Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys- As you can tell, I need a little advice and would welcome your thoughts.

A dealership nearby has a 2015 FZ-09 with 81K miles for $3500 and a warranty until 2/20/2020. Currently, I own a 2001 BMW K1200RS (ABS) and a 2001 Suzuki SV650S both with around 25K each on the clock. I'm considering offering both bikes for trade-in value toward the FZ09. Does this sound like a fairly balanced trade?Do you think that the dealer will accept it or make me pony up cash also?

I've done a fair amount of research on the FZ09 so I know about the fueling issues and the bad suspension, but my big concern is the high mileage. I know that some bikes when they start getting into that high mileage range, lots of things start falling apart and they need lots of upkeep. I'm not a mechanic so this would be a deal breaker for me.

What do you guys think? Should I pursue this or am I asking for trouble? I would appreciate your thoughts and advice.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Sorry, but you're crazy for even considering this. That FZ09 is way overpriced with that kind of mileage and I have to think that the value of your bikes have to be at least $4000-$5000 combined. You should be able to find an FZ09 of that year, modded, with 12K-20K miles in the $4000-$5000 range.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Welcome to the forum hunter, it's a good place to get advice and my advice would be "listen to Harry". I would think your BMW alone would be close in price to that 09.
Personally, I wouldn't even buy a used Honda Accord with that many miles, much less a motorcycle.
(Full disclosure: no disrespect to Cw09 since he has about 130K on his)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that was close! I guess that I'm a little eager to find MY bike and the FZ09 seems to tick all of the boxes. I like the bikes that I have, but neither is really for me.

I like the power and stability of the K12RS, but hate how heavy it is and how it guzzles premium fuel like a drunken sailor on shore leave.The SV is fun and flickable and so easy to ride (my first bike), but gets uncomfortable after a couple of hours and tends to get blown around a bit by the strong crosswinds that we get in my area.

Thanks guys for talking me off of the ledge.

PS-Believe it or not, but A LOT of BMW owners would tell you that the 60K-80K mi range is when their bikes are entering their prime now that they've been broken in. 😊

·
Registered
58 Posts
All of my BMW riding friends would tell you that is when you should be primed to open you wallet.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like you may be in the Bay Area like me. I saw that bike (I think) at a local shop. Just for some reference, I bought a '15 with 3500 miles from the original owner for $5k. Has an m4 exhaust, a tail tidy and a LED tail light.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't do it. No way. That FZ-09 needs a valve job for sure haha... and I'm SURE I can find some other stuff worn out on that sucker. You can find them for 4K with half the miles all day long. Sell both those bikes for 3K!! Then you'll be golden! It shouldn't take long to sell them for that much as I'm sure they are decent right?

For 5K - 5500 you can get one hell of a lower mileage FZ-09. Do the right thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you may be in the Bay Area like me. I saw that bike (I think) at a local shop. Just for some reference, I bought a '15 with 3500 miles from the original owner for $5k. Has an m4 exhaust, a tail tidy and a LED tail light.
Ha ha, you got it BigBri. Thanks for the info on your purchase. It is helpful to have that as a point of reference. Prices (among other things) can get a little squirrelly in the Bay Area.

Did you or the previous owner get the ECU flashed since the M4 exhaust was installed? How's it running?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ha ha, you got it BigBri. Thanks for the info on your purchase. It is helpful to have that as a point of reference. Prices (among other things) can get a little squirrelly in the Bay Area.

Did you or the previous owner get the ECU flashed since the M4 exhaust was installed? How's it running?
ECU was not flashed by the previous owner. It has a nice crackle and pop at higher rpms. I'm about to send the ECU to vcyclenut for his flash, plus the Woolich quick shift and auto blipper. While that's out I'm gonna install the block off plates.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's crazy high mileage, and a high price for such a young bike.

In comparison I had a quick look on bikesales here in Aus, and prices for the FZ09 (MT-09) are:

2015 - 15100km (9382mi) - $6990 AUD ($4801 USD)
2015 - 52258km (32471mi) - $6995 AUD ($4804 USD) - motorcycle shop
2015 - 7866km (4887mi) - $8490 AUD ($5830 USD)
2015 - 23103km (14355mi) - $8490 AUD ($5830 USD)
2016 - 6607km (4105mi) - $9500 AUD ($6523 USD)

These are all bikes that are for sale privately except the one at the dealership, could always negotiate deals with them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi guys- As you can tell, I need a little advice and would welcome your thoughts.

A dealership nearby has a 2015 FZ-09 with 81K miles for $3500 and a warranty until 2/20/2020. Currently, I own a 2001 BMW K1200RS (ABS) and a 2001 Suzuki SV650S both with around 25K each on the clock. I'm considering offering both bikes for trade-in value toward the FZ09. Does this sound like a fairly balanced trade?Do you think that the dealer will accept it or make me pony up cash also?

I've done a fair amount of research on the FZ09 so I know about the fueling issues and the bad suspension, but my big concern is the high mileage. I know that some bikes when they start getting into that high mileage range, lots of things start falling apart and they need lots of upkeep. I'm not a mechanic so this would be a deal breaker for me.

What do you guys think? Should I pursue this or am I asking for trouble? I would appreciate your thoughts and advice.
I'm sure there are a lot of people who would trade much better FZ's than that one. I would, but mine's bone stock, Orange with less that 5k on the ticker.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Get rid of the SV, Keep the K1200 (you'll miss it after getting beat up by the wind on the highway on the FZ09) and get a low mileage used FZ09 for pounding around the city.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought a like new condition 2015 with 10k miles, LED tail light and M4 slipon, and windshield. $4000 and it had been for sale in S. Carolina for a month. There are a lot of these bikes out there and many guys can't wait to upgrade to a faster bike, which is in your favor. What folks actually pay for these, is about $4000 used and low mileage, and the new ones are $8000 out the door at the good dealers like Sport Bikes in Rockingham, NC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts