Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out for a ride on my local tight twisty backroad a couple days ago. I came in to a turn too hot (too hot for me anyway), paniced, hit the brakes, upset the suspension, weeble wobbled to the outside, target fixated on the shoulder and...

OMG! My baby! Only 300 miles and now this!!!
LOL I will stop being a diva about it now, because it could have been much worse.
OES sliders on order tonight!! T-rex case sliders in a week!! Lesson learned!!
The only thing is that, the little bolt with the copper washer, started seeping:( any suggestions?

·
Registered
80 Posts
i literally just did the same thing but i was only going about 5mph when i dropped it..damaged the same cover though...mine was leaking oil as well...dealer is charging me out the ass to fix it and not to mention ive had to wait over a week for the parts to come in and have them install..still dont have my bike back...pain in my ass

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sorry to hear it, all fixable though. It can happen to anyone and at least you have identified your mistakes. Not trying to preach as I am no track rider but those are critical safety issues ( taking corners too hot, target fixation, braking in the turn) . Best to focus your riding on safe entry speeds ,and practice how to brake in a turn, looking through etc… Now I need to take my own advice! :D

Reactions: Kilo

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Sorry to hear about the little off. Just bit of "something to think about" advice. Remember this, target fixation can work FOR you or AGAINST you. To make it work FOR you, instead of fixating on the place you DON'T want to go....the shoulder, off the road, etc....focus/fixate on where you DO want to go. In other words, don't worry/panic about heading towards the shoulder, stay focused and looking THROUGH the corner at where you WANT to go.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Glad you made it without too much damage to yourself, bike can be fix or replace. Since I got into track days I do appreciate much more the safety side of it. Going twice as fast and being twice as safe make you see street riding to a different level IMO. Now I do understand when guys tell me they don't ride the street, track days only.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Sorry man, it happens. When I go into the corner hot, I remind myself that the bike can lean farther over than I think it can. I keep it in my mind that it is better to lowside than dodge obstacles offroad.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Vern is right! Look where you want to go, always! I suspect you also are not scanning far enough ahead. Keep your head and eyes scanning out as far as you can see.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There are two types of riders, ones who have crashed and ones who haven't crashed "yet".

I just hope all my hundreds of dirt biking crashes will give me a clean slate for many years to come.

But seriously, glad to hear you are ok and more importantly that you are treating this little spill as a learning experience. It's the guys who crash, then blame it on anything other than "what they did", then don't learn anything in the process that are the scary ones on the road.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nothing more than a learning experience. You are now a better rider for it. Just remember what you learned so it won't be repeated.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I went down this morning, but my case and frame sliders worked wonderfully. After your repairs, I highly recommend you invest in them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I tightened... more like barely "snugged" that bolt and the leak ceased, Thank the powers that be!!! I can live with scratches on the engine... It can be my little reminder that I see everytime let up the kickstand. A reminder of what not to do.
I know target fixation can work for you and against you, I always make a concious effort to keep my eyes looking as far ahead as possible.. But in this situation I totally b!%$Shed out, froze up, went into fear mode, and stared the shoulder down.. ride, learn, live, OES sliders (full set) will be here in 1-3 days lol, and I cleared that same corner this morning (at a slightly lower speed however).
I really want to get into performance riding and all that, but I would rather buy myself a slightly older R6, CBR600, or GSXR600 or GSXR750 for track days and the like.. I would be soo sad if anything happened to my FZ at the track.. Im not financially strong enough yet to have a brandnew 2014 track bike..

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
For track days, you don't need a brand new bike! In fact, when you start looking around, there are a lot of very good bikes out there that have already had some of the major things added to it......after market suspension, track plastics, steering stabilizer, exhaust and PC, etc. Of course it would depend on how well it's been taken care of, but much more of a bargain for the track than buying new and then having to spend all those $$$ yourself. My track bike is 7 years old....CBR 600RR and 12,XXX miles on it....still running very strong and top of the line Ohlins bits make it a formidable weapon on the track.

Reactions: FZjohn

·
Registered
20 Posts
pleased to hear you are ok, man. considering the unfortunate nature of your situation you seem to have maintained a good attitude about it. attitude is everything. you've learned your threshold. now ride on.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Congrats on getting that one out of your system and ending up ok :thumbsup: ... if you do the same thing again though, then your an idiot! ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Birdman:

Glad youre ok. The damage looks pretty minimal. I'm also in the east bay. Where did the crash happen?
It was near you in the stretch of backroads spanning from Pinole to Martinez.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts