Why did I keep them, simple... they're all very different animals and each fills a specific need/want of mine. My CBR is without a doubt FAST.. and is awesome on the track, but it's not a everyday bike. My Harley is all flash with apes and all... it's heavy and feels as big as a house. Yet there's something about American steel that I just can't shake... or maybe it's the shake I love? Either way the 09 it's not the fastest bike in my garage nor is it the loudest or most noticed bike I have... but it's the quickest, most flickable, lightest, comfortable, wheelie inducing, funniest bike I own.... or have ever owned. In other words, if I could only keep one of my bikes... without a second thought I'd keep the 09.
So if I want to drag a knee, I'll ride the CBR. If I want to be heard before I'm seen, I'll ride the Harley..... BUT if I'm wanting to have the most hedonistic hooligan fun I can on two wheels, I'm riding the 09.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've been riding on the street for 35 years and have always loved the sportier bikes. That being said, I haven't had an inline 4 in a probably 10 years. In that time, I've had 2 SV's, VFR, VTR, R1100S and Sprint RS. I enjoy the way these engines made their power over the 4's. I'm not a fan of bodywork. I do my own wrenching, and I hate to clean. I guess it's in retaliation to my anal retentive Marine aviation background! The only clean spot on my bikes is the area where I worked on it last! I still have an R1100GS, SV and XR. I don't know what the future holds for them. I plan on adding touring amenities that can be used for trips and commuting. When I got the FZ, I wasn't sure what it would replace. After 1500 miles on the bike, I'm still not sure. I guess when rally season hits, and the road trip bug bites me, I'll be in a better position to tell. If I do sell the GS, it will be the first time I haven't had a BMW in the garage in 15 years. I hope I don't get cast off by the clan!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you can afford to.. keep the Ninja. I kept my CBR RR and my Harley Slim. Why did I keep them, simple... they're all very different animals and each fills a specific need/want of mine. My CBR is without a doubt FAST.. and is awesome on the track, but it's not a everyday bike. My Harley is all flash with apes and all... it's heavy and feels as big as a house. Yet there's something about American steel that I just can't shake... or maybe it's the shake I love? Either way the 09 it's not the fastest bike in my garage nor is it the loudest or most noticed bike I have... but it's the quickest, most flickable, lightest, comfortable, wheelie inducing, funniest bike I own.... or have ever owned. In other words, if I could only keep one of my bikes... without a second thought I'd keep the 09.
So if I want to drag a knee, I'll ride the CBR. If I want to be heard before I'm seen, I'll ride the Harley..... BUT if I'm wanting to have the most hedonistic hooligan fun I can on two wheels, I'm riding the 09.
Very well said. Great summation of 2 wheeled fun. Yea wish I could afford 2 machines but can't. The Ninja is my first bike with complete body work. I like the wind protection and the look but... I too wrench on my bikes and the body work is a royal pain in the arse. Especially the way Kawi designed it.

There is a near by shop that has a Red FZ coming in any day and it is not spoken for. Hold me back fellas! I'm starting to paw the ground like a bull in the arena.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I gave up my CBR954RR the other day. I just could not see myself riding it much any more, and I sold my WR250R play bike to get the FZ. With the FZ, I have a bike that does a bit of what both my other bikes did. I am totally happy, and I am glad to have a bike that I can ride all day long like my 2000 VFR800.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts