Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm working with Ron at Washington Cycle Works here in NJ. He's a really stand up guy (remembers me every time I call (that may be a bad thing :) )/super honest about what you get for the price with all different options). I decided i'm going to go with the base ohlins rear shock (it's just a better deal when getting it through him) - but I'm really going back and forth on the following for the front fork:

1. Fork Piston Kit - stoltec for $250
2. GP Suspension 25mm kit - stoltec for $1,149
3. GP Suspension 30mm kit -ohlins - through washing cycle works - price tbd but it's more than the stoltec's penske

I'm not a racer but i like to have fun when i ride - i'm somewhat of a big guy 6'0 215lbs. I never intend to track this bike and i'm wondering if the $250 kit is really all i should go for vs. the more expensive fork replacement in which case i'd likely go with the penske for $1,149.

Right now i'm thinking of just replacing the rear shock and see what that does to the bike - then decide later about the front fork.

Anyone else have this same problem? - just wondering if the Fork Piston Kit is going to be sufficient or if it really is worth it to spend the extra $900 on 25mm kit.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I think you're confusing things there a bit, unless I'm misreading your 1,2,3 options. Stoltec has:
1) GP Suspension fork piston kit
2) GP Suspension 25mm cartridge kit
3) I don't know who you mean has a 30mm kit.
Penske options from Stoltec are only rear shocks. Penske hasn't done anything with the forks, that's all Nick and GP Suspension.

Anyway, I have a Penske 8983 rear shock and #1, the piston kit. It sounds like I'm the same as you, won't be tracking this bike, but like to give it good from time to time on the streets. I'm happy with my bike the way it is. If I had an extra grand lying around I would have waited for the 25mm cartridges, but I feel for my use the GP piston kit is ideal.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah sorry I thought stoltecs front forks were penske but I think I'm wrong.

Option 3 is the kit ohlins offers (it's a 30mm kit I believe) but I don't know on pricing yet. I think it's 1300.

Sent from my phone and my autocorrect sucks

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
At first I did the fork spring only (.85 kg/mm) with 10W oil. Then I sent everything to Nick and did the Piston kit. The difference was very nice. Then after talking with Nick I went up in fork spring to .90 kg/mm. Feel pretty solid to me now. I'm 180lbs without gears, so 190-5ish with gears. With the .90 spring I have 37mm rider sag @ zero preload. Front end feel very good to me. I don't think I need more to be honest. I'll be doing track day later on this year, we'll see if I can see the end of it but I seriously doubt. Plenty of support and rebound control with the kit.

I used this with the ZX-10 shock. Still working on the proper rear spring rate for me. The ZX-10 comes with a 9.1 kg/mm and I tested the 9.7 kg/mm. 9.7 felt fine on smooth road but a bit too harsh on bumpy road. So I need to test the 9.1 again. I might go in between to 9.4, not sure yet.

I would definitely suggest you to go with the $250 kit aiming on the stiffer side of the spring rate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
On the rear, I would go with Penske over Ohlins any day. Past experience has shown me they are a lot more serviceable, easier to find support/ lot more guys who work on them and have know-how if you don't do everything yourself. Ohlins is a nice-looking piece, but I've seen some guys that sell them that won't even work on them, and don't know much about them. If you're only riding on the street, probably not that big of a deal, but for a guy your size, at the very least I would make sure it is sprung for your weight when you buy it. Find out how much your guy works on their products.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's an exclusive ohlins dealer so I'm not worried about that.

Marthy I'm surprised that you have .9kg spring rates. nick said about the same for me but I'm 20lbs heavier than you geared.

·
Registered
877 Posts
He's an exclusive ohlins dealer so I'm not worried about that.

Marthy I'm surprised that you have .9kg spring rates. nick said about the same for me but I'm 20lbs heavier than you geared.

I would run .95 in that case.

Currently run 1.00 , 230 Lbs + 10 to 20 depending on gear worn, 35 mm sag, no preload.

.95 = 35 mm sag , preload about 1/2 way.

Reactions: nburkhouse and beck

·
Registered
159 Posts
Right now i'm thinking of just replacing the rear shock and see what that does to the bike - then decide later about the front fork.
I would not recommend ignoring the fork for now. I went with the cheaper option up front - springs and gold valves from Race Tech.

While I am sure a full kit would be better performing, at least getting some stiffer springs in there helps a ton to keep the bike at the right attitude when riding in a spirited manner. It made a major difference for me.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am extremely picky when it comes to suspension after being on the track for 12 years, ran Penske rear shocks and always had Traxxion do my front forks. Worked with Ron a bunch on setup dialing in the bikes and we always got the bikes to where I was happy with them for the majority of tracks that I used to ride (NJMSP, Summit, VIR, , Beaver Run, Pocono). That being said since my FZ09 will never see the track (Those days are over for me) I did not want to spend big bucks for a street only bike, went with the base Penske and the Stoltec FPK kit obviously sprung for me on both ends. Totally happy with the results for the price point, transformed one of the worst stock suspensions I have ridden to a bike with decent road compliance and even at elevated paces it stays composed.

Ultimately it is your money, if you have the extra cash go crazy but even the base upgrades are a vast improvement over the stock setup.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you guys seriously kick ass - think my mind has been made up - Fork Piston Fork it is.

Ohlins rear shock is delayed until mid July so i'll be waiting a bit but pumped to put this all together when it comes in.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would run .95 in that case.

Currently run 1.00 , 230 Lbs + 10 to 20 depending on gear worn, 35 mm sag, no preload.

.95 = 35 mm sag , preload about 1/2 way.
I just got .95 springs installed with 10wt oil. I am about 205 without gear. Had similar setup on 2008 SV650.
It works for me.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I went with the double clicker Penske and GP Suspension 25mm kit from Stoltec, can't claim my riding requires something that good but suspension is something I'd rather error on the side of over spending. Even if I'm not taking it to it's limit I like the feel of it.

For a street 09 and a rider that isn't an accomplished racer the Fork Piston Kit from Stoltec should be a great ride and the best value per $. The $ you save not getting the 25mm kit will pay for a Penske double clicker. Other than a Penske from Nick the only shock I'd consider is a used Kawasaki rebuilt for the 09 by Traxxion like Hawkerjet did. I forget what the total cost was for him, $500 something?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm kind-of following your first post, but the pricing is throwing me off and making me not sure if I'm following or not... so pardon me if I'm about to not make any sense.

I don't weigh as much as you (not as tall either), but I did the Piston Kit ($250) w/ a new spring (+84) (I don't think you want to do the piston without the spring as well), and higher quality fork oil (even if you don't change the viscosity, put a higher quality oil in).

Although this may be considered the "cheap" route - the front end was completely transformed and is great!

I'm perfectly satisfied with the results and feel no need to spend any more money on the forks.

- Problem Solved -

***nevermind***

You've already decided :eek:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Fork valves + springs and then a decent rear shock is the good baseline solid performer.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm kind-of following your first post, but the pricing is throwing me off and making me not sure if I'm following or not... so pardon me if I'm about to not make any sense.

I don't weigh as much as you (not as tall either), but I did the Piston Kit ($250) w/ a new spring (+84) (I don't think you want to do the piston without the spring as well), and higher quality fork oil (even if you don't change the viscosity, put a higher quality oil in).

Although this may be considered the "cheap" route - the front end was completely transformed and is great!

I'm perfectly satisfied with the results and feel no need to spend any more money on the forks.

- Problem Solved -

***nevermind***

You've already decided :eek:

The pricing I was basing this on was from his site - i only now just realized that the fork springs are another $85 bucks - no big deal at all but i didnt think about that originally. I will be getting new springs (shooting for .95s) along with the rest of the kit.

I dont have a front stand so i can't disconnect anything from the fork to send to Nick - so i'm just checking with him if he can send me the kit and i can bring it all to my suspension guy to get it done along with the rear shock.

I think this is my last major mod - or so i think anyway :)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I dont have a front stand so i can't disconnect anything from the fork to send to Nick
5 cement blocks

1 block under the exhaust scrotum (put a rag between the block and the scrotum so you don't scratch your scrotum as that can hurt)

2 blocks on either side of the bike with tiedowns secured to the cement blocks and holding the bike balanced on the first block

Used this method many many many times before getting a stand or other proper tools. Works quite well and costs less than $10.

If you are extra concerned about this approach, you can buy a few more blocks to support the bottom triple clamp on after you remove the forks.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
What are you going to do when it's time to change the front tire? If you aren't taking the whole bike to the shop I think it's worth getting a front stand now, I like the Woodcraft one.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was just going to take the bike into the shop but I suppose I should man up and figure out how to do it myself.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts