Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
2020 XSR9, Shock Factory M rear, K-Tech fork pistons
213 Posts
I disagree,I think the front end is more important at the track then the rear

they are both important but If i could only do one I would do the forks

actually I did this in the early 2000's when I was racing a GSXR750. I sent the forks off to traxxion dynamics and was on a stock rear shock for a full season. I was racing in the expert class in CCS Florida.
It's an opinion but difficult to get the power down and stay down with the rear pogo stick. You can play around with oil/ air gap at the front to fine tune a reasonable fork but the rear?? Soooo bad.

· Registered
81 Posts
Racetech makes good, affordable springs. I had them on my cbr600rr. I think properly weighted springs and fork oil + trackday tires and brakepads would be good upgrades.
To clarify my point, change front and rear springs for your weight at the same time. Less downtime in my opinion, and easier to understand feedback. Go with more cost-effective upgrades in case you go a different direction as your skills progress. If you're serious about trackdays, you'll probaby want a different bike later on... might be looking to get a track/race-prepped sportbike and keep the MT as a street bike.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
To clarify my point, change front and rear springs for your weight at the same time. Less downtime in my opinion, and easier to understand feedback. Go with more cost-effective upgrades in case you go a different direction as your skills progress. If you're serious about trackdays, you'll probaby want a different bike later on... might be looking to get a track/race-prepped sportbike and keep the MT as a street bike.
Thanks Topdec. I’m leaning toward Racetec springs and 10w fork oil combined with the K-Tec Razor shock. That’ll balance things out without spending thousands on a bike that there are no race events for (to my knowledge). I have contemplated the possibility of doing some race events in the future so I have been thinking about getting something more specific for the track.

· Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,365 Posts
Racetech makes good, affordable springs. I had them on my cbr600rr. I think properly weighted springs and fork oil + trackday tires and brakepads would be good upgrades.
I bought Racetech stuff for my 77 CB550 but I don't think it's as high quality as K-Tech &Ohlins.

· Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Remember to check out our forum vendors. Many of them were instrumental in product development and supporting our community in the early days and continue to do so.

Stoltec Moto, for the win!

· Registered
81 Posts
Thanks Topdec. I’m leaning toward Racetec springs and 10w fork oil combined with the K-Tec Razor shock. That’ll balance things out without spending thousands on a bike that there are no race events for (to my knowledge). I have contemplated the possibility of doing some race events in the future so I have been thinking about getting something more specific for the track.
Sounds good. I actually went to a smaller bike for the track. I have a ninja 400..previous track tools were '05 SV650S, '09 600rr, '04 R6 and '18 765R. I think it would be fun to start racing on a small displacement bike. It helps develop skills for carrying corner speed instead of point-and-shoot. Tires will be cheaper too.

· Registered
27 Posts
I wish. Not Tally but I do like it quite a lot. It's Michigan-based Grattan Raceway. They've recently been repaving sections of it and I'm hooked!
Welcome to the forum. I’ve never been around Grattan on 2 wheels, but have a good amount of laps there on 4 wheels. It’s such a fun & challenging track with all elevation changes & blind turns.

I’ve watched a few POV bike race videos on YT, the section from the yump and into turn 5 has to feel sketch on 2 wheels.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Welcome to the forum. I’ve never been around Grattan on 2 wheels, but have a good amount of laps there on 4 wheels. It’s such a fun & challenging track with all elevation changes & blind turns.

I’ve watched a few POV bike race videos on YT, the section from the yump and into turn 5 has to feel sketch on 2 wheels.
Good to meet you! The vid is awesome. Never would have guessed I’d see a police cruiser on a hot lap at Grattan. Lol. Pretty cool. Yeah I’m hitting cresting the hill at 100 mph on the brakes hard for the turn in to 5. You get real light at the top of the hill. Loads of fun!!

· Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
GSXR. Maybe a class champion sometime in the 1999 to 2004 timeframe. He had a terrible last lap accident at Barber due to running out of fuel and being shunted a hundred yards down the front straight.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have owned 3 FJ-09's which as you know is a sibling to the MT. On my '19 I serviced the forks and changed to 15w oil. The change was noticeable on the street. I had already replaced the shock with an ohlin unit. The bike was much nicer to ride and adjustments were easy to make.
\

· Registered
335 Posts
If no decision was made yet, front first. As stated before, confidence in the front under braking is more important. For a budget rear, a ZX6R shock that was refreshed and sprung for my weight has done really well.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hi guys. I’ve decided to do both ends but in the interest if saving money for this season, I’m going with .95 springs and 10w oil. This will improve the front quite a bit over stock and I only plan to run this setup for one season. Next year, I’ll re-valve and custom piston with Stoltech Moto. For the rear I plan to go with Ktech Razor-R. I get Sport Bike Track Gear staff rider discount so the price is nice! I do track days with my son who works in sales at STG.
I may eventually pick up a track bike of the 600 ss or 750 variety for track days because I’m considering getting into some limited racing and as far as I can see there aren’t any races for our bikes.

· Administrator
3,428 Posts
Hi guys. I’ve decided to do both ends but in the interest if saving money for this season, I’m going with .95 springs and 10w oil. This will improve the front quite a bit over stock and I only plan to run this setup for one season. Next year, I’ll re-valve and custom piston with Stoltech Moto. For the rear I plan to go with Ktech Razor-R. I get Sport Bike Track Gear staff rider discount so the price is nice! I do track days with my son who works in sales at STG.
I may eventually pick up a track bike of the 600 ss or 750 variety for track days because I’m considering getting into some limited racing and as far as I can see there aren’t any races for our bikes.
Make sure to share lots of photos from your track days this coming season. We love that here.
I'm assuming you're up in the Michigan area? What tracks are you riding at?

· Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,365 Posts
That's a good way to do it imo. The new spring just ties into next years piston kit so no wasted spending. In the immediate future, you'll have a bike that's substantially better than stock.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts