Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you still have purchased the 2014 FZ09....???

It's now been about a year +/-

If you could go back, All things considered, what would you have bought....???

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If they made the Street Triple R in that weird green I would have bought that.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Of course I would...I knew what I was buying when I bought it....Its no surprise I would buy it all over again

·
Registered
18 Posts
Was a tough decision for me between my sweet lovely donkey and an mv Augusta 800 brutale. Theyre both triples. Brutale has that Italian sexyness. Fz09 is much cheaper and can be made to look and perform the way you'd want. In the end, I wanted a bike I can call/make "my own" instead of a fresh out the box goodness kind of bike. Same goes for the street triple R as it was one of my choices. I'm in love with the triples!!!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
For years I had hoped for a small, light, powerful naked bike that I could "multitask" with. Ever since I rode a friends Daytona 675 when they first came out I just knew a triple would be the Holy Grail and I still believe that.
It just didn't exist until the 09 showed up and there's still nothing like it, at least not now. As neat as the Street Triple is it just doesn't have the versatility and attitude of the Yamaha. I just don't see a luggage rack or even my wife on the back of the Triumph.
When the 09 was announced it was a no brainer for me. When the magazine guys commented about the crappy fueling and wonky suspension I just waited to buy one so I could decide on the best way, for me, to deal with the short comings. I have thrown more aftermarket money at this bike than any other new bike I've owned without regret. I have it pretty much perfect without bankrupting myself. I would love to say I have cartridge forks and a triple clicker shock but I don't. I will say the fork springs and Gold Valve along with the Penske 8900E improved the suspension by, oh, let's say 190%. Parts, labor, tax and shipping come to $1284. For fueling I did the Yamaha upgrade, no charge there and a big improvement. I've also spent a good bit on doodads and farkles along with a much improved seat, also without regrets
My biggest complaint was the CCT. I installed a manual one and 94 bucks ain't much in the overall picture but it still pissed me off to feel forced to do it.
I keep thinking about one of the questions asked during the FZ-09 focus group I attended------How do you feel when riding your FZ-09? I simply put down one word----"challenged". "Challenged" he asked and I said ya, you know, doing everything correctly and trying to keep that front wheel down! Hell man I'm almost seventy years old but this thing gives me a chubby everytime I ride it.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Absolutely, even though I was only able to put 700 miles on it before winter hit I have zero regrets. In reality the only other bikes I was considering were the Fz-07 and the 690 Duke (I really dislike the looks of the Street Triple and the Brutale while gorgeous is a little pricey considering this would be the second bike I bought this year, I have also heard some pretty mediocre reviews as far as performance goes. The only thing I was iffy about was getting the yellow one instead of the dark grey and now after looking at it sit in garage for the last 4 months I don't have any regrets about that either. I could see this being a bike I could hang onto for a while, I might one day pick up a liter bike for track days but as a bike to cruise around and commute on I personally don't know if you could find a much better choice.

·
Registered
272 Posts
buying this bike a no brainier foer me, I have no regrets at all I love the bike ! Yesterday rode the Berkeley hills on my way to Berkeley Honda Yamaha to pick up super cross tickets and was once more blown away at how quick the bike is on tight twisty mountain roads. As soon as I get on the bike I get tis huge smile that won't go away!!!! RR. :cool:t

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Previously owning the Tiger 1050 totally hooked me on triples. But, being a liter bike put it over 500 lbs wet, regardless of what Triumph said it was. Ever since, I've been looking for "the" perfect combo. A triple that is down, at least, 100 lbs, but still giving me that super smooth torquey, perfect handling bike. As I get some miles on it, I'll fix whatever needs fixing for me. It's exactly what I wanted and it could only get better from there. By the way, I test rode a new Street Triple and found it very unpleasant. Like the Tiger, the FZ runs at a lower rpm and doesn't have the Street Triples chainsaw buzz to it. The feeling is totally different and way better for me. I also test rode the 690 Duke. It was a blast to ride, but thumper vibes are the worst. However, right now, if I had two bikes, the second would absolutely be the Duke. For the record, I also test rode the FZ-07 and bought the 09. For me, no contest.

By the way, reviews on the Brutale make the high price look even worse. Especially the triple shootouts where it came in at last place. For the money, it should have been way up on top.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For years I had hoped for a small, light, powerful naked bike that I could "multitask" with. Ever since I rode a friends Daytona 675 when they first came out I just knew a triple would be the Holy Grail and I still believe that.
It just didn't exist until the 09 showed up and there's still nothing like it, at least not now. As neat as the Street Triple is it just doesn't have the versatility and attitude of the Yamaha. I just don't see a luggage rack or even my wife on the back of the Triumph.
When the 09 was announced it was a no brainer for me. When the magazine guys commented about the crappy fueling and wonky suspension I just waited to buy one so I could decide on the best way, for me, to deal with the short comings. I have thrown more aftermarket money at this bike than any other new bike I've owned without regret. I have it pretty much perfect without bankrupting myself. I would love to say I have cartridge forks and a triple clicker shock but I don't. I will say the fork springs and Gold Valve along with the Penske 8900E improved the suspension by, oh, let's say 190%. Parts, labor, tax and shipping come to $1284. For fueling I did the Yamaha upgrade, no charge there and a big improvement. I've also spent a good bit on doodads and farkles along with a much improved seat, also without regrets
My biggest complaint was the CCT. I installed a manual one and 94 bucks ain't much in the overall picture but it still pissed me off to feel forced to do it.
I keep thinking about one of the questions asked during the FZ-09 focus group I attended------How do you feel when riding your FZ-09? I simply put down one word----"challenged". "Challenged" he asked and I said ya, you know, doing everything correctly and trying to keep that front wheel down! Hell man I'm almost seventy years old but this thing gives me a chubby everytime I ride it.
+ 100000000000000

"Challenged"

That's Classic :cool:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Was looking for a standard motorcycle with 'more' power than my Honda CBR250R. With the FZ-09, Yamaha delivered far beyond my expectations. I'm still surprised at myself for deciding to move from a 23 HP motorcycle to an FZ-09. No regrets, though. If I knew then what I know now, my decision would be the same.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts