Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming to terms with the fact that I don't like my Sportster. I think I'm going to sell it this summer and get something else. What else to get as a second bike is the question. I noticed that riding the FZ-09 in the wind is a way different experience than riding something with a windshield and I would like to go on trips with the bike (PA to TN or NC or WV). So, something that would be better for higher mile trips would be nice. Or, I could take the FZ-09 on trips and just stop for gas and maybe get used to the wind.

Here's what I have been looking at:

(1) Kawasaki Vulcan 900 custom matte black 'cause it kind of looks like a big twin Harley and I do like that kind of thing, just not doing 16k for a Softail Slim
(2) R6 (that might make no sense having the FZ-09, I just like them, and I can't really have a bike with a huge lean, so that makes no sense either, yeah, I just like that bike)
(3) Shadow Spirit RS which is more like a sportster since it doesn't have forward controls, I don't love forward controls
(4) give the Harley another chance and try to get used to it
(5) BMW F800 R, might be too much like the FZ-09 since it's a naked bike
(6) Ninja or CBR500R, don't know if either of these would make sense owning the FZ-09 either

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
224 Posts
cbr 500 gots no soul.

the only harley i would ever use, despite its pitiful gas capacity, is the harley nightster.

and i already picked out my next bike, no contest. bmw already made the perfect bike. mods you can lock this thread now.
r 9 t. would have gotten it already but its not out yet and slightly more pricey.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a BMW FZ-09!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm coming to terms with the fact that I don't like my Sportster. I think I'm going to sell it this summer and get something else.
Selling the Sportster this summer will give you some time to get acquainted with the FZ-09. You haven't owned it very long, yet.

Or, I could take the FZ-09 on trips and just stop for gas and maybe get used to the wind.
This is my recommendation. By summer, you may have taken the FZ-09 on at least one trip. I would do that before purchasing another motorcycle. Also, the FZ-09 should have a greater selection of products available to support longer trips.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Suzukuki V-Strom 1000 ABS, Kawasaki Versys, Triumph Tiger 800 would all work for long trips once you put a bigger windshield on, and they'd be very comfy in terms of their seating positions.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Jen, you should sell the Harley. If you don't like it now you probably will never like it. Why not get a good tall windshield you can put on for long trips and off for short trips. Madstad or something like it. Get some bags or rack and truck or soft bag for the back. Even a couple of fuel bottles if you worry about running out of gas. You cant get a much lighter bike, cant get a much smoother bike. sure would be hard to get a quicker to pass bike. And after a couple of trips, if you are not happy, you can look at the new 2014 models that will have arrived instead of just being hype.

I have a 2014 CTX 700 which is good for trips, great gas mileage, comfortable and so on but underpowered and just not fun like the FZ. So it is up for sale. I will keep working on my FZ-09 till it does what I want when I want. My soft saddle bags and windscreen (mid height) go on and off easy enough so it can be naked or something else. I have plans for trips this summer. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Agree on the vstrom1000 or the 650 although not sure how tall you are - they have pretty high ride heights.

Also what's your budget?

I would like something like a ninja 1000 or BMW k1300s as a touring compliment to the FZ and something that would be more comfortable riding 2 up. If my wife didn't like to ride with me, I'd get a triumph thruxton in a heartbeat.

If those are out of your budget, perhaps consider a yami fz6 or a kawi ninja 650,both will feel under powered compared to the FZ I bet but will be more comfortable at highway speeds.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, after seeing this, I may have to add a "second" bike to my garage....although Jen this probably doesnt help with your decision

Husqvarna Nuda 900r

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
176 Posts
NC750X DCT
INTEGRA 750 DCT

super cheap to run and maintain.

easily 90+KM per gallon ( 30KM/L mixed mode )

scooter like (DCT= no need to shift thru gears, the com does it fer ya! )

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to do a 400-500 mile day on my FZ09. If you are looking for something with more of a touring flavor but still sporty:
Money is not an issue- 2014 Ninja 1000 ($13-14000ish)
Money tight- Find a nice used second generation Yamaha FZ01 either already setup to tour or do it yourself. ($5-$6000ish)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Jen, for now I'd suggest concentrating on your 09, learn it and how well it does/doesn't meet your needs. Make friends with the wind. ;) After more time on the 09 you'll have a better idea if you need a 2nd bike and if so what.

If the wind turns out to be too much on long days try a fly screen or a small touring screen etc.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ugh...I have a guy who wants to look at the Harley this weekend. I know I should sell it but I'm getting this sick feeling inside. I also get the same sick feeling when I ride the bike. I wasn't freaked by the 115 hp Yamaha. Go figure. :)

I like the Versys and VStrom but I'm 5'5" with a 31 1/2 inseam so my options are limited.

I'm debating about getting another cruiser but I think I like sport bikes better.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I regretted selling my sportster. So much I bought it back. Never again. Just me although.
But the honda 750 that ktk ace mentioned is a good tourer. Plenty of mods for bags trunks windshields ect. Not too expensive either. Your sale will cover most of its price.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Ugh...I have a guy who wants to look at the Harley this weekend. I know I should sell it but I'm getting this sick feeling inside. I also get the same sick feeling when I ride the bike. I wasn't freaked by the 115 hp Yamaha. Go figure. :)

I like the Versys and VStrom but I'm 5'5" with a 31 1/2 inseam so my options are limited.

I'm debating about getting another cruiser but I think I like sport bikes better.
sell the Harley - i bet you won't miss it once the weather stops sucking in our area and you can get some decent seat time on the FZ. As V2Bob wisely said in a previous post - after logging some miles on the FZ - re-evaluate what you think is lacking on that bike and if you feel those are significant - look for a bike that satisfies those short comings.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The bike is great. The only issues are storage and wind protection. The storage issue can be solved with a tail bag or saddle bag. Even at 45 mph I feel like I'm getting blown away and I'm wearing a full face helmet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A few people have mentioned it, and I would highly recommend test riding or borrowing a mid-sized adventure bike. Something like a Suzuki DL650 VStrom, Tiger 800, BMW F700GS or F800GS. The VStrom is an amazing bike for the money. The seating position is great, the motor is sweet, the fairing and windshield make it all day comfortable, the handling is light and lively...really a great all around bike. Having an ADV bike would complement the FZ09, IMHO.

Rob

1 - 20 of 69 Posts